Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 08:47 PM

11 posts, read 8,179 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I do not have the financial resources to hire an attorney.

Can anyone provide advice about the rights of a parent and child in a private middle school in Dallas which demands that the child stay back and repeat the grade because of the English teacher?

The English teacher insists the child is not yet ready for the next grade in middle school because they felt that my child was unable to keep up with the pace of the assignments and most importantly did not proactively inquire and make up the assignments missed during a relatively short COVID illness & quarantine) when in all the other subjects they are doing extremely well.

Despite my requests for alternatives such as summer school, allowing the made up work to be sufficient, or repeating just the English class, the school told me that my child will be staying back and repeating the whole year curriculum.

We would great appreciate any help. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 09:23 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Find another school?

Old 05-10-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
It seems pretty apparent, right?

Can not change schools... already signed contract and huge financial relief for this year [and next year as well] from the school as I am long term unemployed [unfortunately, desperately trying to get a job]...

siblings do not want to change school... it is a good school except for this major issue...

Old 05-10-2022, 10:20 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Why not just repeat the grade? Are you certain that isn't the right move? What were your kid's grades this year?

Old 05-10-2022, 10:24 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasNewbie001 View Post
Can not change schools... already signed contract and huge financial relief for this year [and next year as well] from the school as I am long term unemployed [unfortunately, desperately trying to get a job]...

siblings do not want to change school... it is a good school except for this major issue...
Why not enroll the child in question in public school? Siblings can stay in their current school and that eliminates the concern about tuition burden. Obviously will make logistics less convenient with kids in different schools.

I assume the default if you enrolled in public school would be to place them in their appropriate grade by age. Now, if there is a real issue, that might come up again in the public school, but if it isn’t a real long term concern they should be fine.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:27 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Why not just repeat the grade? Are you certain that isn't the right move? What were your kid's grades this year?
This is probably the right answer. I don’t think schools make that decision lightly, especially at that age (I see a lot of “redshirting” in some private schools at Pre-K/K such as the “primer” grade, but not in middle school).

Old 05-10-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
Not much you can do if the administration backs the teacher. Maybe you should listen to the professionals? It’s pretty hard to see how a short term absence causes a failing grade.

It’s also fairly difficult to understand how an unemployed parent doesn’t find the time to collect work due for their absent child or have the time to validate that back work was complete.

Whole family came down with COVID. We were busy with taking care of all our children. We tried our best... the children did catch up eventually...

Old 05-10-2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post

All A and upper Bs... except for English... they did not say failed for English... they wrote incomplete on the report card.. my child said the English teacher finally said they were caught up with the homework but then the administration had me come in and told me fait de complit that my child was staying back..

Old 05-10-2022, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
This is probably the right answer. I don’t think schools make that decision lightly, especially at that age (I see a lot of “redshirting” in some private schools at Pre-K/K such as the “primer” grade, but not in middle school).

Actually my child is the youngest in the class so they are saying that my child is not mature enough...

As per the schools motivation, I feel that there is something going on. Why would the school wait till right at the end of the school year to announce that the child needs to stay back? There was no previous communication that threatening that he would need to stay back. I am trying not to sound conspiratorial but looking at the current grade enrollments on the schools intranet, there seems to be population distribution problem as in there are more than 24 kids going into the grade they should be going into and less than 12 kids going into stay back grade. There might be trying to even up the class sizes, but using my child as a patsy...

Old 05-10-2022, 11:52 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Definitely think it is odd teacher didn’t raise the issue earlier unless the Covid illness / absence was this semester and he recently fell behind.

That said, rarely do schools recommend upper elementary & older kids get held back unless there are serious concerns about ability to work at the next level due to skills gap and/or maturity. I would err on trusting their judgement especially if you overall have a good experience there with that many kids enrolled. I would want to know how they plan to keep him challenged next year in the subjects he already mastered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: