Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 06:02 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimandben View Post
It doesn't have to be Dallas County. It can be further suburbs or towns further out. We both work from home right now (and not because of Covid). We can go higher and have about $50k for a down payment.

We know it's a tough sell, though, which is why I am seeking ideas on areas where it might be more doable.
For $50k you could probably swing 10% down+closing costs on someplace in the $350k range, since you have no other debts other than a car loan. Rates are low enough that I'd try and borrow as much as I can possibly get away with.

Where would you end up commuting to if you both were to go back into the office? That would help narrow down your options. Your commute to Legacy is going to look very different from Downtown, and your options for where you can live without spending half your day in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 06:45 PM

899 posts, read 671,964 times
You could consider using the DART system, allowing you to skip driving if you live near a station, or you could park and ride. My brother used to do that; DFW is legendary for its traffic jams but riding the train could help you avoid that scene.

https://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp

Old 07-26-2021, 07:05 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,087,489 times
If you don't mind doing some work on it, you should be able to find something in McKinney. McKinney is a lot less expensive than the surrounding cities. You would have to act quickly though.

Earlier this year, there were homes here in my neighborhood in Stonebridge in that price range.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:21 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
There are a lot of areas where you will be able to find a home in your price range. 8 of the 28 homes I've sold so far this year were under 300K. They were in Plano, Wylie, North Garland, McKinney, Carrollton, The Colony, Lewisville and other surrounding areas. If you want to drive a little bit east (40 minutes from downtown Dallas) you can get a brand new home. You'll have to look at properties listed up to 240K because you will have to offer a higher price in order to be competitive. Don't be discouraged.

Naima

Old 07-29-2021, 12:34 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,489,659 times
Anna about 15 minutes north of McKinney.
Plenty of 1 story homes 3bed/2bath/2car garage in this price range.
Could also try Van Alstyne which is another 10 minutes north of Anna.
Could be some resales in Princeton, Wyle, Sachse.

Old 08-03-2021, 11:19 AM

62 posts, read 53,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimandben View Post
Thank you very much! We are actually okay with condos (would love if it had a little grassy area). We can also go a bit smaller. Our apartment is 1025 sq feet, and we don't use all of it. The market is crazy!

Do you think it's smart to buy based on what might happen with future health stuff or pay a little more for a house now and downsize later if one of us can no longer work? This is the question we go back and forth on.

Never, ever, EVER buy into a condo. They are a perpetual nightmare. YOU DON'T OWN THE STRUCTURE. Did you not see what just happened in Florida? Learn from that. Condos are like a Spork, all the disadvantages of a house, with all the disadvantages of an apartment, and none of the advantages of either.

You make good money, interest rates are stupid low now, and houses appreciate, skip the condo and find a house.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 963 times
I just did a search based on your criteria (Dallas and surrounding areas, 3bd, 2bth, 1350+sqft, at $275k or less). As of today, over (1600) single-family homes matched your criteria. Your goal is definitely achievable. However, I suggest adding more to your requirements to reduce this total. Such as do you prefer a one-story, do you mind living in an HOA community, fireplace, year built, pool, etc. Some areas that are affordable and safe that come to mind are Rockwall, Wylie, Fate, Royce City, Sachse, areas of Mesquite, Little Elm, Areas of Irving, etc.

To prepare for multiple offers and bidding scenarios I suggest having a search set to locate homes to purchase in the range of $255K to $265.

With known health issues I would definitely buy considering your health and a possible decrease in income. Honestly, I would live for today and buy my dream home while preparing for the future. If you have to move in 5 to 10 years the positive is that you were able to enjoy that quality of life and can be at peace with moving to the next chapter of your life. Like Albert648 suggested; buy a property that would be a positive return in the case you need to rent it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: