Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 10:18 AM

329 posts, read 283,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
You called the Northside a cesspool now... well not according to the map. Just LET IT GO. I lived in the light blue are of no homicides. I am sure the North Shore Suburbs are low.
I called the north side a cesspool because as of 2021, according to the most recent statistics, it is a cesspool, with robberies, burglaries, and carjackings up significantly as compared to 2019 and 2020.

I’m not comparing Chicago’s north side against the crime-ridden south and west sides. I’m comparing the crime rate of the north side in 2021 against the crime rate in the north side in 2019 and 2020.

According to Block Club Chicago, a nonprofit news organization delivering reliable and nonpartisan coverage of Chicago’s neighborhoods:

The 20th District saw 121 robberies in 2021, up 26 percent from 2020, statistics show. District 24 saw 224 robberies last year, up 29 percent from the year prior. Theft increased by 26 percent year-over-year in the 20th District and by 29 percent in the 24th District.

Robberies in the district increased to 334 last year versus 307 in 2020, a nine percent jump. Criminal sexual assaults jumped to 100 in 2021 compared to 69 in 2020, while burglaries in the district fell 17 percent year-over-year, according to the district.

Carjackings also rose sharply in Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park and West Ridge.

The 24th District saw 47 carjackings last year compared to 21 in 2020 and 9 in 2019, crime stats show. The 20th District saw 24 carjackings in 2021 versus 12 in 2020 and 4 in 2019.

There were 53 carjackings in the 19th District last year compared to 39 in 2020 and 11 in 2019.

Source: https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/01...interventions/

You can spin this data however you wish, the reality is the north side is not safe any longer.

Maybe you’ve lived in Chicago too long and your opinion as to what constitutes a safe area has been justifiably compromised due to the rampant crime problem in Chicago.

And anecdotally, many women don’t feel safe on the north side at night either. I know a 30 year-old woman who works at a trendy furniture store near Gold Coast/River North, and lives near Streeterville, and she told me she does not feel safe walking by herself in those neighborhoods at night. She said her female friends don’t either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Also remember there is NO comparing the the HUGE SUBURBS of a Dallas to Chicago's generally, much smaller town suburbs ..... Glencoe you bring up has like less than 9000 people. Plano... OMG what over 245,000. The largest suburb of Chicago is Naperville at like 150,000 and get generally listed as a top 5 suburb in the Nation. Some in the top 3.
Uh, you’re repeating verbatim what I stated. Glencoe and Plano aren’t comparable. I would know, as someone who grew up in both Wilmette and West Plano.

Also, I have no clue why you’re bringing Houston into this conversation comparing crime rates in Chicago versus Dallas.

Last edited by Xalistiq; 04-20-2022 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 10:32 AM

329 posts, read 283,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
There certainly are very wealthy areas in Dallas, but it is ironic that you immediately name two cities that aren't part of Dallas.
As has been stated, Dallas and Chicago are geographically different in how their best neighborhoods are laid out.

The Park Cities are independent cities surrounded by Dallas, whereas Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, and Glencoe are 15+ miles north of downtown Chicago.

These geographical differences do not change the fact that these neighborhoods are comparable in terms of wealth, the quality of their respective school districts, and look and feel.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:40 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalistiq View Post
As has been stated, Dallas and Chicago are geographically different in how their best neighborhoods are laid out.

The Park Cities are independent cities surrounded by Dallas, whereas Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, and Glencoe are 15+ miles north of downtown Chicago.

These geographical differences do not change the fact that these neighborhoods are comparable in terms of wealth, the quality of their respective school districts, and look and feel.
We may not agree on economic issues but your take of Chicagoland vs. DFW within the context of this conversation is just about perfect IMO.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:36 AM

278 posts, read 216,242 times
Uptown Dallas/Deep Ellum starting to feel like Chicago in terms of crime. I also feel like people do not take into account the death rate on roads here in DFW including road rage.

I feel like for single/couples Chicago Downtown is actually a better deal financially overall now than Dallas by a mile. You can rent a decent sized 1 bedroom for 1400-1500$ in full amenity building high rise made out of concrete - within walking distance to your office. You also get paid more in Chicago because somehow everyone still thinks Chicago is expensive and DFW is cheap.

You'd pay same in DFW for an apartment made out of carton boxes and then add 2 cars on top of it for a couple.

Chicago's suburbs are very safe, and you don't have to deal with death roads and road rage. You can take Metra into downtown, 20-30 mins and you got theatres etc available to you. Honestly, it might become a better financial choice since DFW suburbs are exploding in insane value.

Old 04-22-2022, 09:31 PM

578 posts, read 299,783 times
Curious question, does Chicago see very different crime rates in warmer seasons? Or does crime rate stay similar independent of season?

Old 04-22-2022, 10:57 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Curious question, does Chicago see very different crime rates in warmer seasons? Or does crime rate stay similar independent of season?
As soon as the weather gets warmer, crime rates increase. There's even a saying "suns out, guns out". It's really sad. Summer time is the best time of year in Chicago, but it also means crime can get out of control.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:37 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
As soon as the weather gets warmer, crime rates increase. There's even a saying "suns out, guns out". It's really sad. Summer time is the best time of year in Chicago, but it also means crime can get out of control.
Can get out of control?

Old 04-23-2022, 10:09 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenro911 View Post
Uptown Dallas/Deep Ellum starting to feel like Chicago in terms of crime. I also feel like people do not take into account the death rate on roads here in DFW including road rage.

I feel like for single/couples Chicago Downtown is actually a better deal financially overall now than Dallas by a mile. You can rent a decent sized 1 bedroom for 1400-1500$ in full amenity building high rise made out of concrete - within walking distance to your office. You also get paid more in Chicago because somehow everyone still thinks Chicago is expensive and DFW is cheap.

You'd pay same in DFW for an apartment made out of carton boxes and then add 2 cars on top of it for a couple.

Chicago's suburbs are very safe, and you don't have to deal with death roads and road rage. You can take Metra into downtown, 20-30 mins and you got theatres etc available to you. Honestly, it might become a better financial choice since DFW suburbs are exploding in insane value.
When I lived here in 2016, Uptown was "the place" so I was surprised to hear from multiple people that it has gone down hill and now has a crime problem. That's a shame.

Yes, driving here is scary at times. You have to drive on the highway to get anywhere and higher speeds means more chances of fatal accidents. I see car crashes all the time but in Chicago they were pretty rare.

Your Chicago downtown rent prices are a bit off. I would expect to pay a minimum of $2000 for a 1br to live downtown in a pretty generic building. For a luxury building, add a few hundred more to the price. My friend moved into a brand new luxury building during the pandemic and the price for a 1br is $2750/mo.

Outside of downtown, prices are much better. Like I said originally, my rent in Chicago was actually lower than it is here, although I do live in a nicer complex.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:59 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I don’t want Walmart to sell liquor
Why? Why should you tell anybody what they can sell?

Old 04-25-2022, 11:12 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
As soon as the weather gets warmer, crime rates increase. There's even a saying "suns out, guns out". It's really sad. Summer time is thly e best time of year in Chicago, but it also means crime can get out of control.
I suspected there was a season element to crime. Now I wonder if cold weather cities overall crime rates are skewed low by the reduced crime rate in cold weather of if it just means crime rate in warmer weather is hotter in a bad way?.

Similarly I wonder if extreme hot summer days see lower crime rates as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas