Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2023, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 21,827 times

Advertisements

My 3 year old got declined from GH. I was surprised that we didn’t get a waitlist, so I am wondering if it is even a good choice to reapply next year. We feel like we had a strong application and interview. I will say he is a summer child, so I am wondering if they feel he just was not ready emotionally at that time. It is just a little disheartening, even though I wasn’t expecting an admission, I was at least thinking waitlist at worst. Have others attempted to reapply even if they have rejected and what are the chances of getting in once you have been rejected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,084 times
Hello Folks, We heard back from schools yesterday and our son got accepted for kinder at Greenhill and ESD. We are aware that GH ranks higher on paper but for some reason I did not get a great vibe when we visited the lower school at GH. The school seems dark and gloomy. On the other hand, ESD was well lit and felt very welcoming. Does anyone else feel similarly about the lower school at GH? We are also interested to hear from the group in terms of direct comparison of the curriculum.

We are overjoyed regardless as these are two great schools but want to make the right choice which seems to be a tough one now.

Old 03-11-2023, 09:08 AM

13 posts, read 37,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallmom View Post
Has anyone heard from GH yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDad View Post
Hello Folks, We heard back from schools yesterday and our son got accepted for kinder at Greenhill and ESD. We are aware that GH ranks higher on paper but for some reason I did not get a great vibe when we visited the lower school at GH. The school seems dark and gloomy. On the other hand, ESD was well lit and felt very welcoming. Does anyone else feel similarly about the lower school at GH? We are also interested to hear from the group in terms of direct comparison of the curriculum.

We are overjoyed regardless as these are two great schools but want to make the right choice which seems to be a tough one now.
Congrats! Those are definitely two amazing schools to pick from. I don't have any experience with either curriculum but I will say I had the same experience when I visited the lower school at GH. In fact, my feeling after touring the lower school had me questioning why we were applying there in the first place other than the school's great reputation. However, I will say, when we went back for the observation and I got to chat with a few of the folks from the school there, I got a completely different feeling and I did experience the warm and welcoming vibe that I got at most of the other schools we toured. For whatever reason, it was completely missing on the tour but I do think it exists, at least from my outsiders perspective.

Old 03-11-2023, 09:12 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDad View Post

Congrats on the kinder accepts! Those are two VERY different schools. I can’t imagine being torn between them. High level major differences:

ESD families tend to be extremely conservative; GH moderate to extremely liberal.
ESD is not very diverse (especially in lower school); GH is very diverse.
ESD is a faith based school; GH is not. As such, GH has a large number of students of different and even no faiths.
ESD classic prep school uniforms; GH no uniforms.
ESD families tend to live clustered closer to campus; GH pulls from all around the DFW metroplex.

Both have impressive and capable administration and divisional leadership.

Both have very nice campuses. The ESD lower school building is only a few years old so it’s obvi nicer/newer than GH’s Pk/kinder building but both have excellent facilities overall. ESD is more sporty so they have bigger /better athletic facilities.

I wouldn’t pick one school over the other because of a building. The people in the building are what’s important. The faculty/staff and other families are what will create your child’s school and social experiences.

Also- keep in mind it’s ok to reach out to the school(s) and do another visit before making your decision. Maybe some time observing a kinder class next week or speaking to some lower school parents at both schools would help? Admissions wants to be your partner and they want families who are invested to accept.

Old 03-11-2023, 10:35 AM

13 posts, read 26,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscoboy View Post
ISEE all 9’s (three full score). AIME qualifier. Band all region. St. Mark’s waiting list. Accepted to GH.
Which grade?

Old 03-11-2023, 10:41 AM

21 posts, read 34,504 times
We applied to PreK for our daughter at ESD, Good Shepherd, and Hockaday but were wait pooled. She was accepted to Parish. While we’re grateful for the acceptance to Parish, we were really hoping for ESD or Good Shepherd. Does anyone have any insight on how much the lists might move for either ESD or GS? - Has anyone/anyone they know decline either of those schools for acceptance to another for PreK, specifically?

Old 03-11-2023, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanD View Post
Which grade?
8th applying for 9th grade. A little disappointed.

Old 03-11-2023, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,253 times
[quote=texstout;64927605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post

I always thought it was 30% of the 88 spots were based upon highest scores.
https://www.dallasisd.org/Page/56903

Selection Process

The number of seats available for each magnet program will be identified before the application process begins. Seats will be awarded based on the following formula:
  • 30% of the seats are awarded districtwide by rank-ordering of applicants based on overall criteria score without consideration of feeder pattern or sibling status
  • 70% of the seats are awarded within the comprehensive high school feeder patterns (adjusted proportionally for student population) by rank-ordering of applicants based on overall criteria score; subject to sibling rule or preference
Could someone clarify what "high school feeder pattern" mean when applying to TAG schools? Does it mean that 70% of spots are given only to people from predesignated "feeder" schools? So if anyone applying from a private or a none feeder school, they'll be competing for 30% of the spots only? That seems very unfair.

Old 03-12-2023, 09:34 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
[quote=dkc1719;64993605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;64927605

Could someone clarify what "high school feeder pattern" mean when applying to TAG schools? Does it mean that 70% of spots are given only to people from predesignated "feeder" schools? So if anyone applying from a private or a none feeder school, they'll be competing for 30% of the spots only? That seems very unfair.
The 70% is from ALL feeder patterns, not just designated feeders. That 70% is divvied up proportionally based on student population. At least that’s my understanding. Also, I believe that feeder pattern relates to where you live, not actually which schools your student attended previously, so it doesn’t matter if you are applying from Private, local zoned public, or other magnets.

The challenge is that there is way more competition from the Woodrow pattern than others for example.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:14 AM

20 posts, read 26,068 times
Is the School for the TAG the only TAG high school in Dallas? Seems the rest like Travis, Sudie, and Dealey only goes to 8th grade. Where do people go for 9th grade from these middle schools if they don’t get into TAG?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: