Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 08:45 PM

13 posts, read 11,093 times

Advertisements

I live in Plano right now by Central Market. I need to live next to Costco next to Coit and Churchill (long story). I am looking at Briscoe Apts or Crest at Park Central and read some reviews but I do not know what is the truth. How does it compare to the Plano area, in terms of safety, walking on the street at night doing some shopping at Costco (closes at 8:30PM) or walking on Merit Drive? How are those two apartments complexes in general? I like Plano very much but I am not familiar so much with Dallas as I just moved to Plano about a year ago and have not really run around much except to go food shopping. Sorry for being so ignorant but I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to know as I do not know anything. Don't mean to offend anyone and please forgive me if you feel insulted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 05:39 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Those apartments are fine. For whatever reason Forest lane east of 75 gets kinda sketchy. Lots of homeless hanging out right there under the overpass but everything West of 75 is fine. I was surprised to see an actual camp of them for a while there, but the city installed a load of jagged rocks under the overpass and removed the camp.

That area isn’t really walkable but there are some good trails and parks just to the west.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 06-10-2021 at 05:49 AM..

Old 06-10-2021, 06:05 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
It's not as safe as Plano, but I wouldn't call that area dangerous. Just be aware of an increased chance of car break ins, petty theft, etc. But it sounds like you don't have a car so if that's the case I wouldn't be too worried, try to get an apartment that isn't on the ground floor.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:46 AM

13 posts, read 11,093 times
Default Thank you all so much

Thank you for providing your comments....

I typed into the Dallas Police Open Data the address of the 2 apartments:

https://www.dallasopendata.com/Publi...qv6i-rri7/data

There are crimes there but is the area improving, i.e. is it becoming safer or worse?

I understand that there are a lot of vehicle break-ins, which is horrible of course, but will they break into our apartment, will be attacked walking on the street during the day or early evenings (should we fear for our lives)?

I greatly appreciate this feedback!!!!

Old 06-10-2021, 09:17 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoLovesDallas View Post
Thank you for providing your comments....

I typed into the Dallas Police Open Data the address of the 2 apartments:

https://www.dallasopendata.com/Publi...qv6i-rri7/data

There are crimes there but is the area improving, i.e. is it becoming safer or worse?

I understand that there are a lot of vehicle break-ins, which is horrible of course, but will they break into our apartment, will be attacked walking on the street during the day or early evenings (should we fear for our lives)?

I greatly appreciate this feedback!!!!
As long as you don’t sell drugs or hang out with people who do then you’re not likely to be randomly attacked. Most violent crime centers around gang confrontations, drug sales, and domestic violence. Don’t walk alone in the dark at 4 am, lock your doors, don’t keep valuables out in plain site in your car, and you’ll be fine.

The area just west of those apartments is an extremely affluent part of North Dallas, way nicer than anything in Plano. They seem to get by just fine.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:45 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
I live somewhat nearby there, but further southeast towards the tollroad. In general - that area is safe. It’s kind of an odd quiet pocket of apartments tucked between some very very nice neighborhoods and the Medical City complex.

Be aware the landscape changes quicker when you cross LBJ on Coit (quickly get into a high crime area) or 75 (the Forest / Audelia/ 635 area is one of the highest crime parts of Dallas).

The corner of Forest & 75 is pretty awful as far as basically being an outdoor homeless shelter, lots of tents, trash, vagrants and I assume drugs. There is a psych hospital adjacent to Medical City which is apparently how many of the people you see ended up in the area. I live close enough that I see posts on my NextDoor feed - most of the complaints tend to be sanitation / eyesore related vs crime related though I would not feel safe crossing that intersection on foot.

I assume you do not have a car and will be working at Costco. For that purpose, the little apartment area you considering is totally fine. Just keep your basic “city smarts” about you that you should already be doing in Plano: lock your apartment, don’t leave bikes or other valuables on the patio, don’t walk alone when it’s dark outside, etc.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:54 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

The corner of Forest & 75 is pretty awful as far as basically being an outdoor homeless shelter, lots of tents, trash, vagrants and I assume drugs.
Yes I was in that area a few weeks ago and there were peeps sleeping all over

Old 06-10-2021, 12:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
Yes I was in that area a few weeks ago and there were peeps sleeping all over
Yes, every post on NextDoor about that area turns into an argument about the best way to help because a few kind-hearted but misguided neighbors think they are helping when they give them cash.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:31 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes, every post on NextDoor about that area turns into an argument about the best way to help because a few kind-hearted but misguided neighbors think they are helping when they give them cash.
I read that nearly every day and just want to scream.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:50 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoLovesDallas View Post
I live in Plano right now by Central Market. I need to live next to Costco next to Coit and Churchill (long story). I am looking at Briscoe Apts or Crest at Park Central and read some reviews but I do not know what is the truth. How does it compare to the Plano area, in terms of safety, walking on the street at night doing some shopping at Costco (closes at 8:30PM) or walking on Merit Drive? How are those two apartments complexes in general? I like Plano very much but I am not familiar so much with Dallas as I just moved to Plano about a year ago and have not really run around much except to go food shopping. Sorry for being so ignorant but I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to know as I do not know anything. Don't mean to offend anyone and please forgive me if you feel insulted.
IMO the close in area around the Costco is nice and clean and appears safe. The the close apts. seem nice.

If you'd be walking around at night I'd consider a few things.

A). If it makes sense and Costco allows lockable storage consider a firearm, sadly that's probably a no go.

B). Whether or not a firearm makes sense - and I understand it's unlikely - consider pepper spray, a boat horn and a bright flashlight. I keep something called SeaSense canned boat horns on my boats and you cannot believe how loud they are. The ones I have would likely be too big but I'm sure some company makes a small form factor but very loud horn. Scumbags hate noise and they really hate horns and sirens.

Using a flashlight shows that one is at least somewhat situationally prepared.......criminals often shy away from people who appear prepared.

I have a few of this flashlight and wholeheartedly recommend the device. Truth is you can get 90% of the functionality for 1/2 the price easily but I'm big on Li-ion powered high brightness flashlights.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e3...SAAEgKPFfD_BwE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: