Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 06:51 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNA-DFW View Post
Not in 4 years, We will be there in Dallas by next year May or June
See post #1 - not concerned about schools for next 4 years.
Take a couple of days and spend time in Dallas Drive potential commutes during anticipated commute hours. Look at a good road map. Pull up local TV stations traffic tracker. Five miles on a map can turn into 45 minutes and more.
Adjust your budget or your expectations or both. Are you calculation taxes/insurance/utilities in your budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2023, 09:32 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Check out Midlothian. Not an outrageous drive to Downtown, new construction available, lovely neighborhoods.

Old 06-03-2023, 04:29 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,305 times
Search Castle Hills / The Colony area and get a 5-10 year old house, not brand new.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:40 AM

674 posts, read 334,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmebutter View Post
just my opinion here - I would say 20+ years or 8 or less years if I had to ballpark it. I'm sure there are caveats to that but you want to have the house be new enough to avoid major problems like HVAC, water heaters, plumbing leaks, foundation issues, or old enough that a lot of those things have been repaired/replaced.

every home has maintenance needs but you don't want to drop 15k on HVAC your first year.

For older homes in North Texas you need to check the foundation history and energy efficiency.

I went from a 2200 sq ft house in Plano built in 1978 to a 3000 sq ft house in prosper built in 2018 and the energy savings were significant. The bare bones were fantastic and it was built strong but original windows, 20 year old A/C, shingle roof over a cedar shake roof all contributed to poor energy efficiency. my electricity bill last month was $100, would have been double or triple in my old house.

You know that windows, AC, and roofs can all be replaced right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Search Castle Hills / The Colony area and get a 5-10 year old house, not brand new.
OP's wife is commuting downtown.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:31 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
You know that windows, AC, and roofs can all be replaced right?
All three are very expensive repairs. The A/C can easily set you back $10,000, and the roof will likely be closer to $20,000. Windows will depend on your house so that cost varies. You could easily spend $40,000 on those repairs alone. Most people don't pay to have a roof replaced unless it's been damaged by wind/hail. In that poster's case, they will have to have the old cedar roof ripped off, and all of the decking replaced, which will be an expensive repair.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
All three are very expensive repairs. The A/C can easily set you back $10,000, and the roof will likely be closer to $20,000. Windows will depend on your house so that cost varies. You could easily spend $40,000 on those repairs alone. Most people don't pay to have a roof replaced unless it's been damaged by wind/hail. In that poster's case, they will have to have the old cedar roof ripped off, and all of the decking replaced, which will be an expensive repair.
Thanks; I'm aware of how much these cost, I've done 2/3 of them on my own properties. One of those I've done twice.

In every case it was easier than moving.

Old 06-07-2023, 04:56 PM

14 posts, read 10,176 times
we are scared to get an old house and spend money on repairs or remodeling. Also we got few friends near Plano, and McKinney which made us think to stay something towards north side of the city. We have been visiting Dallas for the last 6 months and we have visited Little Elm, Prosper, celina, Mckinney, Frisco, Plano, Wylie and we have decided either to go with Highland homes or American Legend homes. So tired that we don't want to start our search again in a new area.

If we take out the equation of my wife going to Office to downtown, In terms of growth which one has more positives Painted Tree(McKinney) vs Lilyana(Prosper) vs Parks at Wilson creek(Celina) ?

I liked Painted tree due to the reason that its closer to I95 and closer to Costco, Walmart, Homedepot, Lowes, Lite Farms/Lilyana- Prosper and Celina looked far away from city but has more greenery but smaller roads and less access to retail Stores.

Old 06-07-2023, 06:24 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,085,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
Thanks; I'm aware of how much these cost, I've done 2/3 of them on my own properties. One of those I've done twice.

In every case it was easier than moving.
The price gap between a new and old home the same size in any of these areas is going to, in most cases, drastically exceed the cost of repairs and full remodeling. There is a cultural shift that has widened this gap to historically unprecedented levels.

Quote:
we are scared to get an old house and spend money on repairs or remodeling. Also we got few friends near Plano, and McKinney which made us think to stay something towards north side of the city. We have been visiting Dallas for the last 6 months and we have visited Little Elm, Prosper, celina, Mckinney, Frisco, Plano, Wylie and we have decided either to go with Highland homes or American Legend homes. So tired that we don't want to start our search again in a new area.

If we take out the equation of my wife going to Office to downtown, In terms of growth which one has more positives Painted Tree(McKinney) vs Lilyana(Prosper) vs Parks at Wilson creek(Celina) ?

I liked Painted tree due to the reason that its closer to I95 and closer to Costco, Walmart, Homedepot, Lowes, Lite Farms/Lilyana- Prosper and Celina looked far away from city but has more greenery but smaller roads and less access to retail Stores.
See above note about the price gap. If you want to maximize price appreciation, a new build isn't the way to do that due to the growing gap and cultural preference.

Make a choice based on where you personally feel more comfortable living, not where other people do.

I can tell you right now those neighborhoods in Prosper and Celina are going to be primarily Indian if that floats your boat.

To answer your question, Prosper and McKinney are more established and, like Frisco and Plano, largely built out, so you won't see as much growth. Lilyana is really more in Celina. Celina will see a lot of growth because there is more undeveloped land. However, that growth will slow in the years to come as developers continue to face obstacles with infrastructure. Celina is running out of water and electricity.

As a result, bear in mind that Painted Tree has no PID tax and a much lower base tax rate to boot, and it will amount to a difference of probably around $400-$500 a month. Your budget will stretch a lot farther in McKinney.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:43 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
The best Dallas suburbs are within the city limits of Dallas itself.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
When you own a house you will always spend money on repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas