Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 08:22 PM

127 posts, read 70,157 times

Advertisements

All of North Texas is growing, no doubt. Some places are growing faster than others, however, and the entire stretch of development along Preston Road all the way up to Celina is the hottest area in the Metroplex. So I wonder what the prospects are for growth in other parts of DFW that have not seen as much growth so far. What’s the future look like for places like Ellis County and Kaufman County? In 20 years, do they look anything like how the northern suburbs do today? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 08:59 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
I believe Kaufman County is the fastest growing county in America. A lot of development is going on in Forney, Crandall, Terrell, and Heartland...just to name a few. The roads there are trash and can't keep up with the growth though. It is still mainly country roads. There's also a lot of development in Ellis County as well. I've seen a lot of new subdivisions going up in Midlothian and Waxahachie. Particularly, in N. Grove Blvd and US 77 area in Waxahachie. I know Tom Thumb has started construction on two stores in Forney and Waxahachie. More options are needed as those areas continue to explode.

Based on the growth, I wouldn't be surprised if starts to resemble more of a suburban bedroom county. What Collin County has now is robust business/office parks that makes it more than just a bedroom community. For the most part, that's what I see Ellis and Kaufman Counites becoming, that's if they don't try to replicate what was done in Collin County. Traffic has increased significantly on 80 too as more and more people move to Forney. Many are leaving to get away from Mesquite, which is rapidly aging and declining.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:00 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Kaufman county is actually growing at an ever higher percentage than Collin (not as much growth in raw numbers as it is smaller to start with of course) and Rockwall is growing very fast as well.

Ellis is growing but not as rapidly as the suburbs to the North and East.

Even though Kaufman is growing rapidly, I don’t see it being similar to Collin. It lacks the job centers primarily and is not as accessible from the rest of the metroplex (my condolences to anyone who has to commute on 80 during rush hour).

ETA: Dallaz beat me to it and described it well.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I believe Kaufman County is the fastest growing county in America. A lot of development is going on in Forney, Crandall, Terrell, and Heartland...just to name a few. The roads there are trash and can't keep up with the growth though. It is still mainly country roads. There's also a lot of development in Ellis County as well. I've seen a lot of new subdivisions going up in Midlothian and Waxahachie. Particularly, in N. Grove Blvd and US 77 area in Waxahachie. I know Tom Thumb has started construction on two stores in Forney and Waxahachie. More options are needed as those areas continue to explode.

Based on the growth, I wouldn't be surprised if starts to resemble more of a suburban bedroom county. What Collin County has now is robust business/office parks that makes it more than just a bedroom community. For the most part, that's what I see Ellis and Kaufman Counites becoming, that's if they don't try to replicate what was done in Collin County. Traffic has increased significantly on 80 too as more and more people move to Forney. Many are leaving to get away from Mesquite, which is rapidly aging and declining.
So these areas seem to just be growing because they're cheap without nearby high paying jobs. I guess this means in the long term they'll age just about as well as Mesquite did. Still interesting to see sprawl finally branching out in different directions on the map, though. Midlothian is interesting though, since it's more expensive than other areas in this category, I'll be watching to see what happens there long term.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:46 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
So these areas seem to just be growing because they're cheap without nearby high paying jobs. I guess this means in the long term they'll age just about as well as Mesquite did. Still interesting to see sprawl finally branching out in different directions on the map, though. Midlothian is interesting though, since it's more expensive than other areas in this category, I'll be watching to see what happens there long term.
Pretty much! That's my exact sentiment. You can include Garland in there as well. They were mostly blue collar suburbs and never attracted major companies to keep them economically healthy for the long term. Sprawl is often cheaply built and costs more to maintain as it ages. Suburban cities will never have the money to completely maintain it. Then people move to the next suburban boomtown and the process repeats itself. Mesquite was the location of the first enclosed mall in Southwest - Big Town Mall, but that whole area looks old and worn out to me now. There's a warehouse there now where the mall use to be. There are still developable areas in Mesquite and a new upscale subdivision is being built where the old Lucas Farm use to be. That may help, but a good chunk of Mesquite is still considered to be not as desirable as it use to be. I'd say older suburbs like Richardson and Coppell have aged better due to corporate relocations and higher income earners.

Last edited by Dallaz; 07-12-2023 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-12-2023, 10:49 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,081,251 times
I think the northern sprawl has come to an end. It will grow but only by becoming more dense. The infrastructure and business environment simply isn't there to support continued expansion. History isn't going to repeat itself like people think. I think if you want to know how one of these fringe areas will end up, look at the types of housing being built and the neighborhoods and businesses going in. Looking east, it's not a pretty picture. I'm not so sure about south of Dallas, but it does seem like a step up from the eastern areas, however marginal.

Old 07-13-2023, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I think the northern sprawl has come to an end. It will grow but only by becoming more dense. The infrastructure and business environment simply isn't there to support continued expansion. History isn't going to repeat itself like people think. I think if you want to know how one of these fringe areas will end up, look at the types of housing being built and the neighborhoods and businesses going in. Looking east, it's not a pretty picture. I'm not so sure about south of Dallas, but it does seem like a step up from the eastern areas, however marginal.
How come you think the southern areas have better chances than the east?

Old 07-13-2023, 05:49 AM

674 posts, read 333,485 times
What about the long term outlook for Oak Cliff? Not gentrified Oak Cliff but the area between 67 and 35 full of gorgeous 50s ranch houses. Every time I kick around the idea of moving to that area I'm put off by the lack of services. Problem is that the services won't come until they think that the population will sustain them. People have to be bold enough to invest.

Also I'd be concerned about my neighbors (who would be predominantly Black and Hispanic) seeing me (a white woman) as a harbinger of doom. I wouldn't blame them. The houses are gorgeous though if they're well-maintained.

Old 07-13-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
What about the long term outlook for Oak Cliff? Not gentrified Oak Cliff but the area between 67 and 35 full of gorgeous 50s ranch houses. Every time I kick around the idea of moving to that area I'm put off by the lack of services. Problem is that the services won't come until they think that the population will sustain them. People have to be bold enough to invest.

Also I'd be concerned about my neighbors (who would be predominantly Black and Hispanic) seeing me (a white woman) as a harbinger of doom. I wouldn't blame them. The houses are gorgeous though if they're well-maintained.
A lot of homeowners in Oak Cliff, especially the parts close to Kessler, might see their property values appreciate a lot by a decade or two if there is a demand for homes with more character and a more urban feel. Renters in the area and people for whom the property taxes are too high, however, will get the short stick. In many of those neighborhoods the only direction for their home prices is up, even though services will continue to be a challenge. It'd be interesting to see the extent of gentrification in Dallas in years to come. I wonder if it can get anything like it is in Austin.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:05 AM

674 posts, read 333,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
A lot of homeowners in Oak Cliff, especially the parts close to Kessler, might see their property values appreciate a lot by a decade or two if there is a demand for homes with more character and a more urban feel. Renters in the area and people for whom the property taxes are too high, however, will get the short stick. In many of those neighborhoods the only direction for their home prices is up, even though services will continue to be a challenge. It'd be interesting to see the extent of gentrification in Dallas in years to come. I wonder if it can get anything like it is in Austin.
Maybe. Dallas has release valves that Austin doesn't seem to have, i.e. the ability and desire to grow in all directions. Dallas will also build highways or at least allow them to be built. In Austin they throw fits.

If I were younger and more daring, I'd probably take the plunge and buy in south Oak Cliff. I think the area has tons of potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas