Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 08:03 PM

3,856 posts, read 4,456,850 times

Advertisements

I know absolutetely NOTHING about flying so forgive my ignorance...how on earth does that even happen??? were the pilots not aware that the other was also flying? dont they see each other? Granted planes move much faster than say two cars but I would have thought at least one of the pilots would have had time for evasive action...but I'm open to correction if that is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 09:23 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,041,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I know absolutetely NOTHING about flying so forgive my ignorance...how on earth does that even happen??? were the pilots not aware that the other was also flying? dont they see each other? Granted planes move much faster than say two cars but I would have thought at least one of the pilots would have had time for evasive action...but I'm open to correction if that is not the case.
To my eyes the smaller plane blindsided the larger one. Not sure if anything has been reported about the smaller plane’s pilot yet.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:26 PM

5,956 posts, read 4,214,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
From what I've read, the P-63 (the smaller plane) has a well-known blindspot. I've heard some aviation folks say it seems likely that the pilot in the P-63 couldn't see the B-17 until it was too late. There are no black boxes on these planes, so the investigation will be very different than a commercial jet crash investigation.

A lot of the normal questions people would have after plane crashes, like "What could have prevented this?" are somewhat moot because modern aircraft already have equipment that could have prevented this. These are vintage airplanes doing an exhibition. I'm certainly not saying nothing could have prevented this, just that some of the big causes here likely have solutions in the modern technology that exists in commercial planes.

I'm not an aviation expert, so don't listen to me too much.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:34 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,854,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Sadly people never seem to learn from kinds of stuff. Less than a year after Astroworld, a much worse festival crush happened in Seoul

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/So...en-crowd-crush
They always learn. The situations are just always very different.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:36 PM

These aviators are all friends. They've flow with each other before, they are long-time buddies. They also have decades of flying experience. They absolutely love what they do.

It's hard to say how this happened, but it's certainly a tragedy.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:02 AM

840 posts, read 777,369 times
This could have been so easily prevented!

Any plane with a known blind spot should be totally grounded permanently.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post

Most planes have huge blind spots. The P-63 might have had the smallest blind spot of any of the planes out there.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:12 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,180,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post

Good thing you aren’t in charge.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:22 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,061,646 times
It could have been much worse. It's a good thing those plans crashed within the confines of the airport. They could have crashed in a residential neighborhood or on Hwy 67.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:13 AM

122 posts, read 175,032 times
Forgive my ignorance -- but it seems to me that the sky is very big and wide, not like roads on the ground with just a few lanes. Why would two small planes (compared to the big sky) collide in the sky? So much space out there, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: