Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 07:46 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,088,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
This is exactly correct. For example, DNT/121/Legacy corridor in Plano, Stonebriar area in Frisco are a quick 15 min drive from Allen 75013 zip code via 121, though they are technically in Plano and Frisco.
Similarly, Richardson is very easily accessible from Allen as well via 75.

In the same way any town closer to 121 or 75 will have easy access to major job centers in Plano/Richardson.

Now, the same DNT/121/Legacy corridor is a hassle to reach from say far areas of East Plano itself.
And Stonebriar area is far from interior Frisco areas though technically same cities.

So, never go by city - look at actuals in terms of specific schools, distance to job location, shopping entertainment etc.
Neither this golf course nor the entire city of Prosper is what I would consider close to major employers. That far northwest, you may as well be in Little Elm or Aubrey which is all around more affordable. Multiple neighborhoods in McKinney will get you a golf course at half the price.

Meanwhile, proximity to those employers in Plano doesn't seem to have done The Colony any favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 09:03 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,445,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
While Plano and Richardson can claim the actual addresses of those major employers, those employers are also very much attracted to those sites in significant part because of the characteristics of the workforce that resides in Frisco / Allen / McKinney / Prosper. A major employer locating in Plano or Richardson is still a positive thing for those other suburbs, even if they lose on pride of company address. (A win, that is, if you disregard the impacts on the affordability of housing in those places.)
I disagree with this. If the workforce in Frisco/Prosper mattered, then how do you explain the fact that Plano and especially Richardson were already corporate HQ powerhouses back in the 80s, when Prosper had 10 people living there and Frisco had maybe 1,000 residents and was more known for having shady car dealerships and whorehouses, nothing like Frisco today.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:12 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I disagree with this. If the workforce in Frisco/Prosper mattered, then how do you explain the fact that Plano and especially Richardson were already corporate HQ powerhouses back in the 80s, when Prosper had 10 people living there and Frisco had maybe 1,000 residents and was more known for having shady car dealerships and whorehouses, nothing like Frisco today.
Because the evaluation for corporate site selection has changed a lot since back then. In the 1980s, freeway access and large cheap sites for sprawling corporate campuses were more top priority. Even then, they still favored locations at least somewhat accessible to where white-collar residents lived, which was the north side of Dallas, but didn't mind being near the edge of suburbia.

Since 2000, maximizing the access to the white-collar / college-educated resident base has vaulted to top priority, and the urban form of the physical locations has evolved away from sprawly campuses - they are more willing to pay top dollar for sites in the middle of the white-collar suburban action. But the main thing is that they examine the population / household characteristics of the residents in a 30-45 minute drive. As more and more of the college-educated population moves to Frisco / Prosper / McKinney etc., the labor-maximizing sites will continue to get pulled north, away from Dallas. It also means that a site at Legacy will continue to show better numbers than one up near 380 and the DNT, until places like Celina and Anna blow up into much bigger communities.

Not to say there aren't still companies more of the "old school" mindset - Schwab being a recent example (Westlake).

Old 12-09-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Because the evaluation for corporate site selection has changed a lot since back then. In the 1980s, freeway access and large cheap sites for sprawling corporate campuses were more top priority. Even then, they still favored locations at least somewhat accessible to where white-collar residents lived, which was the north side of Dallas, but didn't mind being near the edge of suburbia.

Since 2000, maximizing the access to the white-collar / college-educated resident base has vaulted to top priority, and the urban form of the physical locations has evolved away from sprawly campuses - they are more willing to pay top dollar for sites in the middle of the white-collar suburban action. But the main thing is that they examine the population / household characteristics of the residents in a 30-45 minute drive. As more and more of the college-educated population moves to Frisco / Prosper / McKinney etc., the labor-maximizing sites will continue to get pulled north, away from Dallas. It also means that a site at Legacy will continue to show better numbers than one up near 380 and the DNT, until places like Celina and Anna blow up into much bigger communities.

Not to say there aren't still companies more of the "old school" mindset - Schwab being a recent example (Westlake).
As long as we're considering changes from the 1980s, I'm still baffled why they even bother with physical buildings. The vast majority of those jobs can go remote. Actually having an office is "old school" mindset.

Nonetheless, I would not be surprised if the vast majority of people who have moved to these suburbs in recent years have been pulled in by companies (on H1B visas) and not the other way around. Frisco, Prosper, and Celina are poised to become majority Indian if they aren't already. This new "Fields" development will most definitely be.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:01 AM

772 posts, read 936,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Nonetheless, I would not be surprised if the vast majority of people who have moved to these suburbs in recent years have been pulled in by companies (on H1B visas) and not the other way around. Frisco, Prosper, and Celina are poised to become majority Indian if they aren't already. This new "Fields" development will most definitely be.

Not even close.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-tx-population

Celina isn't close to majority Indian either. Frisco is a lot further along that path, but they're still not close to a majority.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:51 AM

210 posts, read 276,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Not even close.

Celina isn't close to majority Indian either. Frisco is a lot further along that path, but they're still not close to a majority.

THANKS! T.C. great website with great statistics, providing us with more accurate population demographics in NTX & suburban/township areas, well done.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Not even close.

Perhaps not city wide, but that's the future of these planned communities being built now and since the last couple years. If you look at just the numbers living in homes built after a certain year, those numbers would probably flip.

Anyway, it doesn't much matter to me as this development doesn't particularly excite me. I don't like sports, I don't like golf, and while I don't think Frisco is a bad place, it's nothing really special in my opinion. I still think it's hilarious they haven't gotten a Whole Foods store yet.

Old 12-27-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Perhaps not city wide, but that's the future of these planned communities being built now and since the last couple years. If you look at just the numbers living in homes built after a certain year, those numbers would probably flip.

If you mean the future in 15-20 years, possibly. Frisco is ~20% Asian/Indian. It'll be another decade or more before White residents would dip to the 50% mark there, (Asian/Indian will still be a smaller percentage) and it will easily be 20 years or more before Prosper or Celina reach that level.

Your thinking is anecdotal. It's easy to say that Indian residents are the majority in these cities because if you do happen to live in a particular neighborhood that is where they have congregated, it can certainly feel that way, because it's common for a family and extended family to all buy homes in the same area, as close as possible to each other. But that doesn't hold for the majority of these cities/neighborhoods.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:23 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,114,411 times
Quote:
If you mean the future in 15-20 years, possibly. Frisco is ~20% Asian/Indian. It'll be another decade or more before White residents would dip to the 50% mark there, (Asian/Indian will still be a smaller percentage) and it will easily be 20 years or more before Prosper or Celina reach that level.
Not that it matters a ton, but I doubt it will take that long. From your link earlier, non-Hispanic White made up 53.9% of residents in 2020 and I am sure that percentage is declining every year. It might be less than 50% pretty soon. Asian is already the largest demographic in the school district overall (which I know doesn't exactly correspond to city boundaries).

I am not disagreeing with your overall premise, just noting that it is actually a very diverse area.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Not that it matters a ton, but I doubt it will take that long. From your link earlier, non-Hispanic White made up 53.9% of residents in 2020 and I am sure that percentage is declining every year. It might be less than 50% pretty soon. Asian is already the largest demographic in the school district overall (which I know doesn't exactly correspond to city boundaries).

I am not disagreeing with your overall premise, just noting that it is actually a very diverse area.

Good catch, I didn't remember that the ~61.73% included Hispanics. But, the same would apply to the Asian percentages... unfortunately it doesn't break it down between Indian and Chinese/Japanese/Korean, etc. While Indians may be the largest portion of that 22.4%, there's a lot more ethnicities represented in that slice of the pie. It will still be a long time before Frisco or any of the northern suburbs becomes a majority Indian establishment, if ever.

They are certainly making the most gains right now though. They're buying up a lot of land in the area too, we just sold one of our properties to an Indian group LLC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas