Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 06:57 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
There is going to be so many people in Frisco. I dont see why people want to live there
It's still *relatively* affordable while having excellent schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 07:18 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, it starts out "luxury" but then it goes down and 30 years after it's built, nearby homeowners are begging the city to bulldoze it. The bigger the stretch of apartments the worse it gets as the inevitable decline sets in. Look at the Five Points area in northeast Dallas which in 1978 was the hot place for young professional singles - now it's crime central and I wouldn't walk through there in broad daylight never mind after dark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
But what about the Village Apartments over there by Skillman and Lovers? Those apartments are just as old and yet they havent gone downhill at all. I would go further to say those apartments have been a bright spot for that part of Dallas. I know this because I lived there for several years.
^^^Exactly.

Also, look at the Addison / Galleria area. It has held up well over the past 30 years and still remains a popular spot for young professionals despite all of the apartments. In fact, Addison has gone a decade with no more than 1 murder in a year.

Having a strong presence of high-paying corporate jobs and a central location helps to make up for the fact that the housing was built a long time ago, as such a location is more likely to attract the demographic that is willing to pay the higher rents for a landlord to keep their complexes modernized.

However, I will say town/suburbs that tend to be far-flung bedroom communities and lack close proximity to high-paying jobs definitely seem to suffer a lot more once these apartment complexes age.

Last edited by citidata18; 01-09-2021 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-11-2021, 02:40 PM

379 posts, read 366,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, it starts out "luxury" but then it goes down and 30 years after it's built, nearby homeowners are begging the city to bulldoze it. The bigger the stretch of apartments the worse it gets as the inevitable decline sets in. Look at the Five Points area in northeast Dallas which in 1978 was the hot place for young professional singles - now it's crime central and I wouldn't walk through there in broad daylight never mind after dark.
You can say the exact same thing about many single family neighborhoods as well.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:05 AM

313 posts, read 368,323 times
It seems like investors are buying up homes in Dallas for rentals more than areas in Plano and Frisco but maybe those are rising as well. It seems like there's an increasing amount of non-owner occupied homes, even in the wealthiest areas.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:54 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
It seems like investors are buying up homes in Dallas for rentals more than areas in Plano and Frisco but maybe those are rising as well. It seems like there's an increasing amount of non-owner occupied homes, even in the wealthiest areas.
Quote:
Just over half of Dallas County households rent rather than owning a home, and the number of renters is up sharply in the past 10 years.

Some 50.1 percent of Dallas County households rented in 2017 and 49.9 percent of households were homeowners, according to the most recent data available in a new report from Apartment List.

That compares to 44 percent renters and 56 percent homeowners in 2008, according to the apartments listing site.

The Dallas County home ownership rate now stands far below the national rate of about 64 percent.
From here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...allas.amp.html

Dallas County has a slight majority of households that rent. I’d assume that percentage has increased the last few years and I would also assume the percentage would be higher in Dallas proper. Many reasons for this. I don’t see it as a good or bad thing, but property values have gone up dramatically over the last decade.

Investors are buying houses all over. I was trying to buy an investment property near Love Field but I was a few years too late. Builders are now buying entire blocks around there for redevelopment.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-neighborhood/

Old 01-18-2021, 04:51 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Any place such as the aforementioned towns that has becomes a significant job center (not just office jobs, but medical, retail, logistics etc.) can expect its share of renters to rise unless it's a very high end community. It's normal.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:47 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Any place such as the aforementioned towns that has becomes a significant job center (not just office jobs, but medical, retail, logistics etc.) can expect its share of renters to rise unless it's a very high end community. It's normal.
I think that’s the problem. People in Frisco and McKinney think those are high end towns which is why the building of apartments is so upsetting to them. It’s a shock to them that they actually live in regular suburbia. Not quite the bragging rights they had in mind.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:59 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
I think that’s the problem. People in Frisco and McKinney think those are high end towns which is why the building of apartments is so upsetting to them. It’s a shock to them that they actually live in regular suburbia. Not quite the bragging rights they had in mind.

I wouldn't call any city in Collin county regular suburbia compared to most of the US... we're just used to it here. In 2018 the median household income for Collin was $96k. For the US, it was $63k. That's a 52% increase, which is why Collin is referred to as an affluent county. The 2020 census results aren't in yet, but back in 2010, Collin ranked #42 in richest counties in the US... which is pretty impressive considering how spread out it is.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:53 AM

578 posts, read 479,204 times
These are hand-picked numbers by RentCafé, a nationwide apartment search website. If you are a regular-IQ suburbian, you can tell the report is nothing more than an infomercial.

"share of renters surged by 59 percent" like some bs in TV ads. Does that means renter percentage rise from 10% to 69%, or from 1% to a whopping 1.59%?

Just give out the raw numbers. I don't need your fake research. Last time I checked, homeownership is Frisco is still >70%, and a lot of rental properties are actually SFH bought by individual investors and companies.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:37 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
But what about the Village Apartments over there by Skillman and Lovers? Those apartments are just as old and yet they havent gone downhill at all. I would go further to say those apartments have been a bright spot for that part of Dallas. I know this because I lived there for several years.
The Village is still happening, I know lots of people who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas