Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 01:44 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,439,529 times

Advertisements

I have been following with interest the experiences that people have expressed on this board about the buyers in the DFW housing market. Especially for those wanting a new construction home. The following is what I've gathered:

1) Build time has now been extended out due to shortages. What used to take 6-9 months to build is now taking closer to 12-18 months.
2) It used to be you signed a contract early in the process, and by the time the home was complete, your final contract would be fairly close to what you agreed to earlier on. Now builders are putting in price increases with increasing regularity, to where the final price can be substantially more than the early price.
3) There is very little inventory in new homes, so you cannot just walk in and get a spot. Builders are now taking bids for any newly completed homes and there is a waiting list.

I was talking to a coworker yesterday who said that according to her realtor (her husband's best friend who supposedly is very experienced, owns his own brokerage firm too) most of that was not correct. She could sign a contract for new construction and it would take 6-9 months, with no price increases. Now this is in Rockwall. Is that correct? Perhaps I had the wrong/outdated information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 03:09 PM

516 posts, read 450,460 times
Based on personal experience. My family signed a contract for a new house through Drees in north McKinney in May 2021. They were told it wouldn't be complete until October 2022. They were also the last contract that Drees executed pre-building the home. Since May 2021, Drees is waiting to sell their homes in this community once the house is completed. Fast forward to today, the builder hasn't increased the price and they are now being told their house will be ready in June.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:22 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
I think it depends on if you are dealing with one of the good builders like Highland Homes or one of the lesser builders like Grand and Standard Pacific.

I don't think Highland does what you mention in OP and is one of the 3-4 Builders I would only trust.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:16 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,082,936 times
I don't think #2 is happening any more. It was bad PR for the builders. Instead, they now follow #3. Even Highland is not doing build jobs although I don't know if they've resorted to auctions. Darling, American Legend, Pulte, and DR Horton are doing auctions.

Very few builders are doing build jobs, and those on a first-come-first-serve basis sell out of their allotment before anyone can even find out about them.

Things may be a little different around Rockwall.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:33 PM

317 posts, read 227,878 times
You have custom builders, spec builders and production builders. Each company in each class have different levels of access to capital and materials. There is no blanket explanation of how any process will work which why there is still some value in the market for professional Real Estate Agents who are in the market everyday, all over town, working with different builders/buyers/sellers that will have access to that information. Our "brother in laws" are all well intentioned but still have asymmetrical information.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:29 AM

27 posts, read 25,382 times
Highland has ceased build jobs in the majority of communities they're in, selling inventory homes only through a purchase priority list, no auctions.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:07 AM

53 posts, read 49,752 times
Highland is still doing non spec home in some communities.

We signed the contract with them December 2021 for one of their Northlake community. The house was supposed to be done in July / August 2021. We are closing end of this month LOL

They are expanding the next phase in our community and they are now doing split construction. Some are specs and some are non spec.

Price has not changed from what we signed up for ... Our floor plan is now selling in our community for $150k more.. Crazy.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:26 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Hey, they're having bidding wars to rent apartments now! It's just totally freaking nuts out there!

Old 03-17-2022, 09:38 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,082,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denebj View Post
Highland is still doing non spec home in some communities.

We signed the contract with them December 2021 for one of their Northlake community. The house was supposed to be done in July / August 2021. We are closing end of this month LOL

They are expanding the next phase in our community and they are now doing split construction. Some are specs and some are non spec.

Price has not changed from what we signed up for ... Our floor plan is now selling in our community for $150k more.. Crazy.
You signed a contract in December 2021 with an expected completion in July/August 2021.

Highland is not doing build jobs in their Northlake communities. I was out there a few months ago and couldn't figure out the attraction there, but it seems an enormous and growing segment of the population will gladly shell out a million or more for a cardboard box next to a dump if it's new.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:32 AM
SyZ

151 posts, read 139,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
You signed a contract in December 2021 with an expected completion in July/August 2021.

Highland is not doing build jobs in their Northlake communities. I was out there a few months ago and couldn't figure out the attraction there, but it seems an enormous and growing segment of the population will gladly shell out a million or more for a cardboard box next to a dump if it's new.
We get it, you hate new home builds and don't understand why people don't move to McKinney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas