Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 09:34 PM

989 posts, read 2,445,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
As to "ratings", it's important to keep in mind that many of the DISD schools are really two schools in one building: the poorly-performing school full of the kids whose parents live in those skanky apartments along the highway, and the highly-performing school full of the kids whose parents have bought the McMansions down the street and who are in the school every day watching and holding the school to account. The two populations of students intersect at lunch and gym and pretty much nowhere else.
My assumption is the McMansion folks just send their kids to private schools, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 07:00 AM

625 posts, read 672,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
My assumption is the McMansion folks just send their kids to private schools, no?

Definitely not all. My son goes to a DISD TAG magnet school. While we are in East Dallas, I had reason recently to drop things off at a bunch of his classmates homes in NW Dallas. Many of these homes were very McMansion-y...and some were true mansions. They had all started at public elementary in the private school corridor before testing into the magnet. So while its true that probably most go private, I definitely see many families (of all demographics) choosing public that might have otherwise gone private. We started private and then moved public..and i know quite a few similar families.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Definitely not all. My son goes to a DISD TAG magnet school. While we are in East Dallas, I had reason recently to drop things off at a bunch of his classmates homes in NW Dallas. Many of these homes were very McMansion-y...and some were true mansions. They had all started at public elementary in the private school corridor before testing into the magnet. So while its true that probably most go private, I definitely see many families (of all demographics) choosing public that might have otherwise gone private. We started private and then moved public..and i know quite a few similar families.
Yes, but was the public elementary school good at least, or was it one with poor ratings?

My comment was in reference to the elementary schools with poor ratings. Didn't think the McMansion kids were going to those schools.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:35 AM

516 posts, read 453,741 times
Quote:
Yes, but was the public elementary school good at least, or was it one with poor ratings?

My comment was in reference to the elementary schools with poor ratings. Didn't think the McMansion kids were going to those schools.
Yes, there are McMansion kids and other kids from high income families going to these schools. I mentioned W.T. White HS as an example earlier. It’s rated as 3/10 on Great Schools. However, you have kids from middle and upper middle class families going to this school, doing well, and then going to good colleges. That’s why I argue that these ratings don’t give the whole picture. The child’s background and economic status is a large indicator of their success at any school.

Also, I can’t say with confidence about other school districts, but DISD offers you the standard classes, Pre-AP classes, and then you AP or IB classes. Majority of kids with families with higher incomes will be found in the Pre-AP and AP (or IB) classes. There isn’t a lot of interaction between the kids in the higher level classes versus the regular classes (except maybe for electives).

Old 11-04-2022, 10:47 AM

4,608 posts, read 2,740,857 times
Quote:

What you're going to have to do is to step back from the "school ratings" websites and do some actual on-the-ground research with other actual parents regarding the school(s) you're interested in. As noted, many of the DISD schools are really two-in-one. The "IB" or whatever term they're using this year, those students show up at the same building, but other than the cafeteria and the gym class, they're essentially in a different school. Yet the ratings are going to smush all the kids in that building together.

I take it that you're in a prosperous neighborhood in Northwest Dallas. Ask around amongst your neighbors who seem to be the educated prosperous kind of people who are concerned about their children's education. That will tell you volumes more than trying to parse out score differences of 0.05 in ratings made up by some website bot located in Indiana somewhere (or, for that matter, in Malaysia).

Old 11-04-2022, 04:57 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,539,231 times
PSA about the Kessler School: they are digging in their heels against evidence based reading instruction and sticking with whole language/workshop/Lucy method.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
PSA about the Kessler School: they are digging in their heels against evidence based reading instruction and sticking with whole language/workshop/Lucy method.
Oh, you mean the people who believe that English, one of the easiest languages to teach reading because it has an alphabet, each of whose letters clearly indicates the sound to be made - should be taught like Japanese, one of the most difficult languages to learn to read because you have to learn the meaning of each ideogram by brute memorization?

Idiots.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:57 PM

79 posts, read 75,286 times
Quote:

To me, top 3 public schools in DISD are Lakewood, Withers and Mockingbird Elementary. In terms of location, Withers zone is the best. It is close to private schools including Greenhill.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisekar View Post
To me, top 3 public schools in DISD are Lakewood, Withers and Mockingbird Elementary. In terms of location, Withers zone is the best. It is close to private schools including Greenhill.
How can one get their child into Withers if they live near it but aren't zoned to it?

Old 11-07-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
How can one get their child into Withers if they live near it but aren't zoned to it?
Well, you could go down to Ross Ave. with a handful of hundreds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas