Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 5,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
If your work is fully remote, then why would you relocate, and why Dallas? The best place to be would depend on what need or desire is drawing you to move in the first place.
I would work from here however the nature of the job dictates that i have to be in Dallas for the duration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 02:07 PM

245 posts, read 254,691 times
Generally, areas are more expensive because they are more desirable. Do with that what you will.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:35 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,086,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixguy View Post
I would work from here however the nature of the job dictates that i have to be in Dallas for the duration.
Then why would you be allowed to live in Frisco or Irving? What is the geographical requirement? That might help narrow down the options. I tend to think most people get drawn to Frisco solely because of the media attention and PR. It's highly overrated.

Anyway, you would need to set some priorities in what you are looking for (or against) to narrow things down.

The first thing you should do is set a budget. How much are you looking to spend?

Old 11-07-2021, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 5,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Then why would you be allowed to live in Frisco or Irving? What is the geographical requirement? That might help narrow down the options. I tend to think most people get drawn to Frisco solely because of the media attention and PR. It's highly overrated.

Anyway, you would need to set some priorities in what you are looking for (or against) to narrow things down.

The first thing you should do is set a budget. How much are you looking to spend?
I'm confused,... isn't Irving and Frisco part of Dallas (DFW)
I Assumed they are suberbs of Dallas

The work is remote with the caveat of being able to get to the office in certain cases or scenarios which might happen a few times a month.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:10 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
DFW is extremely spread out and the traffic is brutal.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:

The work is remote with the caveat of being able to get to the office in certain cases or scenarios which might happen a few times a month.
Yes, they are suburbs of Dallas. However it’s hard to comprehend just how big DFW is if you’ve never been here. The DWF metro area is about 9300 square miles. Ottawa-Gatineau is about 1000 square miles. So Dallas-Fort Worth & it’s suburbs is 9X bigger than where you live in Canada. DFW metro area covers about 60% of the state of Connecticut’s land mass if you want to try to grasp the enormity of it on a map.

Also most of DFW is connected via Tollroads and has little to no public transit. Your only option to get from Frisco to Uptown is to drive. And if you want to not drive on surface roads (non-highways) or not to drive miles out of the way to free highways, the most direct route is an $8-10 round trip toll road. Irving has some public transit options but it will probably take an hour to bus/rail what you could drive in half the time. Your patience MMV.

What is drawing you to Irving and Frisco, specifically?!

Old 11-07-2021, 07:33 PM

300 posts, read 290,287 times
Quote:

Irving and Frisco are both a part of the DFW metro area, but not Dallas proper. Frisco is in Collin County, which is a large, mostly suburban county comprised largely of bedroom communities with a few major Fortune 500 companies in Plano. Can't speak to Irving, but Frisco would be about 30 minutes to Dallas with no traffic. People commute from Frisco (or Prosper, which is farther north) to Dallas every day, so commuting a few times a month would certainly be doable, but any more often than that and I would seriously look closer in.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:40 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
From my biased perspective restaurants will be better around Irving. Frisco should in general be a little quieter for working. Shopping is definitely plentiful around Frisco, but Irving will offer better access to most of the DFW area.

Old 11-08-2021, 04:42 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,216 times
If you have an option, I would visit first. Now if your indian , Frisco is very much Indian and parts of Irving are also which could be a good thing for you. Personally I am not a fan of Frisco but that doesnt matter.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:23 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There’s a lot of ground to cover between Uptown and Frisco….like about 500 square miles, five or take. One of the best values in Dallas is the Village, an apartment community off 75 & Lovers about 5-10 minutes from Uptown. It’s got a diverse population - from right out of college to empty nesters and also diversity in housing stock. Some “original” buildings, some are about 20 years old and others are brand new. Big network of walking trails run throughout the Village and Target as well as several grocery stores are within walking distance depending on where in the Village you live.

https://www.thevillagedallas.com/take-a-tour

The Village is safe & right off Greenville Ave which is known for great indie restaurants and nightlife (but not like a 20 year old’s club scene!) Also super convenient to get to White Rock Lake if you enjoy biking, rowing, running, etc.
I would have recommended The Village prior to the just completed renovation.

The Village renovation was poorly conceived and took way longer than it needed to take. There could have been a smaller scale project costing a fraction of the price that could have been done better. Few construction projects were as much of a miss as this one.

The "new" amenities are not useful to the majority of residents.

Not worth the elevated rents currently listed on the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas