Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 04:35 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
If the graduating class is 1300 that would mean 78 in the top 6%. So 285 accepted means at least 200 "holistic" admits I would think?
Good logic. I wonder how many/what percent of auto-admits/top 6% to say UT-Austin take a pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 06:56 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post

Would it be better for average or below average kids to go to a less tough school to give them better chances of being in top 10%. Of course I guess no one thinks their kid is in the bottom 1/2 of the class.
My niece did this. She went to a school in a very small district where she made it in the top 10% easily, and got an auto-admit to UT Austin. Once there, she realized that she wasn’t completely prepared for that level of coursework, especially in writing, so she had to study hard to keep up. She graduated two years ago.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:19 PM

588 posts, read 485,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That does not help much without knowing what percentage of the enrollees mentioned were auto-admits.
It doesn't but as long as one can get admitted, it makes no difference.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:26 PM

588 posts, read 485,263 times
If you have 100 kids in your class, 10% is 10, if you have 1,000, 10% is 100 so your odds are pretty much the same for auto admit. On plus side, if your school is considered an academic powerhouse, your odds of getting accepted are still pretty bright even if you couldn't make top 10%.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:40 AM

565 posts, read 557,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
There were changes made to the ranking system several years ago. Ranking GPA does not include all classes, just "core" courses.
So, two GPAs: overall (everything counts) reported on the transcript, and ranking - just for the top 10%, used for the automatic admission. Presumably this was done to make it less of a rat race, it still is though.

https://www.pisd.edu/cms/lib/TX02215...3%20posted.pdf

See p.10-11
Yeah that's a fairer system. Under the old system you were actually penalized for taking a freshmen level class like keyboarding or BCIS, you need to wait till your later years to take something like AP computer science which is absurd especially if you have no desire to enter that field.

The 4.31 being the minimum was in 2017 under the old system (all classes regardless if core or not) so if they did in fact change it then the minimum to be in the top 10% should be a decent amount higher (cut-off should be somewhere in-between a 4.4-4.5)

Old 10-10-2022, 05:04 PM

625 posts, read 666,066 times
There is a lot of complexity here. Each school district has different criteria. For example, in DISD class rank is only based on 15 core classes (not extracurriculars, etc.). This is to encourage students to take electives. Of course, there is still some gaming of the system in order to maximize the number of Category 1 classes that go all the way up to a 6.0.

Eligible courses are assigned to categories based on their level of rigor and difficulty:
• Category I: Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), advanced Project Lead the Way (PLTW), and dual credit courses in mathematics, ELA, science, and social studies -- this can go all the way up to a 6.0
• Category II: Pre-AP, IB Middle Years Program (MYP) and International Scholars, lower level PLTW in mathematics, ELA, science, and social studies -- this can go all the way up to a 5.0
• Category III: All other courses in mathematics, ELA, science, and social studies -- this can go all the way up to a 4.0\

My belief is that most of the Top students at competitive high schools (and I include DISD schools such as Woodrow, Hillcrest and the magnets) would basically do the same at most other suburb high schools. My son is in the IB program at Woodrow and the grading in the AP/IB and even some of the honors classes is tough and competitive.

As an aside - to get auto-admission into UT Austin, you have to be in the top 6% and that is only auto-admission into the liberal arts school. Its much tougher to get into some of the colleges and specific majors like engineering, CS, business school, RTF, etc. And these hard colleges/majors at UT are also VERY hard to transfer into if you start in the liberal arts school. People talk about the top 10% - but honestly a lot of that is outdated. I know top 1% of kids at good schools who still aren't admitted into the UT major of their preference.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:30 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
"As an aside - to get auto-admission into UT Austin, you have to be in the top 6% and that is only auto-admission into the liberal arts school. Its much tougher to get into some of the colleges and specific majors like engineering, CS, business school, RTF, etc. And these hard colleges/majors at UT are also VERY hard to transfer into if you start in the liberal arts school."

This is very important information to know. Many people think kids in the top 6% from less rigorous schools are taking spots from 10% kids from more rigorous schools. At a school like UT this is not the case. Those kids from less rigorous schools are being admitted to the school of liberal arts. The school of engineering, business and computer science are much more difficult to get into. This is the reason alot of those kids from rigorous schools go to out of state schools instead of UT. They do not want to be liberal art majors. I have a niece that was top 6% at Lewisville high. She was accepted as a liberal arts major. She really bust her but to transfer into the business school. She was one of the 3% who was able to transfer into McCombs. She graduated 2 years ago. UT really has a two tier system when it comes to admittance.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:52 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
"As an aside - to get auto-admission into UT Austin, you have to be in the top 6% and that is only auto-admission into the liberal arts school. Its much tougher to get into some of the colleges and specific majors like engineering, CS, business school, RTF, etc. And these hard colleges/majors at UT are also VERY hard to transfer into if you start in the liberal arts school."

This is very important information to know. Many people think kids in the top 6% from less rigorous schools are taking spots from 10% kids from more rigorous schools. At a school like UT this is not the case. Those kids from less rigorous schools are being admitted to the school of liberal arts. The school of engineering, business and computer science are much more difficult to get into. This is the reason alot of those kids from rigorous schools go to out of state schools instead of UT. They do not want to be liberal art majors. I have a niece that was top 6% at Lewisville high. She was accepted as a liberal arts major. She really bust her but to transfer into the business school. She was one of the 3% who was able to transfer into McCombs. She graduated 2 years ago. UT really has a two tier system when it comes to admittance.
My kid graduated number 4 in a class of 425 in a Houston ISD school. UT offered him the Liberal Arts school, which offers no degrees with anything. He's going to A&M instead, and is very happy about it.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:23 PM

317 posts, read 227,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
My kid graduated number 4 in a class of 425 in a Houston ISD school. UT offered him the Liberal Arts school, which offers no degrees with anything. He's going to A&M instead, and is very happy about it.
Economics is in the Liberal Arts school at UT, which has one of the highest 1st year salaries.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:16 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Most of the kids who major in economics due so because they were not able to get into McCombs. It's the next best option for one seeking a business degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas