Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 11:19 PM

22 posts, read 38,492 times

Advertisements

We are conservative and not Christian.

Having trouble finding a private school in which we might fit in.

Any ideas?

Old 05-31-2021, 11:17 AM

5,848 posts, read 4,182,960 times
I guess I didn't realize that private schools were either liberal or conservative. What exactly is the difference?

Old 05-31-2021, 11:24 AM

446 posts, read 1,006,733 times
I honestly can't envision a school model like this. Do you have an example of a school in another location that fits this description?

Old 05-31-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I guess I didn't realize that private schools were either liberal or conservative. What exactly is the difference?
For example, most families at the school share the same political beliefs, which can make it hard for families of other beliefs to fit in socially.

The school itself may also incorporate topics into the curriculum that support certain political beliefs.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
I honestly can't envision a school model like this. Do you have an example of a school in another location that fits this description?
I don't. That is just how my family is, and we are struggling to find our community here.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:07 PM

313 posts, read 368,731 times
Rural areas will be more conservative. Schools often go private to have religious freedom. There may be some private schools with nominal chapel requirements.

Old 05-31-2021, 03:58 PM

To clarify, the school does not have to be specifically conservative; we are just looking for an environment where our family won't be ostracized. I am finding many of the non-Christian school communities in DFW to be completely intolerant of non-liberal viewpoints.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:27 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,245,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwanon View Post
I am finding many of the non-Christian school communities in DFW to be completely intolerant of non-liberal viewpoints.

Somehow, I get the feeling that the intolerance is on your part, seeing as how you're specifically trying to put your children in an echo chamber of what they hear at home.

Most people around here are pretty moderate one way or the other. That has been my experience living in Dallas, Plano, McKinney, and now Prosper.

There's a saying, a TX Democrat is a Republican anywhere else. While that doesn't ring as true as it used to, most people don't wear their politics on their sleeve around here and it's a bit laughable that you'd forego the best education for your kids just because you view a school as being "too liberal."

Old 05-31-2021, 05:38 PM

153 posts, read 110,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Somehow, I get the feeling that the intolerance is on your part, seeing as how you're specifically trying to put your children in an echo chamber of what they hear at home.

Most people around here are pretty moderate one way or the other. That has been my experience living in Dallas, Plano, McKinney, and now Prosper.

There's a saying, a TX Democrat is a Republican anywhere else. While that doesn't ring as true as it used to, most people don't wear their politics on their sleeve around here and it's a bit laughable that you'd forego the best education for your kids just because you view a school as being "too liberal."
+1. I agree. If you want secular, pick a public school. If you want conservative, pick a school district that conservatives make up most of the voting base and get involved in extracurricular activities. Look towards the suburban or rural ISDs on the outskirts of town.

But again, why forcefully place a child in an echo chamber. This is a question asked of me often as a black American by "woke" black Americans. Why do you allow your children to be educated in a system that pretty much teaches them that they're inferior? By this, they mean that the school curriculum comes from a eurocentric point of view. Black history starts with slavery in America. Most talk about blacks are enslaved people that struggled until the majority was compassionate enough to grant them an inalienable right. Children are taught Christopher Columbus discovered a place. No mention of how Columbus treated the natives(Arawaks). Children are even taught about white greek gods. Etc etc. So white children are shown many instances of relatable people being presidents, discoverers, gods, etc. Black children showed that they come from nothing but enslavement and struggle.

The "woke" crowd would suggest taking my kids out of school and home schooling with "woke" parents. My response is always the same. If that's the way kids are being taught, I want mine to know that version of education as well. It's up to you as a parent to fill in the gaps with what the schools fail to teach. You don't really understand a subject unless you can intelligently argue different points of views related to that subject. You must be well-rounded and know different facets of a subject matter. Despite the shortcomings of the school curriculum, my children know much more history than what is taught. They know black history beyond transatlantic slave trade and the great learning centers and philosophies that came out of Africa that some europeans came to learn. They know the other side of the Christopher Colombus story. They know the other side of Helen Keller. Not just the "pick yourself up by the bootstrap" version taught in school but the adult side of her.

Education shouldn't be about brainwashing and echo chambers. It should be about teaching them critical thinking and exposing them to various points of views. They can then use their critical thinking skills to form their own beliefs. If the area or country is continuing down the path of liberal ideas, perhaps your child will be able to understand the arguments enough to logically combat them, sway people to the other side, and save conservatism. Good luck!

Last edited by IamLegend2000; 05-31-2021 at 05:46 PM..

Old 05-31-2021, 05:54 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwanon View Post
To clarify, the school does not have to be specifically conservative; we are just looking for an environment where our family won't be ostracized. I am finding many of the non-Christian school communities in DFW to be completely intolerant of non-liberal viewpoints.
Maybe Lakehill?

I would guess that some of the nominally affiliated privates would still be pretty accepting even if you aren’t of their faith as long as you are ok with the required theology courses or church related activities.

Not sure which schools you are referring to that are intolerant of non-liberal viewpoints (maybe Greenhill?), but there can’t be that many schools that fit the description around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas