Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 06:23 AM

3,078 posts, read 8,428,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I do too, and I love that some of these neighborhoods actually do people's yard maintenance or at least provide a low maintenance yard. You don't get that without a "master planned community." "Mixed use" though generally implies apartments, and that seems to be the bulk of what's popping up there. My point is that there really isn't anything special about this particular development. Just a minute or two west of this neighborhood, you will likely find a home the same size that's one third the price.

It is going to be interesting what these homes actually go for, even in the serfdom area. The official site claims they will start around $700K but that is just an estimate (according to them). With the builders building there I really can't see that starting price happening, at least not after they start a few homes and get the fever buying going. There are standard, run of the mill, home developments in Frisco where average size homes (average for Frisco) are already well past $700K and they don't have all the planned amenities.

Another aspect attached to price are all of the amenities taking away from land that could be used to pack in more homes that would make more up front profit. As a result I can't see price points as low as they claim. But again who knows maybe someone (group, corporation, etc.) is/are feeling magnanimous and willing to forgo profit to provide a piece of heaven to the serfs?

Personally, I couldn't care less about a pool, let alone a lagoon. I would not be caught dead outside in a bathing suit.

Hah Hah I hear and agree on this!

However, I know that's very popular among families with children.

What would be special is finding a neighborhood of smaller low-maintenance homes with more open space throughout all buffered from any major roads or thoroughfares. That would be different, but they won't do that because the profit margins would be lower. Over the years, every new development that comes in becomes more driven for profit. Design and development trends are driven towards profit, not towards people's actual preferences.

Agreed! I saw another article where they reported one of the Preserve lots, not the house and just the lot, has already sold for over $2M. That reported $700K I would expect will start rising and is where they will make up for all the "Amenities" taking up the land. As for Frisco I would fully expect they are happy as punch since the tax revenues will be high from that development.

I'm not sure how people see any terrain at all in this place. Frisco is flat as a pancake as far as I can see, and if there were any spots with elevated areas, there is cause for concern about foundation issues. In any case, we're likely looking at a case where the cheapest homes will still be seven figures, so I really couldn't care less if any of them have foundation problems.

Cut and Fill is a very common practice here for creating sloping in developments. I watched one going in not far from me where they appeared to be filling as high as 7' - 8'+ just to get rid of the extreme slopes. There was really no preparation of the land to either properly water soils or de-water soils for the home pads. The development is ongoing and I have heard, but did not confirm, they are already experiencing foundation issues. This development was farm land, as many are, and it sits on all highly expansive clay soils.

I would expect that those buying in the "Master" section with the custom homes have the money and hopefully the forethought to account for this in their foundation designs. The rest of the serfs will be expected to take what they are given.

Thoughts above in blue. It will be interesting to watch this development and see what happens with all aspects of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 03:44 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Thoughts above in blue. It will be interesting to watch this development and see what happens with all aspects of it.
I didn't see $700K reported anywhere. Thus far, Highland and Toll Brothers are expecting theirs to start in the millions. Taylor Morrison has not set an estimate, but they do show a less expensive "villas" series they recently built in Allen at Watters Creek that closed out last year in the mid to upper $600s I believe. Those are 30 foot wide lots, so they look kind of silly, and the floor plan is very constrained.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:35 PM

210 posts, read 276,834 times
Appreciate well reasoned and thought out comments, finally! The Dallas North Tollway started in 1966, through our neighborhood just out of northwest downtown Dallas, curved NORTH and never looked back! Have yet to hear of major foundation issues, like anywhere else there will be some. Homebuyers are coming like you would not believe to these northern suburbs, with many paying all cash! JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! Is what is drawing them to Texas. The Fields Project as some stated is gonna have a variety of lot sizes but not everyone wants a 3,000 to 5,000 s.f. home. They want quality and a great amenity package, no town or city in NTX, has ever attempted a community of this magnitude. Ritz-Carlton will build a hotel along with the Omni that's almost completed, along with other luxury and high end retail centers, restaurants and much much more. Glad to finally see this come about, Big D made the right decision to build the DNT, it has helped to DIVERSIFY our NTX economy away from oil & gas. This will be for the better, helping Texans find better well-paying jobs and getting us away from the Permian Basin in West Texas. Let's enjoy the ride 'cause the DNT is headed for the Oklahoma Border just up the road a piece! This is my home, the Great State of Texas, I'm a proud Tejano Texan! :-)

Old 11-05-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I didn't see $700K reported anywhere. Thus far, Highland and Toll Brothers are expecting theirs to start in the millions. Taylor Morrison has not set an estimate, but they do show a less expensive "villas" series they recently built in Allen at Watters Creek that closed out last year in the mid to upper $600s I believe. Those are 30 foot wide lots, so they look kind of silly, and the floor plan is very constrained.

This was the page on their site that listed the $700K starting price https://fieldsfrisco.com/over-3500-h...ent-in-frisco/ .

No surprise on the start in the millions range! Again I can't honestly see $700K except for a small townhome or condo arrangement.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
This was the page on their site that listed the $700K starting price https://fieldsfrisco.com/over-3500-h...ent-in-frisco/ .

No surprise on the start in the millions range! Again I can't honestly see $700K except for a small townhome or condo arrangement.
It said "Brookside" which doesn't appear to be zoned for townhomes, but those villas are pretty much the equivalent at 30 feet wide, so that may be realistic as a "base price." They'll make up for the shortfall with "lot premiums" and upgrades. Here's their former model in Allen
https://www.redfin.com/TX/Allen/1067...home/167676375

Old 11-05-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
It said "Brookside" which doesn't appear to be zoned for townhomes, but those villas are pretty much the equivalent at 30 feet wide, so that may be realistic as a "base price." They'll make up for the shortfall with "lot premiums" and upgrades. Here's their former model in Allen
https://www.redfin.com/TX/Allen/1067...home/167676375

Yes agreed that they do look silly. Of course that's just my opinion as others may like that and that is their choice. But I can see where they could start something like that at $700K and then gouge deeply for the upgrades.

I'll be watching this development out of interest to see what happens when they start building.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:50 AM

788 posts, read 1,225,962 times
Quote:

I agree the narrow villas definitely limit options inside. I visited one in Allen about 5 years ago when they started that community - it was 395K new from Darling as an inventory home on Drew Street. I remember thinking the floor plans were extremely odd, for example: your patio and side door looking out on the brick wall of your neighbor’s house 8 ft away, the upstairs being very compartmentalized with a maze of oddly configured rooms, downstairs being narrow for furniture placement - the only floor plan that semi-worked was the model…

That said, they have these at spice wood at Craig ranch, las colinas, old town coppell and lakeside in flower mound, and they’ve all increased well in value and sell well. I think overall, Darling did what they could with the limited space and some of the more timeless elevations do actually look cute, although a little odd.

Here is one for sale in Lakeside - it’s a little overpriced, but they sell well.

My concern would be more quality has gone down since Darling got bought out and Taylor Morrison sucks

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M75534-76961

Old 11-06-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I agree the narrow villas definitely limit options inside. I visited one in Allen about 5 years ago when they started that community - it was 395K new from Darling as an inventory home on Drew Street. I remember thinking the floor plans were extremely odd, for example: your patio and side door looking out on the brick wall of your neighbor’s house 8 ft away, the upstairs being very compartmentalized with a maze of oddly configured rooms, downstairs being narrow for furniture placement - the only floor plan that semi-worked was the model…

That said, they have these at spice wood at Craig ranch, las colinas, old town coppell and lakeside in flower mound, and they’ve all increased well in value and sell well. I think overall, Darling did what they could with the limited space and some of the more timeless elevations do actually look cute, although a little odd.

Here is one for sale in Lakeside - it’s a little overpriced, but they sell well.

My concern would be more quality has gone down since Darling got bought out and Taylor Morrison sucks

I wouldn't have ever bought a Darling in the first place. They built my neighborhood and did an absolutely terrible job. I never could figure out where all their praise came from, unless it was just PR.

I'd also never deal with any builder who would resort to auctioning inventory to the highest bidder. Their responses to the market craziness over the last couple years says a lot about them.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post

Quote:
I wouldn't have ever bought a Darling in the first place. They built my neighborhood and did an absolutely terrible job. I never could figure out where all their praise came from, unless it was just PR.

I'd also never deal with any builder who would resort to auctioning inventory to the highest bidder. Their responses to the market craziness over the last couple years says a lot about them.

Long, long ago in a land far, far away Darling was my hands down favorite builder. As an Inspector they made it so easy during phase inspections.
  • During the build all materials stored outside were raised off the ground, and when needed covered, to protect them. That meany I could see framing materials and not mud and dirt. Also materials were kept in much better shape.
  • During the build materials stored inside were raised as needed to protect them. This was particularly important with gypsum board (drywall).
  • Builds were lock step meaning NOTHING was accomplished on the interior until the house was properly dried in and no chance of the elements getting in to damage materials.
  • Darlings own QC process was very impressive. Issues were found though with some significant. All they said was "Ooops" and "Thanks for bringing it to our attention" and then they fixed the issues.
  • The contractors were forced to keep their site clean and not leave garbage and bits/pieces all around during the build. This was a daily requirement for the contractors not only to keep their site clean but also to prevent garbage from blowing around the street.
  • Once weekly, sometimes twice weekly, they had cleaning crews in during the build to thoroughly clean the interior including vacuuming out stud bays, heavy sweeping of floors, etc., etc. Made it real easy to see the issues if they were there.
  • They used quality materials and threw out the junk that would slip through manufacturer's own grading process or were damaged between manufacturer and delivery.
  • They worked with the other builders to ensure their problems did not become Darling's buyer problems. If the other builder would not handle something and it would affect their buyer (mostly grading/drainage type issues) they fixed it. Their after buy support was pretty awesome.
Their prices appeared to be higher than other builders at that time. Somewhere along the way it became to expensive to do it right and they sold. Since that time things appeared to have changed significantly. It did not take long for their stellar reputation to wear off.

Nuff said on that one except RIP the original Darling!

Last edited by escanlan; 11-07-2022 at 07:08 AM..

Old 11-07-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Long, long ago in a land far, far away Darling was my hands down favorite builder. As an Inspector they made it so easy during phase inspections.
  • During the build all materials stored outside were raised off the ground, and when needed covered, to protect them. That meany I could see framing materials and not mud and dirt. Also materials were kept in much better shape.
  • During the build materials stored inside were raised as needed to protect them. This was particularly important with gypsum board (drywall).
  • Builds were lock step meaning NOTHING was accomplished on the interior until the house was properly dried in and no chance of the elements getting in to damage materials.
  • Darlings own QC process was very impressive. Issues were found though with some significant. All they said was "Ooops" and "Thanks for bringing it to our attention" and then they fixed the issues.
  • The contractors were forced to keep their site clean and not leave garbage and bits/pieces all around during the build. This was a daily requirement for the contractors not only to keep their site clean but also to prevent garbage from blowing around the street.
  • Once weekly, sometimes twice weekly, they had cleaning crews in during the build to thoroughly clean the interior including vacuuming out stud bays, heavy sweeping of floors, etc., etc. Made it real easy to see the issues if they were there.
  • They used quality materials and threw out the junk that would slip through manufacturer's own grading process or were damaged between manufacturer and delivery.
  • They worked with the other builders to ensure their problems did not become Darling's buyer problems. If the other builder would not handle something and it would affect their buyer (mostly grading/drainage type issues) they fixed it. Their after buy support was pretty awesome.
Their prices appeared to be higher than other builders at that time. Somewhere along the way it became to expensive to do it right and they sold. Since that time things appeared to have changed significantly. It did not take long for their stellar reputation to wear off.

Nuff said on that one except RIP the original Darling!
No, my house goes back even farther to their very first builds in Stonebridge Ranch. This was before they were limited to building McMansions. They were absolutely horrible and more on par with what you would see with Lennar or DR Horton today. I would not have trusted them 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

Perhaps people speak of their "in between" McMansion days, but all that shows is that they never cared at all about their smaller houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas