Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 12:26 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
What other metric would you suggest?

By the way, I didn't firmly conclude anything -- just said that Boyd appears to be stronger. As another poster noted, Boyd has far fewer economically disadvantaged students, so perhaps this accounts for the difference. Regardless, I'm not sure what other metric you could use to semi-reliably compare public schools than SAT/ACT scores.

For what it's worth, 50 points on the SAT is a 7-9% jump, so not an insignificant difference.
There probably isn't a single metric that one could use. The lack of a good metric doesn't suppor the use of a bad one, though.

SAT and ACT scores are signifcantly impacted by things like socioeconomic status of students, race and even culture (for example, number of Indians). Test scores like this are far too blunt of an instrument to have any value in a setting where the differnce is just 50 points. There's zero validity to this sort of practice, but people continue to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 03:33 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
There probably isn't a single metric that one could use. The lack of a good metric doesn't suppor the use of a bad one, though.

SAT and ACT scores are signifcantly impacted by things like socioeconomic status of students, race and even culture (for example, number of Indians). Test scores like this are far too blunt of an instrument to have any value in a setting where the differnce is just 50 points. There's zero validity to this sort of practice, but people continue to do it.

Playing the so very much needed Devil's Advocate.

Zero?............I'd argue the best metric we have remains the best metric we have. The US did not land men on the moon 50+ years ago and more recently rovers on Mars via perfection or examining everything by the yoctometer. All that happened via then current best practices and hard work.

As you know better than anyone here the best metric(s) we have per student educational attainment and future potential across schools of varying rigor is test scores all else including grades is more towards guesswork across the many.

To my way of thinking the more South Asians/Indians, other Asians, cultural Jews, eastern Euros, mid-Easterners etc. the more I want my kids in that mix.

Old 11-05-2021, 04:50 PM

300 posts, read 290,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Playing the so very much needed Devil's Advocate.

Zero?............I'd argue the best metric we have remains the best metric we have. The US did not land men on the moon 50+ years ago and more recently rovers on Mars via perfection or examining everything by the yoctometer. All that happened via then current best practices and hard work.

As you know better than anyone here the best metric(s) we have per student educational attainment and future potential across schools of varying rigor is test scores all else including grades is more towards guesswork across the many.

To my way of thinking the more South Asians/Indians, other Asians, cultural Jews, eastern Euros, mid-Easterners etc. the more I want my kids in that mix.
Both make valid points, though obviously per my post I side with EDS_ much more. In determining school quality or relative school quality, SAT/ACT isn’t dispositive, but it does a lot more than any other metric that jumps out to me off of the top of my head. In my opinion, not using test scores or similar means jumping solely into debating qualitative aspects of a school/schools, which are important for sure but not always the most productive discussion-wise.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:36 PM

588 posts, read 486,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
That's ridiculous, at least in terms of Plano/Frisco. Highland Park and the DISD magnets are totally different on a number of levels and you can't compare them to large suburban general enrollment schools. Plano/Frisco/Allen/McKinney/etc. have very similar outcomes for similar students.
It may sound ridiculous but most A type parents wouldn’t even entertain the idea of buying anywhere out of few top districts.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:03 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,086,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Hope20 View Post
It may sound ridiculous but most A type parents wouldn’t even entertain the idea of buying anywhere out of few top districts.
If we leaved in a world where buyers were not ridiculous, our real estate market (and many other markets) would look entirely different.

Old 12-10-2021, 08:41 PM

14 posts, read 9,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
If we leaved in a world where buyers were not ridiculous, our real estate market (and many other markets) would look entirely different.
I have to say this is true, :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas