Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 08:15 AM

625 posts, read 666,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
My kid graduated number 4 in a class of 425 in a Houston ISD school. UT offered him the Liberal Arts school, which offers no degrees with anything. He's going to A&M instead, and is very happy about it.

I have to take offense with this one. I have a couple of Liberal Arts degrees from UT and have had a pretty good career...My husband also has an Economics degree (and specifically didn't want a business degree) and has had a very successful career...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 11:42 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Economics is in the Liberal Arts school at UT, which has one of the highest 1st year salaries.
This.

And.. 5 years into their post-college work life, their XYZ degree from XYZ school in UT Austin will not matter to all but very few hiring managers.

That resume field only has space for a Bachelor of X from XYZ university. All those other details are superfluous and won't matter to most employers unless one is seeking their very first job. And sometimes not even then.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:45 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
I have to take offense with this one. I have a couple of Liberal Arts degrees from UT and have had a pretty good career...My husband also has an Economics degree (and specifically didn't want a business degree) and has had a very successful career...
Don't.

Those that have been in the workforce recently know this is a misplaced myth. (This and the legend of the Liberal Arts PhD working at Starbucks)

Old 10-14-2022, 12:14 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
I have an accounting degree from UH, and have had an excellent career without having to get a Masters degree or MBA. In any case, my kid had zero interest in any of the UT Liberal Arts degree plans, as he wanted to go to engineering school.

As for the title of the thread, if you want your kid to be top 10% or top 6%, move to a school zone where the students aren't as competitive.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:36 PM

337 posts, read 298,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

As for the title of the thread, if you want your kid to be top 10% or top 6%, move to a school zone where the students aren't as competitive.
When we started our search for a new home we are only looking in cities with the very best schools. Over time we have learned that this may be a mistake. We don't want to get our kids into hyper-competitive schools. Now we looking for good schools and it has opened up more options for us.

We met someone in the Atlanta forum where the poster's niece could not get into the best school in GA.
She ended up attending a much lower-ranked school and got admitted into multiple Ivy League schools.
Yes, I do under that it depends on the student and parents' involvement as well.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:45 PM

588 posts, read 485,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Most of the kids who major in economics due so because they were not able to get into McCombs. It's the next best option for one seeking a business degree.
This isn't true, intelligent students often have dreams beyond a business degree. My VP's son (salutatorian of a competitive school) declined McCombs honors and chose a higher ranked smaller school for liberal arts because he didn't want a huge school or to limit undergrad education to business.

If you look up undergrad business programs, you'll notice that most top schools doesn't offer a business undergrad as it makes education rather vocational.

Last edited by 20Hope20; 10-14-2022 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-15-2022, 02:55 PM

468 posts, read 475,231 times
The top students in Plano, especially at West are only thinking of UT as their safety. Even if they get into business or engineering, all the top students are thinking of the top privates because all their friends are talking about the same top schools as well. And they all want to go away farther than texas, even if they have to settle for top schools outside the Top 20. The good thing is they can always come back here and find a job if they don't find one on the coasts.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:54 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,164,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post
When we started our search for a new home we are only looking in cities with the very best schools. Over time we have learned that this may be a mistake. We don't want to get our kids into hyper-competitive schools. Now we looking for good schools and it has opened up more options for us.

We met someone in the Atlanta forum where the poster's niece could not get into the best school in GA.
She ended up attending a much lower-ranked school and got admitted into multiple Ivy League schools.
Yes, I do under that it depends on the student and parents' involvement as well.
This is one of the issues that arises when we talk about "best" schools. "Best," if it is being defined by things like test scores and such, really only means "school with the smartest kids." You discovered the other edge to that sword.

Old 10-16-2022, 10:26 AM

588 posts, read 485,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
The top students in Plano, especially at West are only thinking of UT as their safety. Even if they get into business or engineering, all the top students are thinking of the top privates because all their friends are talking about the same top schools as well. And they all want to go away farther than texas, even if they have to settle for top schools outside the Top 20. The good thing is they can always come back here and find a job if they don't find one on the coasts.
This^ and most motivated high achievers end up successful, no matter which route they prefer.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:09 AM

8,123 posts, read 3,666,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Hmmm, UT is top 10 in engineering and business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas