Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 07:50 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

(mod cut: quoted post removed)

mod cut That said given the general area I can see how someone might miss the nice spots and form off opinions just passing through. A boat cruise around that lake is a real eye opener.

Last edited by Acntx; 09-08-2021 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Quoted post has been removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Hopefully this is not an idea from the same flier I recently received about Cedar Creek Lake? If so do an aerial of the area and look at the available lots and you might be surprised. Think about what happens during dry and/or extended dry seasons. Then ask yourself why the lots are so low cost?
+1. A realtor who knows the area is gold per lake buying. FEMA flood map knowledge for flood insurance pruposes, pico area drainage (per lot even), which dock/sea-wall locations are hammered during wind storms and which shallow water coves to avoid are some biggies.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawvtanzi09 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Would appreciate the insights for folks that might know the Cedar Creek Lake & Country Club area in Kemp/Mabank? There is a potential waterfront lot in a fairly new community and wondering if it's a good investment.

The plan would be to build a new home and use as a weekend home or gathering place with family and friends. Would consider renting out on airbnb/vrbo etc if we get comfortable with the idea of renters staying there but would not be the driving force in the decision to invest in this area.

I know with supply chain issues the cost of building home has increased considerably, anyone have a ballpark idea how much it would cost to build on your own lot nowadays? Appreciate any insight.

Thanks
1. You need to data mine that lot. How high would a home be relative to the lake?........FEMA flood elevations are critical if you want to/might have to build in a flood zone in which no flood insurance is available you need to know that going in.

1.1. Before someone chimes in, "you can't build/own in a flood zone without flood insurance because you won't be able to buy regular homeowner's insurance without it".........you can we have a lake house north of the city on the water with no flood insurance and regular homeowners.

1.2. The insurance factor per new builds is so specific and involved you should likely hire a lake specific RE no matter what.

1.3. If you want to build a dock area you need to dive into what type to build per local conditions and what types of sea-wall you will need if any. Even pressure treated pine sea-walls are expensive and docks can easily be $100,000. Lifts are another issue. Most local lakes vary so much in elevation per wet/dry conditions and wind driven wave action that most lifts are cable/winch type which allow more vertical travel generally than lake bed sitting cantilever and vertical lifts.

1.4. If you build a dock and run 120 or 240VAC to it make certain the contractor uses the proper direct burial cable at a minimum (I prefer direct burial cable armored in something appropriate like electrical PVC) and make sure the contractor wires the dock side ancillary electrical panel with a four wire connection, assuming 240VDC, and no local ground.......that means hot + hot + neutral + ground running back to the main panel, likely in the house, and it's ground rod.

Be leery as hell of any older docks close by. It has become clear that many lake drownings across the country are due to stray voltages from improper and ancient dock wiring.

These people are in Longview are one other largest lift equipment suppliers in the country. There are several contractors who build docks with lifts on CC as well.

https://bh-usa.com/

I have two 24VDC solar/battery powered lifts (15,000 lb. and 5,000 lb. capacity IIRC) from these guys that have been bomb proof so far.

https://www.lakelite.com/boat-lift-motors/

2. Most lake areas around are trying to either limit or stop airbnb/vrbo rentals. There's little worse than people who don't know what they are doing messing around with boats, jet skis, gasoline and lift mechanisms that can be lethal.

It's an example of bad scene control but we have 1.5 lake houses in Texas. At the home we own fully I had a new dock built and with intent I ran 240VAC 60 amp service to the dock. Why so much power - especially since my boat and ski lifts are solar? My neighbor's dock was powered via Romex that ran though his yard, INTO THE LAKE, and up to his dockside ancillary panel. For my piece of mind he agreed to let me supply power to his dockside panel from my service.

Sorry for the choppy post and all the typos. I left my glasses at the lake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas