Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buy home in 2022 or wait longer?
Yes 51 51.00%
No 49 49.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 12:15 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalistiq View Post
Exactly.

This housing bubble is a Fed-driven, and a Fed-created crisis. Drop interest rates to historic lows, purchase $1T of mortgage-backed securities, print $4.5T out of thin air, and then distribute that money disproportionately to the wealthy, and you get a run up in asset prices and stocks.

It doesn’t take a Wharton MBA to figure out that these policies are inflationary and increase economic inequality. Yet, the Fed refused abandon the “inflation is transitory” rationale until late 2021, after it was patently obvious that the price of homes was accelerating at unsustainable levels.

Most homeowners who’ve seen their home values increase upwards of +40% in two years are loath to denounce the Fed’s actions, but asset bubbles are bad for everyone. When they pop, a recession often ensues and that adversely impacts everyone.

It is unfortunate that most Americans do not understand the role the Fed has played in this housing bubble and worse yet, that the architects of this bubble will never be held accountable.
While this is all true, we had -30% annualized GDP growth and were facing another Great Depression due to completely unprecedented economic shutdowns. At worst, the Fed was a few months late on tightening and bit too confident in their transitory narrative. But the Fed isn't Congress, and there was a lot of money being pumped by Congress that was needed.

Hindsight is always 20/20, which is why every Fed chair in history has been thought an idiot by the regular Joe with the luxury of future information. There was too little stimulus in 2008, and we had a very slow economic recovery. There was too much stimulus in 2020, but we probably shouldn't have expected to avoid a recession when shutting the economy down like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 06:26 PM

329 posts, read 283,670 times
Jobless claims are on the rise, and this unfortunately is just the beginning.

According to Bloomberg, “ Applications for US state unemployment insurance rose for a third week to the highest since November as more companies announce job cuts, suggesting some softening in the labor market”:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-eight-months

Old 07-22-2022, 05:40 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
That's just Texas
No it's not. Happening in markets across the country

Old 07-22-2022, 08:07 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
As I said, we're in a housing bust.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:26 AM

329 posts, read 283,670 times
Expect an avalanche of bad economic news next week, including a likely official declaration that the US is in fact in a recession.

According to PJ Media:

“Consumer confidence numbers (which currently stink) hit on Tuesday. A Federal Reserve meeting and decision on interest rates, coupled with a press conference from Fed Chair Jerome Powell, follows up on Wednesday.

The first reading on second quarter economic growth drops on Thursday. And the latest numbers on our vexing run of historically high consumer price inflation close out the monster run of data on Friday. In a note to clients today, analysts at Deutsche Bank suggested the flood of information will “leave you breathless.”

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...-week-n1615339

If the impending economic data is as bad as it’s predicted to be, demand for housing will continue to fall dramatically throughout the summer/early Fall, putting more downward pressure on prices while inventory nationwide continues to rise.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Expect an avalanche of bad economic news next week, including a likely official declaration that the US is in fact in a recession.

According to PJ Media:

“Consumer confidence numbers (which currently stink) hit on Tuesday. A Federal Reserve meeting and decision on interest rates, coupled with a press conference from Fed Chair Jerome Powell, follows up on Wednesday.

The first reading on second quarter economic growth drops on Thursday. And the latest numbers on our vexing run of historically high consumer price inflation close out the monster run of data on Friday. In a note to clients today, analysts at Deutsche Bank suggested the flood of information will “leave you breathless.”

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...-week-n1615339

If the impending economic data is as bad as it’s predicted to be, demand for housing will continue to fall dramatically throughout the summer/early Fall, putting more downward pressure on prices while inventory nationwide continues to rise.
You seriously think the NBER is going to declare a recession this week?

Old 07-25-2022, 12:46 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,760 times
Quote:
But…
Isn’t this the intended result? Sounds to me like the Fed’s strategy is working. Part of easing inflation is a resulting downward trend in prices due to reduced demand. Which is what we want.

Or am I missing something?

Old 07-25-2022, 03:30 PM

278 posts, read 216,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
But…
Isn’t this the intended result? Sounds to me like the Fed’s strategy is working. Part of easing inflation is a resulting downward trend in prices due to reduced demand. Which is what we want.

Or am I missing something?
No, not really. The Fed is literally trying to induce a recession and crash prices down - including housing.

What's more interesting is the 'HIVE MIND' mentality, especially in housing. The huge swings up or down have very little to do with the actual underlying reason. The rates have not gone up so much that we went from 800K homes being sold in 12 hrs with 10-20% over asking price to now sitting on market and going through multiple price reductions. It's all part of the herd mentality, everyone is freaking out about recession right now so they pumped the brakes. Yet somehow buying into a world unseen pandemic-recession was not a problem - back then no one actually thought the Gov would print so much stimulus.

If I'm being honest, it's frustrating that everything is becoming like gambling. I much rather have stable prices rather than be in a constant state of lottery. You either bought and having doubled in 3-4 years or will be underwater for next 10+

Old 07-25-2022, 03:32 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,082,936 times
It could be just that my focus has been too narrow, but it looks to me like the demand is as high as ever for the larger houses and at the higher end of the price ranges. The demand for smaller houses and lots is less than it used to be, and there are a lot more young families with children moving in those smaller houses that traditionally would have appealed to older generations seeking less maintenance.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenro911 View Post

If I'm being honest, it's frustrating that everything is becoming like gambling. I much rather have stable prices rather than be in a constant state of lottery. You either bought and having doubled in 3-4 years or will be underwater for next 10+
I'm right there with you. Asset bubbles have victims on both sides. I was lucky enough to have made a lot of money on the recent runup, but housing is a basic human need like food and water. Price stability and affordability should take priority over short-term returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas