Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 05:06 PM

125 posts, read 150,230 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post with great advice! I would just like to clear a few things up, this paper was not meant to be a formal essay of any kind, my professor was asking for more of a reflection on our readings with past experience. However, I do agree with a lot of the things yall have said. I struggle with keeping a consistent tone and I most definitely do not have a thesis (lmao). I am a Urban Studies/Journalism double major and right now I am trying to get my passion on to paper. I was more asking on feedback for the general ideas I displayed through the paper. One again, thank you though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 06:17 PM

1,085 posts, read 692,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline122 View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post with great advice! I would just like to clear a few things up, this paper was not meant to be a formal essay of any kind, my professor was asking for more of a reflection on our readings with past experience. However, I do agree with a lot of the things yall have said. I struggle with keeping a consistent tone and I most definitely do not have a thesis (lmao). I am a Urban Studies/Journalism double major and right now I am trying to get my passion on to paper. I was more asking on feedback for the general ideas I displayed through the paper. One again, thank you though.
That’s the thing. There wasn’t a general idea. There was just a rant with no real target.

Old 12-04-2021, 02:20 PM

245 posts, read 254,691 times
You have a view point certainly, but I wonder how much it’s clouding your research. I have never seen a data point that areas with increasing incomes have an increase in violence crime. In fact, what I most often read is that the arrival of wealthier residents leads to an increase in policing that the prior residents had been clamoring for (though usually not through the “right” avenues).

I would also suggest you look into how many independently owned business there are pre and post a certain point in time. Again, the research I have read shows that the new residents typically support more independent businesses and seek out the ones that are most “authentic”. Gentrified neighborhoods in DC, for example, have the same amount of black residents and more black owned business than 20 years ago- they just *also* have white people now.

I read an article a couple years ago (The Neighborhood Is Mostly Black. The Home Buyers Are Mostly White.) that has accompanying maps that suggest that there are very limited areas of Dallas that have experienced gentrification.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:48 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
I have never seen a data point that areas with increasing incomes have an increase in violence crime. In fact, what I most often read is that the arrival of wealthier residents leads to an increase in policing that the prior residents had been clamoring for (though usually not through the “right” avenues).

Well, if you check the area (specifically Trinity Groves) if you see what was there before (a single neighborhood that lost about 20% of its homes between 1960-2000 and a bunch of dumpy poorly designed light industrial buildings) it's very possible that crime increased, simply because before there was no-one around to be a victim or to report property crime before Trinity Groves was constructed.

Quote:
that has accompanying maps that suggest that there are very limited areas of Dallas that have experienced gentrification.
Yes that is very true. Dallas has not gentrified very much.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Well, if you check the area (specifically Trinity Groves) if you see what was there before (a single neighborhood that lost about 20% of its homes between 1960-2000 and a bunch of dumpy poorly designed light industrial buildings) it's very possible that crime increased, simply because before there was no-one around to be a victim or to report property crime before Trinity Groves was constructed.

Yes that is very true. Dallas has not gentrified very much.
True. That’s one of those damn lies and statistics things that have no context.

While Dallas proper hasn’t gentrified that much, you can see that ship coming over the citizen right now. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a ton of development in previously “undesirable” neighborhoods with the requisite magnet schools and probates popping up right behind.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:40 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
I'm not following what you mean by "probates."

Old 12-06-2021, 10:58 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
Second, consider journalism. Either a class or writing for a student newspaper. The editor will brutally slash and mark up your work much faster than even a teacher would.
Amen to that!!!!!! In one semester of Journalism, I learned more about how to be a better writer (and about the English language in general) than I did in over a decade of taking English classes for years in school!

Old 12-06-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Amen to that!!!!!! In one semester of Journalism, I learned more about how to be a better writer (and about the English language in general) than I did in over a decade of taking English classes for years in school!
Did y’all read the thread? OP is a Journalism major.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:56 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Did y’all read the thread? OP is a Journalism major.

I responded before he added that bit of info.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
I responded before he added that bit of info.
Yeah. It should be a rough go if that’s what being turned in. However, given that Reddit and Buzzfeed are cited as journalism at times, maybe we just need to accept the failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: