Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 07:22 PM

565 posts, read 559,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williammunny View Post
Admittedly the tax data is a bit of a mess to wade through, but from what I am seeing Plano ISD rates are 1.3 while Carrollton is 0.8. If anyone can show otherwise please do.
Yeah that's not right on the Carollton portion. The Carrollton ISD portion varies from 1.25 to to 1.35 depending on what ISD you fall in. There's 3 ISDs in Carrollton city limits depending on what portion you live in (Dallas ISD, Carollton ISD, and Lewisville ISD).

ISD rates are similiar but plano has cheaper city tax rate (.44 for Plano vs .58 for Carollton) and cheaper county tax rate (.17 for Collin County which is Planos main county, Carrollton is either Dallas county which is .24 or Denton County which is .22). If you live in the Dallas county portion of Carrollton you also have to pay the expensive parkland hospital tax which is around .26
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 02:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williammunny View Post
Admittedly the tax data is a bit of a mess to wade through, but from what I am seeing Plano ISD rates are 1.3 while Carrollton is 0.8. If anyone can show otherwise please do.
I don’t know where you saw such a low tax rate for CFBISD - that is not what is listed on DCAD.

Both Carrollton & Plano straddle various county / city / ISD boundaries so it will take some compiling to get the full tax rate picture, but for simplicity’s sake on a $400k home, Plano will be about $1250 cheaper in annual taxes…but you can buy a similar house in Carrollton for less so it’s probably more like a few hundred dollars’ tax difference if you do stick to a 5-10% lower budget in Carrollton….and then you have a lower mortgage too.

For reference - Median home price in CFBISD year to date is $355k vs $438k in Plano ISD.

Carrollton FB ISD (Dallas County) residence: $8629 annual taxes estimated for 2021

Dallas Co portion .63984% with a 20% homestead exemption = $2,044
City of Carrollton .5875% with a 20% homestead exemption = $1,880
Carrollton FB ISD 1.2547% with a $25k homestead exemption = $4,705

Plano ISD (Collin County) residence: $7,374 annual taxes based on 2020 rates

Collin Co portion .172531 with a 5% homestead exemption = $655
Collin College portion .08122 with a 1% homestead exemption = $321
City of Plano .4482% with a 20% homestead exemption = $1,434
Plano ISD 1.32375% with a $25k homestead exemption = $4,964

Old 08-04-2021, 06:03 PM

62 posts, read 53,630 times
Well I think I got to the root of the issue, for whatever reason the property in question lacked info on the school district, so that threw calculations way off as it was not including those on the record card or in Zillow.

Doing some side by side comparisons, I would say Plano and the portion of Carrollton I was looking at are both roughly the same tax wise, within a few hundred dollars of each other in any case, so not enough difference to make a difference.

And frankly with the correct tax numbers there is no way I can afford either so its really a moot point.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:48 AM

139 posts, read 113,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Midway and Marsh looks sketchy between Trinity Mills and PGBT. I would not feel comfortable in that area at night.

Most of Carrollton is on very poor soil for foundations. The dark green area in the geology map is the Austin Chalk. It has less foundation issues. The light green, yellow, and orange areas are not very stable. It takes more care to manage the foundation.

USGS - Pocket Texas Geology: https://txpub.usgs.gov/txgeology/
Just wanted to post and say thank you for this data.

Someone had mentioned this before, regarding soil issue, when I was looking at homes in Frisco.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:56 PM

24 posts, read 16,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Midway and Marsh looks sketchy between Trinity Mills and PGBT. I would not feel comfortable in that area at night.

Most of Carrollton is on very poor soil for foundations. The dark green area in the geology map is the Austin Chalk. It has less foundation issues. The light green, yellow, and orange areas are not very stable. It takes more care to manage the foundation.

USGS - Pocket Texas Geology: https://txpub.usgs.gov/txgeology/
There is definitely some truth to this. I grew up in north Carrollton in the 1980s and 1990s and we had work done on our foundation twice. Our house was built new in 1984. I think at least one of my friends was having their foundation worked on throughout my entire childhood, haha.

There's a small escarpment that runs northeast-southwest through Carrollton (that's where the big vistas come from as you drive from east to west across town) and we always suspected that was the cause.

Foundation issues aside, Carrollton generally a great area and was a fabulous place to grow up. It became diverse much earlier than Plano or Richardson and so acquired a little bit of a poor reputation in the 1990s when the white population in the school district started falling and realtors stopped taking new arrivals to Dallas there. That's candid talk, sure, but thirty years ago the Metroplex was a LOT whiter and there just wasn't the acceptance of diverse communities that there is today. Housing stock from the 1970s and 1980s was aging and some neighborhoods started to fill up with rental properties. Some of the shopping centers - even up in the newer northern parts of town - had high vacancy rates. The south part of town around Belt Line and Josey was looking really ratty circa 2000.

Flash forward twenty years and all of Carrollton is looking much, much better than it did at the turn of the millennium. A lot of homes have sold and been fixed up, streets have been replaced, parks spruced up, and retail areas are packed full. I don't live in Carrollton (or even in DFW) anymore, but I'm back frequently to see family, and we are so happy to see Carrollton looking so good. I would highly recommend having a look.

Old 08-14-2021, 04:01 PM

125 posts, read 150,381 times
It is so safe that it is considered boring.

Old 08-14-2021, 04:44 PM

511 posts, read 400,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnww81 View Post
There is definitely some truth to this. I grew up in north Carrollton in the 1980s and 1990s and we had work done on our foundation twice. Our house was built new in 1984. I think at least one of my friends was having their foundation worked on throughout my entire childhood, haha.

There's a small escarpment that runs northeast-southwest through Carrollton (that's where the big vistas come from as you drive from east to west across town) and we always suspected that was the cause.

Foundation issues aside, Carrollton generally a great area and was a fabulous place to grow up. It became diverse much earlier than Plano or Richardson and so acquired a little bit of a poor reputation in the 1990s when the white population in the school district started falling and realtors stopped taking new arrivals to Dallas there. That's candid talk, sure, but thirty years ago the Metroplex was a LOT whiter and there just wasn't the acceptance of diverse communities that there is today. Housing stock from the 1970s and 1980s was aging and some neighborhoods started to fill up with rental properties. Some of the shopping centers - even up in the newer northern parts of town - had high vacancy rates. The south part of town around Belt Line and Josey was looking really ratty circa 2000.

Flash forward twenty years and all of Carrollton is looking much, much better than it did at the turn of the millennium. A lot of homes have sold and been fixed up, streets have been replaced, parks spruced up, and retail areas are packed full. I don't live in Carrollton (or even in DFW) anymore, but I'm back frequently to see family, and we are so happy to see Carrollton looking so good. I would highly recommend having a look.
Sometimes it kind of saddens me that a "good" growth in general depends on the Anglo population. What used to be a nice neighborhood is likely to become undesirable as the non-whites start moving into the area. That being said, I like how welcoming/accepting of diversity and changes Texas is unlike other states in the South.

But yeah, I agree. Carrollton these days is doing much better with the growth and is getting very diverse. I also like how hilly a lot of neighborhoods in the area are.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:16 PM

73 posts, read 44,978 times
Everything south of GB looked rundown from what I've seen. Even parts north of the tollway looked shady as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: