Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 04:48 PM

57 posts, read 109,533 times

Advertisements

Is it standard protocol to sign a buyer rep letter for one year for new construction? Realtor is giving a rebate as well. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 05:15 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
My realtor provided all sorts of support and help when we bought a new construction spec home. She had experience with the onsite builder rep and knew who I needed to call during different points in the process. Sometimes she stepped in and got things resolved when I couldn't. They were more concerned about not upsetting her because they wanted her to continue recommending their company to her clients. She came with me to the final walkthrough and noticed problems that needed to be fixed before we took possession that we didn't see. I was very glad that we had her as our advocate during the process.

I would ask what sort of help your realtor provides during the build process before you sign it.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:06 AM

8 posts, read 7,602 times
No it's not standard to sign an agreement. Find a better realtor.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbleioje View Post
Would your response change if she was providing a 1% rebate and it’s outlined in the agreement that Her commission would be 2%?

Old 09-17-2021, 10:59 AM

559 posts, read 936,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amindu View Post
Is it standard protocol to sign a buyer rep letter for one year for new construction? Realtor is giving a rebate as well. Thanks
one year is too long no matter what kind of cashback you get. What if you hate this realtor 30 days into your agreement and want to switch? Well you will be stuck for 11 more months unless realtor agrees to void the contract. 6 months is standard practice.

If the whole purpose of signing this is just to get 1% cashback, then let me tell you that there are cashback realtors who will charge flat rate commission and give you lot more than 1% but they won't provide any service. Their name will be on the contract and you do all leg-work.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbleioje View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
one year is too long no matter what kind of cashback you get. What if you hate this realtor 30 days into your agreement and want to switch? Well you will be stuck for 11 more months unless realtor agrees to void the contract. 6 months is standard practice.

If the whole purpose of signing this is just to get 1% cashback, then let me tell you that there are cashback realtors who will charge flat rate commission and give you lot more than 1% but they won't provide any service. Their name will be on the contract and you do all leg-work.
Yea I think we want to have that option should issues arise that she is there for us, given how the market is and with supple and labor shortages I imagine there will be. We thought about the flat rate or even others who’d give 1.5-2:5% back. She has already driven out to check out other builders for us vs the one we are looking to go with and do a virtual tour. I am going to ask her if she’s designating one year because that is how long it takes a new home build so she can represent us along the way or does that not matter as long as her name is on the builder contract paperwork that she can represent us. If so then 6 months should be sufficient why 1 year.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:27 PM

559 posts, read 936,781 times
Quote:
Yea I think we want to have that option should issues arise that she is there for us, given how the market is and with supple and labor shortages I imagine there will be. We thought about the flat rate or even others who’d give 1.5-2:5% back. She has already driven out to check out other builders for us vs the one we are looking to go with and do a virtual tour. I am going to ask her if she’s designating one year because that is how long it takes a new home build so she can represent us along the way or does that not matter as long as her name is on the builder contract paperwork that she can represent us. If so then 6 months should be sufficient why 1 year.
She does not need 1 year agreement just because building a house takes 1 year. Once her name is on the contract, then she is entitled to get buyer's commission at the closing. Is this your 1st home?

Old 09-17-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
She does not need 1 year agreement just because building a house takes 1 year. Once her name is on the contract, then she is entitled to get buyer's commission at the closing. Is this your 1st home?
2nd home, however first agent was useless and added no value. I don’t remember if we ever signed a rep agreement.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 7,602 times
Quote:
Would your response change if she was providing a 1% rebate and it’s outlined in the agreement that Her commission would be 2%?
No, my realtor rebated >1% with no contract.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:18 PM

8 posts, read 5,092 times
Is it common for realtors to offer rebate? Ours hasn't mentioned anything and can't say they provide much help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas