Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 08:52 AM

5,266 posts, read 6,419,600 times

Advertisements

I grew up post-swipe but still online dating timeline, but when I was dating, the declines were more like Ft Worth, not Plano. Plano is only like 18 miles from downtown Dallas, and at times when US75 or the DNT is empty, it's faster to get to downtown from Plano than from points in far east Dallas or west Dallas. Also, downtown's population is pretty small, and statistically, demographically, is married.

Basically my point is that singles in DFW live everywhere, so Plano, or Garland, or Richardson are not deal-breakers. Also most of the people who go to lower Greenville or Addison or Legacy on the weekends are from elsewhere - including Lewisville/McKinney etc, and from farther away (Kansas/Oklahoma/etc visiting). I'd also say that currently Legacy can hold its own vs downtown Dallas during an event weekend. Maybe the dead weekends more in going on downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 09:42 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,062,941 times
Bring a puppy to Katy Trail ice house in Plano and you may have a good chance of pulling something out of there.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:46 AM

625 posts, read 671,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I grew up post-swipe but still online dating timeline, but when I was dating, the declines were more like Ft Worth, not Plano. Plano is only like 18 miles from downtown Dallas, and at times when US75 or the DNT is empty, it's faster to get to downtown from Plano than from points in far east Dallas or west Dallas. Also, downtown's population is pretty small, and statistically, demographically, is married.

Basically my point is that singles in DFW live everywhere, so Plano, or Garland, or Richardson are not deal-breakers. Also most of the people who go to lower Greenville or Addison or Legacy on the weekends are from elsewhere - including Lewisville/McKinney etc, and from farther away (Kansas/Oklahoma/etc visiting). I'd also say that currently Legacy can hold its own vs downtown Dallas during an event weekend. Maybe the dead weekends more in going on downtown.

I guess it depends upon your target demographic. I absolutely know singles who won't date people from the suburbs. "Geographically undesirable" is what I'm told. Its not just that its 'too far' but lifestyle-related. No different than when I lived on the East coast and friends wouldn't date 'bridge and tunnel' people from NY or 'outside the beltway' from DC.

But there are singles all over and it might be one-way to self-edit people who the OP wouldn't 'jive' with anyway.

Old 11-08-2022, 12:31 PM

588 posts, read 489,409 times
Plano has three single/couple friendly areas, Shops at Legacy, Austin Ranch and downtown Plano. You'll have shorter weekly commute and can easily access Dallas spots on weekend.

Its just a rental, if not vibing then move next year.

Old 11-09-2022, 04:19 PM

319 posts, read 230,065 times
Try Austin Ranch in The Colony, i think its holding up as a good place for singles.

Old 11-10-2022, 03:40 PM

379 posts, read 367,197 times
Remember this board skews very old and very frumpy before choosing to live out in the suburbs as a single person.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:07 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Neither location would have you sitting in traffic for hours. A Google Maps search can give you those travel times if commute time is your only consideration. Those are 2 completely different lifestyles which will also be worth considering. Lastly, I believe you mean Uptown, not Midtown. In Dallas, "Midtown" is a fictitious neighborhood that hasn't even come into fruition yet, which will be located near the Dallas Galleria.
There's one fictitious neighborhood, and there's another one that uses the name and actually has real buildings with names like "The Legacy Midtown Park" and "Everra Midtown Park Apartments".

It's along Manderville east of Central and west of Royal Oaks Country Club between Walnut Hill and Royal.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:14 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
I guess it depends upon your target demographic. I absolutely know singles who won't date people from the suburbs. "Geographically undesirable" is what I'm told. Its not just that its 'too far' but lifestyle-related. No different than when I lived on the East coast and friends wouldn't date 'bridge and tunnel' people from NY or 'outside the beltway' from DC.

But there are singles all over and it might be one-way to self-edit people who the OP wouldn't 'jive' with anyway.
I remember one year, a girl I went out with for a little while dressed up as "972" for Halloween. She wore a hodge-podge of cheesy stuff. And she wasn't even from the Park Cities -- she was from Lake Highlands. All the best people, of course, stay inside 635. But I recall "geographically undesirable" referring to distance more than culture.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:16 PM

4,236 posts, read 6,923,593 times
When I was single here and living in the M Streets, I rarely (I think only once) dated someone that lived outside of 635. Realistically it was rare someone was north of 12. This was a mixture of distance and culture both. But the culture was kind of by proxy.

I did a mixture of dating apps (tinder and bumble mainly at the time) and candid approaches. I typically approached women in person at events where I knew a common interest likely existed: at late night DMA exhibits, at music venues, at the dive bars I hung out at, at themed parties I was attending etc. Probably 90% of the time, the people I met at the places I liked to be also lived near me, so it just made it easy. I wasn't actively opposed to dating someone who lived north of 635, but the people who shares my cultural interests were largely already there.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,491,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
When I was single here and living in the M Streets, I rarely (I think only once) dated someone that lived outside of 635. Realistically it was rare someone was north of 12. This was a mixture of distance and culture both. But the culture was kind of by proxy.

I did a mixture of dating apps (tinder and bumble mainly at the time) and candid approaches. I typically approached women in person at events where I knew a common interest likely existed: at late night DMA exhibits, at music venues, at the dive bars I hung out at, at themed parties I was attending etc. Probably 90% of the time, the people I met at the places I liked to be also lived near me, so it just made it easy. I wasn't actively opposed to dating someone who lived north of 635, but the people who shares my cultural interests were largely already there.
100% this ^

Find the neighborhood you like and you’re more likely to find the people you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: