Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2022, 03:20 AM

4 posts, read 2,143 times

Advertisements

I am on L1 visa and if I buy property then I need to pay more tax as compared to USA Immigrant (green card holder). I am currently in Texas. Appreciated quick reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 08:15 AM

537 posts, read 455,392 times
You will not pay anymore taxes on the property than a US Citizen would pay. The property tax rates have nothing to do with your citizenship or visa status. If someone told you this they are trying to scam you.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:37 PM

690 posts, read 650,546 times
I have never heard of more tax being paid by an immigrant. Everyone (regardless of citizenship) generally must provide proof of identity and likely either a social security number or a tax id number. None of that will influence your taxes.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:41 AM

4 posts, read 2,143 times
thanks all. Appreciated your support.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:19 AM

24,782 posts, read 11,150,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
You will not pay anymore taxes on the property than a US Citizen would pay. The property tax rates have nothing to do with your citizenship or visa status. If someone told you this they are trying to scam you.
Double check with all tax assessing entities concerning a particular location. Recently a big uproar in the Carolinas as a county did not grant homestead to employer based visa holders.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:01 PM

That does bring up a point about Texas does have something called a homestead exemption which anyone can claim if they live in a home as their primary residence. More than likely at closing the title company will explain this to you.

The only other discounts/exemptions which can apply are an over 65 and a disabled veteran discount. If you are over 65 years old you can have your property taxes essentially "frozen" and if you are a disabled veteran, then you can be exempt from property taxes. Those are the only discounts or exemptions I am aware of at this time.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,034,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
That does bring up a point about Texas does have something called a homestead exemption which anyone can claim if they live in a home as their primary residence. More than likely at closing the title company will explain this to you.

The only other discounts/exemptions which can apply are an over 65 and a disabled veteran discount. If you are over 65 years old you can have your property taxes essentially "frozen" and if you are a disabled veteran, then you can be exempt from property taxes. Those are the only discounts or exemptions I am aware of at this time.
Is your username a reference to WSP?

Old 09-07-2022, 11:41 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,506,608 times
For the most part immigrants/or even non-immigrants do not pay different taxes than US citizens on the purchase.
You can get taxed differently on investment property vs owner/occupied property. However that is also the same for US citizen....some places like Texas if you live in the property as owner and occupant, you might get a discount on the property taxes.

Probably the biggest issues for non-citizens is what we call FIRTA. You need to be well aware of this as it can cause issues when you sell. If I remember correctly non-citizens have 30% of the sales price withheld and submitted to the IRS for potential taxes...and then you have to file tax return to prove what taxes you owe.

Maybe that is not an issue if you pay cash, but if you get a loan and don't have enough equity, then it can create issues for you. Let's say you put down 20% and hold for a year with no appreciation. When you sell you have 8% closing costs and realtor commissions....so now you have about 12% equity, but have to pay 30% of the sales price to IRS. Then you might have to come up with 18% cash to contribute to the deal to be able to sell it. Potentially you can get all or some of this collection back when you file tax return, but that could take a year or more to get it back. Even if you pay cash initially, you may not get that 30% back for a year or more.

So have a very nice discussion with YOUR CPA about taxes and filing returns and make sure they understand FIRTA backwards and forwards. It may not be something every CPA deals with enough to understand it....especially if they don't have international clients.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Is your username a reference to WSP?
If you are talking about the band, Widespread Panic, yes. I have never had anyone ask me that before.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
For the most part immigrants/or even non-immigrants do not pay different taxes than US citizens on the purchase.
You can get taxed differently on investment property vs owner/occupied property. However that is also the same for US citizen....some places like Texas if you live in the property as owner and occupant, you might get a discount on the property taxes.

Probably the biggest issues for non-citizens is what we call FIRTA. You need to be well aware of this as it can cause issues when you sell. If I remember correctly non-citizens have 30% of the sales price withheld and submitted to the IRS for potential taxes...and then you have to file tax return to prove what taxes you owe.

Maybe that is not an issue if you pay cash, but if you get a loan and don't have enough equity, then it can create issues for you. Let's say you put down 20% and hold for a year with no appreciation. When you sell you have 8% closing costs and realtor commissions....so now you have about 12% equity, but have to pay 30% of the sales price to IRS. Then you might have to come up with 18% cash to contribute to the deal to be able to sell it. Potentially you can get all or some of this collection back when you file tax return, but that could take a year or more to get it back. Even if you pay cash initially, you may not get that 30% back for a year or more.

So have a very nice discussion with YOUR CPA about taxes and filing returns and make sure they understand FIRTA backwards and forwards. It may not be something every CPA deals with enough to understand it....especially if they don't have international clients.
This would have to do when someone is selling a property only. The immigration/citizenship status will have no barring on a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: