Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 02:52 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times

Advertisements

Nobody really chooses airports based on ratings/ rankings. People choose based on airlines and maybe location...

Good for the airport CEO bonus I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 03:10 PM

8,321 posts, read 5,481,561 times
I miss having DFW as my home airport, but I do NOT miss American Airlines. They're awful. United isn't wonderful but they are a lot better.

But I can easily believe DFW is the best major hub airport in the country.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:41 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,193,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
LaGuardia's gone through a recent renovation and is a lot better than it was. I've had to go through there recently and it was a breeze. Huge improvement from the past.
That's good to know especially since I'll be there next year.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:59 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
DFW airport is okay. What is more impressive about DFW airport is the airport grounds and how large of a complex it is. The actual terminals and whatnot are nothing special to me. As a hub airport, it gets beat by Denver IMO which is the best domestic hub IMO. Only real megative thing about DIA is the food options are terrible.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:20 AM

772 posts, read 933,076 times
When you consider all the ancillary aspects of DFW that are much better than nearly every other major airport out there, it's a really strong contender to be considered the best or among the best airports in the US. DFW benefits from being spread out and having a lot of space for parking and expansion, more security checkpoints than most other airports per terminal, etc. It is by far the quickest airport you can fly in/out of if you are parking a car and have to take the Skylink to get back to your originating terminal to get to your car, and at the end of a long day, that counts for a lot with me.

There are plenty of lounges for flyers who have airline status or AmEx benefits, and they are good at DFW, not the best I've seen, but nice.

Restaurant choices are good, better than most. I would like to see some of the terminal restaurants/bars become more automated, like you see with United's terminal at Newark and some others. So easy to use the touchscreen terminal to order your food/drinks/pay and go without having to wait for anyone. I think they'll add this eventually to DFW, it's becoming more common as airports go through renovations.

I just got back from Chicago on Tues... flying out, I was through security in about 3 minutes at DFW, and that was not using a Pre-Check access point either. Going through the non Pre-Check checkpoint at ORD took 20 minutes with a fairly small line of people. When it's busy, getting through security there can take over an hour. I've never had that kind of wait time at DFW, even when forced to use a non Precheck entrance.

Most frequent travelers would love to have DFW as their main hub.

Old 04-01-2023, 12:58 AM

689 posts, read 638,386 times
DFW has a lot going for it. As Thomas mentioned, security generally moves very fast there. I also really like how you can walk between Terminals A, B, C, and D. I often schedule a 1-2 hour connection window and enjoy the exercise. Yeah I know that's odd. I like the access to the airport as well both by car and light rail. My most recent time there was for a downtown stay and I didn't even bother to rent a car. The food options are reasonable. Baggage delivery is reasonable as well. All in all, it's a nice hub.

Old 04-01-2023, 03:34 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
LaGuardia's gone through a recent renovation and is a lot better than it was. I've had to go through there recently and it was a breeze. Huge improvement from the past.

I've flown in and out of LaGuardia beginning as little kid. The re-fresh of B and C look awesome. The old spaces smelled like dirty bandaids and grease and both B and C felt vaguely dangerous. That said people who fly often tend to focus on curb to gate and parking spot to gate times . Pre-refresh I/we quite reliably made it from Uber/taxi/curb to gate in 10-12 minutes. I'd guess post re-fresh curb to gate times are 2 or 2.5X slower.

_______

DFW kills it in terms of parking spot to gate times. Literally hundred of times I've parked my car, gone though TSA pre-check to gate in 8-10-12 minutes.

______

Someone about was extolling DIA.......parking spot to gate times at DIA don't even compare to DFW.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:27 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,873,638 times
Nobody really chooses airports based on ratings/ rankings. People choose based on airlines and maybe location...

Absolutely untrue. You're thinking about departure / arrival. But if it's a layover - then I 100% choose my airport based on the airport, all other things being equal. Nothing to do with airlines or location.

Those ratings are indirect, at best - but they can help an inexperienced flyer find a great layover instead of awful. For instance - I would always choose CLT over MIA. I would always choose LGA or JFK over ORD. "Why" doesn't matter - my personal choice - but choices nonetheless.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:15 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,164,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Someone about was extolling DIA.......parking spot to gate times at DIA don't even compare to DFW.
Yep. DIA is not a fast airport. Only having two security checkpoints, which are basically right next to each other, means sometimes the line is LONG. I think DIA is a fine airport, but I'd pick DFW over it every time.

We are willing to pay a good amount more to fly out of COS instead of DIA. There's really no comparison between the two assuming flight times, destinations, etc. work out of the smaller airport. Even the airport staff seem friendlier and less stressed.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:55 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Yep. DIA is not a fast airport. Only having two security checkpoints, which are basically right next to each other, means sometimes the line is LONG. I think DIA is a fine airport, but I'd pick DFW over it every time.

We are willing to pay a good amount more to fly out of COS instead of DIA. There's really no comparison between the two assuming flight times, destinations, etc. work out of the smaller airport. Even the airport staff seem friendlier and less stressed.
when I mentioned DIA I was specifically talking about it as a connecting airport. It is definitely one of the better ones with a really efficient terminal design. the only downside with connecting in DIA is the food options need to get better.

Smaller airports in general are going to have much less stress than larger international airports. No surprises there between COS and DIA. This is one reason why I like flying into Palm Springs or Ontario when doing SoCal travel because those airports are really simple. Doesn't mean they are better for layovers than LAX because they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas