Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 02:38 PM

8,391 posts, read 4,385,023 times

Advertisements

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...b-961874c52bea

So very sad and gut wrenching. Several videos from different angles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 03:13 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,997,615 times
And the kids were saying, "Was that supposed to happen? Was that supposed to happen?"

Heartbreaking.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:50 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,419,938 times
It looks like a terrible accident. The bottom of the smaller plane was above the B-17 so it's entirely possible the pilot couldn't see the bomber...in a blind spot. It's also possible the smaller plane's pilot misjudged his turn radius.

Old 11-12-2022, 04:42 PM

15,531 posts, read 7,559,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It looks like a terrible accident. The bottom of the smaller plane was above the B-17 so it's entirely possible the pilot couldn't see the bomber...in a blind spot. It's also possible the smaller plane's pilot misjudged his turn radius.
From the limited video so far, the P-39 is at fault. Really sad. Every time one of these incidents happens I wonder if the FAA will make the requirements far more strict, eliminate formation flying, acrobatics if more than one plane is in the air, etc.

Old 11-12-2022, 05:10 PM

8,502 posts, read 6,921,280 times
Looks like the P63 was making a simulated attack run on the B17. Got way to close and this terrible accident occurred. Perhaps there should a review and possible new rules about how these air shows are conducted. Condolences to the families of those who perished.

Old 11-12-2022, 05:21 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,067,637 times
That just breaks my heart. Prayers for those who lost loved ones.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:14 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,266,920 times
Reports up to 6 people on board.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...268672947.html

Quote:
Officials have not confirmed the number of fatalities but said the B-17 had a crew of four or five people, while the Kingcobra was flown by a single pilot. No paying customers were on board.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:02 PM

10,932 posts, read 4,595,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...b-961874c52bea

So very sad and gut wrenching. Several videos from different angles.

agreed, and angering. These 're-enactors' around the country have a worse record than every single 3rd world airline in the world. If I were the FAA I would put on some strong clamps on these vintage aircraft and how are they rated in type? since there is no more type, I dont see IP's - making this all 100% experimental...they were what, 30 minutes away to be full of PAX?

for example, that B17 would have been group B, >2 engines, tailwheel. Is there ANYTHING like it on the planet and even if there is, does it fly like a 17? Each one of these aircraft were built and flown when they were essentially inventing the game and the handling characteristics were not a +1 on some other aircraft.

Granted, the 17 pilots had no choice, I have seen enuf ww2 film that these kind oif mishaps was 100% fatal and even if they were up high, when mortally wounded the spin characteristic rarely allowed ANYONE to get out, other than the waist gunner that fell out. but the 63? what was on his mind? either he went brain dead or some part of the 63's handling did not go his way as he shallow dove on the 17

and the P63 pilot had to be greener that green FOR AN ATTACK RUN. Im sure he had many hours of single engine hi po tail draggin aircraft In the war, most of the attacking fast aircraft like the me-109 would be in the 250-300kt range and the german pilots practiced the approach and overshoot to avoid exactly what happened - the B17 was so damn lumbering slow a crippled one even slower. In this instance, the 17 was likely flying well under formation speed and for the show the 63 well over a strafing run. in real life the pilots walked the guns into the fuselage from an above (preferred for air speed) or side so the tail and waist gunners were least effective when they encounter a straggler. they had to pump lead and then overshoot the aircraft and turn to give no more than 1 defensive gun at a time to return fire. When B17s came apart, historically they shed *a lot * of parts to the rear so you never select a run from the front that puts you behind and below the aircraft (aside from the B24 which more often that not just simply blew up in all directions)

point being, no foe in ww2 fielded an aircraft like the 17 so the tactic was never practiced by us pilots. the germans however, spent all day practicing attacks from 12 oclock from the front at a closing speed of 500 miles an hour and in the event of stragglers or even the full box, like that pilot did to hit the top of the wing and take out the engine lube tanks. engines seizing up over germany is just as good as a knockdown

This pilot had no idea what it was like to attack something much slower - indeed if you read the comments on any video more than one person remarked the 63 pilot could not have been more on target if he did this on purpose. since no one on the planet alive has this training, and no one on the planet alive can give this training, it has to be banned outright forever. Or else more relics are going in.

and its not like we have a ton of these lying around

lotta people died for no reason

Old 11-12-2022, 07:22 PM

16,572 posts, read 10,676,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
And the kids were saying, "Was that supposed to happen? Was that supposed to happen?"

Heartbreaking.
That was almost as hard as watching the actual crash.

I'm a fan of air shows, but I'd rather just have the B-17 fly along and take off and land, so we can admire that beautiful plane in all its glory. Simulated combat just might not be such a good idea in these cases.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:41 PM

15,531 posts, read 7,559,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
That was almost as hard as watching the actual crash.

I'm a fan of air shows, but I'd rather just have the B-17 fly along and take off and land, so we can admire that beautiful plane in all its glory. Simulated combat just might not be such a good idea in these cases.
I am not a fan of formation flying unless it's straight and level. Too many things can go wrong, and too many pilots have egos the size of a city that make them believe they can never do anything wrong. And, many warbird pilots are old, with slower reactions, worse vision, etc. Plus, these warbirds are full of gasoline, which makes any explosion far worse.

I'm OK with high performance fighters flying single aircraft displays, but I would not like to see multi-plane displays except for active military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation