Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 02:16 PM

23 posts, read 24,121 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

We live in another state and next year our kid will start high school.

In case if we need to push the move back one year, is it possible to ask the high school in these northern suburbs to allow our kid repeat the year so can start as a freshman?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 02:43 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinfamily44 View Post
Hello everyone!

In case if we need to push the move back one year, is it possible to ask the high school in these northern suburbs to allow our kid repeat the year so can start as a freshman?

Thank you!

Why would you want to do that if the child can start in their proper grade?

Old 11-18-2022, 03:46 PM

23 posts, read 24,121 times
So that my kid will not start 2nd year of high school in a new state and city but first year 9th grade…

Old 11-18-2022, 05:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinfamily44 View Post
Hello everyone!

Thank you!
I understand why you would ask this question but it’s really not necessary in 90% of the northern suburb high schools and here’s why:

•Allen ISD has a freshman campus and then 10-12 are in the high school. There are around 1,800 kids PER GRADE in the high school campus. They don’t all know each other and your kid will be able to make lots of new friends.

•Plano ISD has high school divided into 9/10 campuses and 11/12 senior high schools. Again something like 1200-1500 kids per grade. They don’t all know each other and haven’t all been together since kinder.

•Frisco ISD has “smaller” schools aka 500-700 kids per grade. FISD has 22,000 kids enrolled in high school across 12 campuses. They love to shuffle the school boundaries every other year to accommodate growth & the new campuses opening so the 10th graders almost certainly have NOT been with the same kids for the past 10 years. Plus a huge percent of the ISD’s enrollment have relocated to Texas in the past 0-10 years. Same thing with Prosper ISD just on smaller scale.

There is NO logical reason to hold back a 9th grader who is working at on-grade level academics and is socially/emotionally mainstream and not especially young for the grade (ie, will be at least 15 by Sept 1 of freshman year).. You are not moving to a tiny town where there are 100 kids in the grade who have all been together since diapers (or since their parents were in diapers in the same small town).

In fact, it could backfire and make your kid wonder what is so wrong with them that they need to repeat 9th grade. It could be a confidence and self-esteem killer at a time where they need confidence. Moving into Frisco / Plano / etc is not the same as repeating 9th grade to accept a spot at an elite boarding school…that is literally the only acceptable scenario where a capable student would repeat 9th.

Old 11-18-2022, 08:19 PM

588 posts, read 486,129 times
You can call Plano ISD and ask but slim chances of any public school letting you repeat a year because you couldn't move at right time to join right grade. I'm sure private schools wouldn't mind. Your fear to start in 10th grade is legit as it takes time to learn how system works in a new district.

Old 11-18-2022, 08:42 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

There is NO logical reason to hold back a 9th grader who is working at on-grade level academics and is socially/emotionally mainstream and not especially young for the grade (ie, will be at least 15 by Sept 1 of freshman year).. You are not moving to a tiny town where there are 100 kids in the grade who have all been together since diapers (or since their parents were in diapers in the same small town).

This is something of a tangent but are you saying that a kid is "young" for his grade if he's not 15 by the beginning of 9th? Even in our red-shirt crazed world, that doesn't sound right to me.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
This is something of a tangent but are you saying that a kid is "young" for his grade if he's not 15 by the beginning of 9th? Even in our red-shirt crazed world, that doesn't sound right to me.
No - I wrote that in a confusing way, my bad. I was trying to say if he would be 15 before starting his 2nd freshman year, he would not have been an exceptionally young sophomore staying in his current grade & therefore that’s not a reason to repeat.

One of my best friends from high school started school in Hong Kong and had a January birthday….she was 13 in 9th grade until after Christmas. That is *exceptionally* young and could warrant holding back…..it didn’t phase my friend who went on to Oxford but she was not the norm.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:35 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
No - I wrote that in a confusing way, my bad. I was trying to say if he would be 15 before starting his 2nd freshman year, he would not have been an exceptionally young sophomore staying in his current grade & therefore that’s not a reason to repeat.

One of my best friends from high school started school in Hong Kong and had a January birthday….she was 13 in 9th grade until after Christmas. That is *exceptionally* young and could warrant holding back…..it didn’t phase my friend who went on to Oxford but she was not the norm.

That makes so much more sense. Plenty of my kids' friends will be 15 by the start of freshmen year but I don't consider anyone "young" until we hit the kids with June-August bdays and they are the youngest in the grade rather than the oldest.

Old 11-19-2022, 05:28 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
If he’s at all interested in athletics, you may be jeopardizing his eligibility by holding him back. I’d be very careful and check all of the UIL rules on that.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:51 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Thought it was pretty common to hold kids back for athletics in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: