Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 04:02 PM

223 posts, read 141,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The tree's are the only thing that gives it a different vibe but the Architecture is really not that spectacular. Dallas has always held it's own against Atlanta and Houston.....Even with the Taller tree's...

Thats just my opinion.
I grew up in Dallas. Been here since the (early) 1980's.

Dallas is now very nice looking, new and urban. I love the new projects being built everywhere.

In the 1980's and 90's I thought Dallas was ugly as hell.
I was not proud of being from this city at all except for the Dallas Cowboys.

I've never thought downtown Dallas was anything that special to look at. Truthfully.....I still don't. The Uptown addition is what makes the Dallas CBD impressive.

So...no.....Dallas has not always held its own against Houston and Atlanta. That is blatantly not true.

The Dallas construction boom of the early 80's petered out after the oil bust in the late 80's. For about a 10-12 year stretch there was not a lot of new construction of high rise buildings.

Meanwhile Atlanta and Houston had these incredibly impressive city centers that could all pass as a second downtown.

In 2001 when Im working in Atlanta they have additional skyline districts of Midtown and Buckhead (not to mention Dunwoody) which are both badass.

Houston has additional skyline districts of their Uptown Galleria area, and Texas Medical Center which are both awesome.

Dallas had no such thing until very recently....like the last 8-12 years....and our uptown has height restrictions because it sits in the flight path to Love Field Airport. Atlanta and Houston don't have height restrictions for their Uptowns.

Go back and look at pictures when the American Airlines Center opened.....there were very few other buildings out there.
Where victory park is now located used to be a Sewage Treatment plant. Victory Park used to be a very ugly part of Dallas.

and like I keep saying for all the homers.....Dallas is slowly catching up....but in the 90's and early 2000's Atlanta and Houston had way more impressive buildings than Dallas.

It was not even close.

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 07-13-2021 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 04:05 PM

869 posts, read 320,790 times
Quote:
If Dallas has more buildings more urban districts more population more EVERYTHING..... what are we catching up to? ........asking for a friend.
I think he meant that the LOOK of Atlanta's urban areas is what Dallas is catching up to.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:17 PM

223 posts, read 141,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Downtown Atlanta looks bigger not because of height. It’s due to its major buildings being spread out over a longer distance. It’s more of an illusion than anything else. Just look how far way the BOA Plaza Atlanta is from the other clusters of tall buildings. Downtown Atlanta doesn’t have as many tall buildings as Downtown Dallas.

I do agree, Dallas doesn’t have a Buckhead section. Highland Park will never be like Buckhead. Highrises and commercial buildings aren’t allowed. Preston Center has new highrise projects on the way. The tallest being 350 ft. That area has the most potential to be Buckhead-like. It took years to fight against the NIMBYs so highrise projects could get started in Preston Center. I believe some are still trying to stop highrise development in the area.

Just for comparison

Downtown Atlanta flyover

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=By99Zc...ature=youtu.be

Downtown Dallas flyover (skip to 7:50)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AkOIw-...ature=youtu.be
Guys,

Please stop it.

I'm a long time (8-10 years) lurker of this board who just recently decided to bite the bullet and join the forum.
I totally understand you and DallasBoi are massive Dallas homers that will defend this city to the death, and I appreciate that......but you also have to be honest.

Lying to yourself does no good. You must be honest with things that Dallas can improve on.

I've spent a ton of time in Houston, Atlanta and Dallas. You are never going to convince me that Dallas has more impressive architecture or buildings than those other two cities.

In the 1990's it was very noticeable that Houston and Atlanta had way more buildings than us. We have been slowly catching up over the past 20 years.

We had no Uptown or Victory Park...and The Texas Medical Center and Buckhead were 10x cooler looking than Las Colinas or Richardson.

I completely understand that "Downtown" Atlanta itself is not that impressive...but in todays world most people (myself included) consider downtown Atlanta to be everything from Midtown Atlanta when you take that turn on I-75 to downtown Atlanta which is south of I-75 on the other side of that gigantic red sky scraper.

Dallas is approaching the same thing. I now consider Uptown Dallas and Downtown to all be the Dallas CBD.

Because of Atlanta's lack of height restrictions their Uptown and Downtown is more impressive than Dallas Uptown and downtown.

How amazing would uptown Dallas (and all of the CBD) look if uptown Dallas did not have height restrictions and the current buildings were all 10-20 stories higher?

and again....I'm so glad that all these building are getting built. Dallas was very average looking before Uptown and Victory Park.

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 07-13-2021 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-13-2021, 07:21 PM

511 posts, read 401,551 times
Houston has that massive and tall feeling to its skycrapers, but Dallas skyline looks better and more recognizable. Houston has the true "big city" scale skycrapers IMO. And when it comes to walkability in the downtown area, Dallas wins.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:57 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,461,653 times
Quote:
The tree's are the only thing that gives it a different vibe but the Architecture is really not that spectacular. Dallas has always held it's own against Atlanta and Houston.....Even with the Taller tree's...

Thats just my opinion.
Trees...not Tree's dallasboi.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post

Dallas is now very nice looking, new and urban. I love the new projects being built everywhere.

I've never thought downtown Dallas was anything that special to look at. Truthfully.....I still don't. The Uptown addition is what makes the Dallas CBD impressive.

So...no.....Dallas has not always held its own against Houston and Atlanta. That is blatantly not true.

The Dallas construction boom of the early 80's petered out after the oil bust in the late 80's. For about a 10-12 year stretch there was not a lot of new construction of high rise buildings.

Meanwhile Atlanta and Houston had these incredibly impressive city centers that could all pass as a second downtown.

In 2001 when Im working in Atlanta they have additional skyline districts of Midtown and Buckhead (not to mention Dunwoody) which are both badass.

Houston has additional skyline districts of their Uptown Galleria area, and Texas Medical Center which are both awesome.

Dallas had no such thing until very recently....like the last 8-12 years....and our uptown has height restrictions because it sits in the flight path to Love Field Airport. Atlanta and Houston don't have height restrictions for their Uptowns.

Go back and look at pictures when the American Airlines Center opened.....there were very few other buildings out there.
Where victory park is now located used to be a Sewage Treatment plant. Victory Park used to be a very ugly part of Dallas.

and like I keep saying for all the homers.....Dallas is slowly catching up....but in the 90's and early 2000's Atlanta and Houston had way more impressive buildings than Dallas.

It was not even close.
The Dallas skyline has always been seen as having the most "FLASH" and the best Architecture out of the big cities in Texas. Houston has always been known for the massive size and height of all the big cities in Texas.

So I disagree.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:41 PM

Just a reminder to keep you informed of what Dallas is.......

https://youtu.be/y1doKCK7Dwk ...

Old 07-14-2021, 09:06 AM

5,630 posts, read 4,955,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
Houston has that massive and tall feeling to its skycrapers, but Dallas skyline looks better and more recognizable. Houston has the true "big city" scale skycrapers IMO. And when it comes to walkability in the downtown area, Dallas wins.
I think both cities have some interesting-looking skyscrapers, though I find I come to value those less as I age versus the ground-level environment.

On that note, why do you find Dallas' downtown more walkable? Houston has made enormous strides on that score over the last 20 years. Yes, into the 1990s it was pretty awful, but the change has been massive.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:14 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,364,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post

It was not even close.
As someone who has lived in all three cities, I think I have a good perspective.
Dunwoody is a residential area. There's nothing there. Now if you speak to the Perimeter area just to its west with king/queen towers, I understand. The one KEY difference is Dallas is D/FW Outside the Perimeter285 ring of Atlanta, there is no real skyline. Altanta's vista is straight north to the Perimeter. Houston's skyline runs is basically downtown westward to Uptown/Galleria. Dallas is more nuance is that its Northward but more spread out because you have Irving's Las Colinas towers to the west and now if you head north to Plano/Frisco, several towers have been built. Last, you have the skyline of Fort Worth for which neither Atlanta nor Houston have though The Woodlands may reach that level in 10 years.

There's a photo takes in 2001 and 2021 of Dallas's Uptown area, especially Victory Park where the American Airlines Center is located. In the past 20 years, I'm betting 20 million sq of mid-to-hi rise construction has been added and more is under construction. Houston had that boom 2001-2010 on the east side of downtown and the northside of the Uptown area.

Old 07-14-2021, 04:13 PM

21 posts, read 23,306 times
As someone who has never been to Houston OR Atlanta (and probably never will), I am somewhat bewildered about this pissing contest we are witnessing here. Who cares about comparisons with those cities...? Not me. I am pleased to hear about this new development though. I remember there was talk about Perot Jr doing the development on the south side of WR on field street, and there was even talk of a monster "Houston-beating" skyscraper at that time. But then Covid happened. I have lived in Dallas since 2002 (and even lived downtown for a year early on), and the area has improved immensely. No comparisons necessary, except to the way it used to be in the early 2000s, when downtown Dallas was the pits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas