Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 09:11 AM

537 posts, read 449,363 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about looking at the following schools:

Prestonwood Christian Academy

Trinity Christian Academy

Legacy Christian Academy

The Covenant School

What does anyone know about them? Are there other options for private Christian schools we should look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 01:31 PM

91 posts, read 128,031 times
What specifically do you want from your children's education? Besides the christian aspect... An exceptional campus? A great reputation? The nicest student body?Are arts and sports more important or quality of the education?

What things would turn you off? Lack of diversity? Pervasive legalism?

As I think you know, the schools share a lot of similarities, but also offer their students somewhat different environments....

Where do you live? I wouldn't want to drive to TCA from Frisco every day, but that's just me. Certainly could be a big factor if you are going back and forth all the time...

I'm assuming Providence is too far south?

Old 03-29-2022, 01:43 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,663 times
Lucas Christian Academy?

None of the Catholic schools?

Old 03-29-2022, 05:26 PM

300 posts, read 289,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
We are thinking about looking at the following schools:

Prestonwood Christian Academy

Trinity Christian Academy

Legacy Christian Academy

The Covenant School

What does anyone know about them? Are there other options for private Christian schools we should look at?
I only know a small handful of families who picked any of these schools, but the general reputations are pretty unwavering: that these schools save maybe TCA are primarily focused on the religious aspects of the school (which is totally fine) and not so much the academic ones. Academically speaking, TCA is going to be the best bet. It isn’t Harvard, but they are much more focused on academics than PCA etc. PCA also has the reputation of being an athletic powerhouse.

I’m not sure what you mean by private Christian schools, but there are a number of good Epsicopal and Catholic schools: ESD, Parish, Jesuit, Ursuline, Bishop Lynch, Cistercian, and John Paul II. All integrate Christianity into their schools in different ways, so whether or not you will be comfortable is something you would have to figure out yourself via a visit or quick scan of the website. Regardless of how religious they are per se, they all seemingly do a good job of practicing Christian values. Any of these schools would be a step above the aforementioned ones academically and would probably be a more typical high school experience socially.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
I only know a small handful of families who picked any of these schools, but the general reputations are pretty unwavering: that these schools save maybe TCA are primarily focused on the religious aspects of the school (which is totally fine) and not so much the academic ones. Academically speaking, TCA is going to be the best bet. It isn’t Harvard, but they are much more focused on academics than PCA etc. PCA also has the reputation of being an athletic powerhouse.

I’m not sure what you mean by private Christian schools, but there are a number of good Episcopal and Catholic schools: ESD, Parish, Jesuit, Ursuline, Bishop Lynch, Cistercian, and John Paul II. All integrate Christianity into their schools in different ways, so whether or not you will be comfortable is something you would have to figure out yourself via a visit or quick scan of the website. Regardless of how religious they are per se, they all seemingly do a good job of practicing Christian values. Any of these schools would be a step above the aforementioned ones academically and would probably be a more typical high school experience socially.
We have boys so Ursuline and Hockaday are out. We are Episcopalian, so ESD and Parish would be top of my list for that reason alone. However, both of these schools are now very liberal IMO. Although at the same point TCA, PCA and Covenant could be too legalistic for my tastes. The others are farther than we want to go distance wise. John Paul II is fairly close to our home. I just do not know how it would be for our kids to attend a Roman Catholic school not being Roman Catholic.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
We have boys so Ursuline and Hockaday are out. We are Episcopalian, so ESD and Parish would be top of my list for that reason alone. However, both of these schools are now very liberal IMO. Although at the same point TCA, PCA and Covenant could be too legalistic for my tastes. The others are farther than we want to go distance wise. John Paul II is fairly close to our home. I just do not know how it would be for our kids to attend a Roman Catholic school not being Roman Catholic.
I have heard the same about Parish, but I have never heard that about ESD so that might be worth a good look. The families I know who chose ESD are all solidly conservative and would have mentioned it if the school were more liberal.

The Catholic schools are more religious than the Episcopal schools, generally speaking, but I don't think you would feel at all out of place as a non-Catholic Christian unless it would be a really huge deal. In general, the Catholic schools focus more on Catholic social teachings, i.e. heavy amounts of community service, than Catholic doctrine per se. There are required masses and Theology classes, and the majority of students are from Catholic families, but they generally don't force any teachings down your throat. In my opinion, a Baptist student would feel much more comfortable at a Catholic school than a Catholic student would at, say, PCA.

I also noticed that you mentioned Hockaday -- if going to a religious school isn't an absolute must-have, I would add St. Mark's to the list. It's notoriously competitive and somewhat of an outlier in a couple of different ways among the schools mentioned, but it's a great school and very well-regarded. I would, however, steer away from Greenhill if I were you, as it is strongly liberal (I only mention this because it is a common peer school to SM/Hockaday).

Regardless, it sounds like you can apply widely and hopefully have your pick of some good options.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:07 PM

91 posts, read 128,031 times
Quote:
From this response, I think you will be happy at TCA. It's close-ish to you. It is definitely not liberal and the truth is, if you are looking for a biblical education (where your child has a bible class requirement ever year and the other classes are taught within the framework of biblical doctrine) you aren't going to find that at Parish or St. Marks and I don't think ESD either. You will find it at TCA and PCA. I think TCA is less legalistic than it was 15-20 years ago. None of the current families I know are legalistic at all and I know several kids who have moved to TCA from the "better" privates and are happier now.

Check out college acceptances too if that's important to you, because I feel like these schools do vary.
If the goal is Baylor, then that won't matter. But if you think your kids might want to go out of state or out of the south, that's a factor--- and I would check it out.

One more school to look at is Cambridge. I know students that have been quite happy there.

edited to add: actually Cambridge is probably too far of a trek.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:25 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,788 times
What does it mean for ESD and Parish to be liberal?

Old 03-29-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
What does it mean for ESD and Parish to be liberal?
Both of those schools are way more secular than I would like. The Roman Catholic schools are solid. I just would don't like they idea of having a school mass and my boys not being allowed communion because we aren't Roman Catholic. ESD is more conservative than Parish for sure, but it is really farher than I want them to be from our house in West Plano. So, it looks like we will look at TCA or just stick with Plano ISD.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murby View Post
I have a very wealthy friend who sent both of her daughters to Christian schools. Very high end, very expensive. This is a family with a net worth in excess of $20 million.

The daughters are both in their 20's and they are both dumb as farm animals. Fortunately for them, they are attractive to look at.. but stupid as can be.

Christian schools don't teach science, they teach religion.. if you want them to grow up stupid, a Christian school is a good start.
Most people on here stick to facts and evidence instead of invectives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: