Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 03:57 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No not being sarcastic on the last sentence. Yes its all different then 20+ yrs ago
I've lived in DFW 22 years. It's not that different. They were just building that mall in Frisco, but that area to Preston was already moderately built up - it just had different stuff.

Quote:
The Hill Country,
The Hill Country town I'm from is bleeding population - the opposite of Jackson Hole (which was always upscale and has natural amenities the Hill Country can't match). The area has fallen from plenty of 3A football teams all the way down to 6man. My town just went 6 man this year. There were always a couple of rich land owners from Austin or elsewhere that came to visit - but plenty of money lived in town. Now there is no industry and the ranching is falling off a cliff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 09:16 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I've lived in DFW 22 years. It's not that different. They were just building that mall in Frisco, but that area to Preston was already moderately built up - it just had different stuff.

The Hill Country town I'm from is bleeding population - the opposite of Jackson Hole (which was always upscale and has natural amenities the Hill Country can't match). The area has fallen from plenty of 3A football teams all the way down to 6man. My town just went 6 man this year. There were always a couple of rich land owners from Austin or elsewhere that came to visit - but plenty of money lived in town. Now there is no industry and the ranching is falling off a cliff.
There's a dichotomy between the "nicer towns" (Fredericksburg obviously, Kerrville, Marble Falls, etc.) and the ones that are more what you describe. I do have to wonder if the economic pressures of very affluent retirees and work-from-home types will eventually force growth to the less desirable communities because the "nice" ones are just way too expensive for most.

Old 10-18-2022, 07:33 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
It would be good for these towns to get populated with new comers from other parts of texas, but bad if it becomes a Jackson hole type place.

Edit: if I ever move to the hill country I would pick a place like mason, San Saba, Cherokee, one of those towns as opposed to the ones becoming more populated like Fredericksburg or Johnson city or comfort.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:13 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
I'm not necessarily a fan of how rapidly DFW grew in such a relatively short period of time either, because that brought on a TON of growing pains that DFW is still trying to catch up on even now, and that long time residents can definitely feel the effects of it.

But at the same time, at least DFW is growing, thriving, and competitive for the 21st Century, because the flip side is that you can be somewhere that looks and feels like it hasn't grown in 50 years, and that runs like it's not even TRYING to get out of its insular time warp; a place that never grows and that people leave at the first chance they get, stay gone, and where new people rarely if ever replace them.

So, pick your poison...

Old 10-18-2022, 03:32 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,048,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
I'm not necessarily a fan of how rapidly DFW grew in such a relatively short period of time either, because that brought on a TON of growing pains that DFW is still trying to catch up on even now, and that long time residents can definitely feel the effects of it.

But at the same time, at least DFW is growing, thriving, and competitive for the 21st Century, because the flip side is that you can be somewhere that looks and feels like it hasn't grown in 50 years, and that runs like it's not even TRYING to get out of its insular time warp; a place that never grows and that people leave at the first chance they get, stay gone, and where new people rarely if ever replace them.

So, pick your poison...
Great post, agree 100%. Same thing here in Houston - has grown way too fast and there's negatives from that. But definitely better than the alternative...

Old 10-20-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Great post, agree 100%. Same thing here in Houston - has grown way too fast and there's negatives from that. But definitely better than the alternative...
Yeah, contrast DFW and Houston with St. Louis or New Orleans...the vast majority of folks would prefer the former two.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:36 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Yeah, contrast DFW and Houston with St. Louis or New Orleans...the vast majority of folks would prefer the former two.
So what's the perfect in between? Salt Lake City?

Old 10-23-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
So what's the perfect in between? Salt Lake City?
I believe Salt Lake City is growing quickly (I'd have to look up the data). Columbus, OKC, Johnson Co. KS might be other options.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
As someone who was born and raised in DFW I feel like it’s changed so much. I feel like it went from simplicity to chaos. I took a trip to Fort Worth and quickly wanted to leave. Felt very snooty and no one acknowledges or makes eye contact with you there.

Every neighbor I talk to is not even from Texas. The traffic is crazy now. I’m glad I don’t have to travel far for work. If the climate change map is accurate there’s no way Texas will be comfortable temp wise. Is anybody who has lived here for a long time seen this weird energy shift?

I know there are a lot of positives too, but when the foundation has changed and you start to feel like a stranger in your own area that’s another thing.
This post still perplexes me. Like what else in your life is the same as it was 20-30 years ago? My car is different, my phone is different, my computer is different, internet is everywhere, tv is different, the way we work is different, school is different, new houses are different, banking is different, going to the mall is different, we Amazon everything, etc.

Nothing stays the same forever.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:48 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,315,642 times
Exactly. The world has changed in the last 20-30 years. DFW is no different. And you know what? The world 20-30 years ago was different from 20-30 years before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas