Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 09:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times

Advertisements

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/c...ing-wallethub/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 11:40 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Yay Irving

Old 02-26-2021, 08:37 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
This reminds me of when my brother in law and his wife lived in Irving a decade ago. That time taught me a lot about the dynamics of Irving, a city that I personally have no problems with.
My brother in law specifically lived in Valley Ranch. His wife would be VERY quick to let you know that she lived in Valley Ranch, and getting her to admit that VR was in fact a part of the city of Irving was like pulling teeth. She would go on and on about how VR had it's own private patrols and had very little to do with Irving proper. We used to get a kick out of telling people she lived in Irving, just to watch her squirm. Then they sold and moved to Frisco, which I suppose was where she was really destined to be. A real joy to be around as you can tell.

But to a degree, she was right. Irving south of 183 might as well be in a different universe compared to Valley Ranch and to a lesser degree Las Colinas. Very different demographics (primarily Mexican in South Irving, Indian/Chinese in VR/LC). South Irving is served by Irving ISD schools (for the most part fairly mediocre) while VA/LC are served by Coppell (one of the best districts). And needless to say, far wealthier and affluent in the northern part of the city.
Still, all in all a decent city and long may it continue to thrive.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:17 AM

I have owned six houses in Irving:

Valley Ranch (CFISD side)
Las Colinas (Cottonwood Valley)
Hospital District
Beverly Oaks townhouse/condo community
Lakes/Villig Area

Every single house has had delightful neighbors and never a crime issue. I love the proximity to the city and DART. Each area is unique and I have enjoyed every area. Its an inner circle old burb. I’m a huge fan.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
This reminds me of when my brother in law and his wife lived in Irving a decade ago. That time taught me a lot about the dynamics of Irving, a city that I personally have no problems with.
My brother in law specifically lived in Valley Ranch. His wife would be VERY quick to let you know that she lived in Valley Ranch, and getting her to admit that VR was in fact a part of the city of Irving was like pulling teeth. She would go on and on about how VR had it's own private patrols and had very little to do with Irving proper. We used to get a kick out of telling people she lived in Irving, just to watch her squirm. Then they sold and moved to Frisco, which I suppose was where she was really destined to be. A real joy to be around as you can tell.

But to a degree, she was right. Irving south of 183 might as well be in a different universe compared to Valley Ranch and to a lesser degree Las Colinas. Very different demographics (primarily Mexican in South Irving, Indian/Chinese in VR/LC). South Irving is served by Irving ISD schools (for the most part fairly mediocre) while VA/LC are served by Coppell (one of the best districts). And needless to say, far wealthier and affluent in the northern part of the city.
Still, all in all a decent city and long may it continue to thrive.
We live south of 183 (purchased 6 years ago) and most of the neighborhoods down here are lovely. There are a few areas with sketchy apartments but for the most part, it's character homes full of charm. We love that our neighbors are a diverse mix from around the world. We have Indian, Mexican and Nepalese neighbors. It's pretty stellar.

I actually really appreciate the fact that people don't really know the truth about South Irving (as south of 183 is called) because it feels like we have a huge secret. When friends from Frisco, Grapevine or even Valley Ranch come to visit and drive into our neighborhood, they're shocked at how nice it is. That our lot is almost 1/2 acre and that a good chunk of the people here have chickens. They think South Irving is a dismal place full of crime and squalor. I have to point out that one of the worst neighborhoods for crime in Irving is actually north of 183.

The one bad thing about South Irving is the secret seems to be out and there are signs of gentrification and people are already getting driven out by rising property taxes. (I suppose my husband and I are part of that because we bought here and renovated so it's probably hypocritical for me to even be upset about it.) I think within 10 years a lot of the diversity we see right now in South Irving will be gone. One of the houses in our area that was on a large lot was bought, torn down and they built three houses on that one lot. I think we'll see more of that in the future. The city is looking at how to handle building more affordable housing but we all know how that usually goes nowadays.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutious View Post
We live south of 183 (purchased 6 years ago) and most of the neighborhoods down here are lovely. There are a few areas with sketchy apartments but for the most part, it's character homes full of charm. We love that our neighbors are a diverse mix from around the world. We have Indian, Mexican and Nepalese neighbors. It's pretty stellar.

I actually really appreciate the fact that people don't really know the truth about South Irving (as south of 183 is called) because it feels like we have a huge secret. When friends from Frisco, Grapevine or even Valley Ranch come to visit and drive into our neighborhood, they're shocked at how nice it is. That our lot is almost 1/2 acre and that a good chunk of the people here have chickens. They think South Irving is a dismal place full of crime and squalor. I have to point out that one of the worst neighborhoods for crime in Irving is actually north of 183.

The one bad thing about South Irving is the secret seems to be out and there are signs of gentrification and people are already getting driven out by rising property taxes. (I suppose my husband and I are part of that because we bought here and renovated so it's probably hypocritical for me to even be upset about it.) I think within 10 years a lot of the diversity we see right now in South Irving will be gone. One of the houses in our area that was on a large lot was bought, torn down and they built three houses on that one lot. I think we'll see more of that in the future. The city is looking at how to handle building more affordable housing but we all know how that usually goes nowadays.
Shhh.......Keep it a secret!
However, I see the dynamic housing market is not escaping South Irving. Not surprising since Irving is so well located to DFW, the city and of course Irving itself offers entertainment and great restaurants. As an owner in Irving, I still get frustrated with the school district’s relatively low performance.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:53 AM

138 posts, read 216,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Shhh.......Keep it a secret!
However, I see the dynamic housing market is not escaping South Irving. Not surprising since Irving is so well located to DFW, the city and of course Irving itself offers entertainment and great restaurants. As an owner in Irving, I still get frustrated with the school district’s relatively low performance.
The district is around is 75% low socioeconomic economic status and around 45%-50%(depending on the year) English language learners. Irving ISD’s performance tends to punch above of its peer districts. You have to remember the IISD boundary ends at the Singley Academy property line. Anything north of Singley is Coppell or Carrollton-Farmers Branch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas