Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 03:36 PM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 140,043 times

Advertisements

We're moving in a few weeks and I need to update / transfer / swap all our utilities. So far, seems like the city handles everything other than electric and internet.

We currently use Spectrum and it's a whopping $100 for 500 MB. ATT seems to be $65 for the same service, and Optimum (never heard of it) is only $60.

For electric ... I don't even know where to begin.

I signed up for Frontier 3 years ago on a 2 year discounted plan, and then the last year we've been building the entire time, waiting to move, so I never changed it. Same with Spectrum, which started at $50 a month and is now $100 after an upgrade from 300 to 500 and the 2 year plan ending.

Any suggestions or reviews for providers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 06:28 PM

3,084 posts, read 8,440,127 times
Not sure where you are in Celina as there might be multiple providers. However one large one is the Grayson Collin Electric CoOp https://www.gcec.net/ . You can try contacting them and provide your address and they can tell you if it is them or who might handle your location.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:33 AM

19 posts, read 10,269 times
You could check whether this no contract plan from T-Mobile works. Once you are sure about the network provider in the area you are moving in, you can cancel it.

https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet

Old 08-07-2022, 11:52 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,099,447 times
If it's a new house, the builder should have told you if it's a designated electric seller. If you choose one, I don't think a co-op like GCEC or CoServ is going to be an option.

Internet options vary by neighborhood. The only wired providers I know are Spectrum (cable) and AT&T (fiber), and I would be surprised if both are available that far out in the boondocks. A lot really depends on your needs though.

One thing to know about utilities and may not have been told is that the city of Celina is notorious for having among the highest water rates in north Texas. From what I've heard though, it's possible other cities are catching up.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:40 AM

96 posts, read 71,603 times
Electricity -

You are either in a co-op or not. If you are in a co-op you don't get a choice. If you are not go to https://www.powertochoose.org/ and pick the best plan for your needs - keep in mind rates are high right now so i would either pick a shorter term plan and reevaluate in 6 months (hoping prices go down) or pick a long term plan (2-3 years) if you think prices may stay the same or go up. They are all servicers - so reviews don't matter as much - if you pay your bill timely you generally wont have issues - electric delivery comes from Oncor. Another alternative is to pay energyogre but they have been struggling somewhat with saving you money given the ever increasing rates

Cable Internet-
Likely AT&T, Suddenlink(now optimum), or Grayson Collin Communications - I suspect 1g fiber is likely available. AT&T will require you to use their modem/router and charge you for it while Suddenlink allows you to use your own equipment. i refused to go to AT&T for that reason. the good thing there is competition so if you don't like the service or the price just switch.

in my area of prosper its Suddenlink and AT&T both hover around $70-$90 per month for 1G fiber.

Agree with Leonard on Water - you will HATE your water bill. its terrible. I am in prosper which is higher than where i was previously in plano and richardson but better than Celina.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:44 AM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 140,043 times
Just circling up in case any other potential buyer is wondering ...

Electric - yep, turns out I have to use GCEC. Which feels like they can charge anything they want and I'm forced to pay it because they have a complete monopoly.

Internet - Currently paying $100 for a 500 MB Spectrum Cable plan, I can go to $65 a month for 500 MB ATT Fiber, which seems like a straight up win.

Gas - didn't even know our house had gas, but the only option is Atmos.

City utilities - yea, I've heard the water is high ... thankfully our lawn is smaller than currently and requires less watering overall due to layout, but I'm scared for our first bill next summer ...

All in all, looks like I didn't properly plan out what our costs would be and we'll probably need to budget a few hundred extra month for utilities.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:11 AM

11,872 posts, read 26,932,345 times
We are also on a rural electric co-op, and their rates are significantly lower than we paid with Reliant when we lived in town. The co-ops are not for profit, so some of them give you a rebate check every year, and others do community organization grants instead. Your co-op will have an annual meeting, and I recommend that you go. It's a great way to learn more about what goes on in running your co-op, and to meet your neighbors.

Yes, Atmos is the only gas company. Be glad you have gas. We are in a rural area, so I sell my soul every time I have the propane tank filled.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:55 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,394,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
We are also on a rural electric co-op, and their rates are significantly lower than we paid with Reliant when we lived in town. The co-ops are not for profit, so some of them give you a rebate check every year, and others do community organization grants instead. Your co-op will have an annual meeting, and I recommend that you go. It's a great way to learn more about what goes on in running your co-op, and to meet your neighbors.

Yes, Atmos is the only gas company. Be glad you have gas. We are in a rural area, so I sell my soul every time I have the propane tank filled.
If your electric is that good, you should look into switching out your HVAC condenser to a heat-pump type - it will cost you a bit up front, but propane will go much further - I now only have to fill my propane tank every-other year! Way cheaper on long-term operation costs.

Old 08-13-2022, 04:11 PM

11,872 posts, read 26,932,345 times
We already have two Carrier heat pump units. Previous owners replaced the entire system, so it’s only 2 years old!

We have a propane stove and water heater, so we only have to fill the tank about every 9 months. But it’s still expensive when we do.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:33 AM

96 posts, read 71,603 times
Generally the gas and electric bills will cycle with the seasons depending on your home's setup.

Electric bill is high in the summer when the A/C runs and flips to the gas bill being high in winter when the heat is on. So both will be high at times but hopefully not at the same time.

Unfortunately, Atmos also has a minimum charge every month $21 just to have a connection.

on the GCEC/electric side - people like to complain about their electricity bills but they only ever compare total cost of the bill rather than the individual rates each consumer has. GCEC currently shows their residential rates are lower than those available to those outside of a co-op on powertochoose today. Energy efficiency of your house and the never ending 100 degree days will drive the cost of the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas