Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2023, 05:13 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Coming out to DFW this weekend and looking for a bit of insight. Ultimately, the goal of the trip is on Saturday going to see UCF (yes, we are gonna get killed, but I'm still excited about seeing everything, etc. with my dad on the trip) play Oklahoma up in Norman. But, because we fly into and out of DFW, we will have some time in the area both on the front and back end. Here's our rough plan:

Friday AM:
Once we get our rental car, going over toward Fort Worth, probably. I was last there in 2019 and enjoyed time in both Sundance Square and the Stockyards as well as briefly driving through the west side with the prestigious modern art museums. We won't have as much time on this trip, but it is possible I'd want to at least drive my dad through the Stockyards again or to see the Water Gardens which I really do think are very neat/unique. However, it's also possible depending on traffic and timing that we just see the areas in and out of campus (University Park Village, Bluebonnet Place, and W Magnolia Ave, as well as the campus/sports venues)-does anyone know, is TCU stadium generally gates open to take a peek in on non-gamedays, and I guess, same question later for North Texas in Denton?

Any food recommendations? In my research, actually a place that looks really quite appealing to me is almost a food truck looking thing on Magnolia Ave, called Cafecito serving up Breakfast Tacos and my favorite style of coffee, the Mexican Cafe de Olla (cinnamon enfused).

We will be continuing onto Arlington where I have a scheduled AT&T Stadium tour, and then from there pretty much working our way up to Norman/OKC, with perhaps a pit stop for lunch and/or to see the UNT stadium). I like trying different regional chains, and one I've never experienced is Braum's, so considering trying that too.
---
On the way back after the game Saturday, which is an early start, considering working our way back to potentially even catch part of the Sat PM Stars game, as I've heard that arena is one of the best/most unique in both NHL and NBA? Also considered exploring the Northern Dallas Burbs (checking out Downtown Frisco and the FC Dallas/FCS title venue, perhaps seeing Legacy West/Town Center in Plano, Mandalay Canal Walk at Las Colinas in Irving (and the very nearby XII league office to get a pic out front).

Same thing applies here regarding any recommendations, etc. welcome, but with a couple core guiding questions:
1) Regarding urbanism, walkable spots, nice parks, TOD, etc. in the Northern Dallas area, which would be most compelling and where is it the most active, best people watching, good places to eat, etc.? North Dallas burbs are a black hole as far as my experience with the metro as a whole, and I think maybe essential to getting a holistic picture.
2) I was last in Dallas in March 2019. At the time, honestly, our exploration was pretty downtown heavy, although we made it around to some other spots. Specifically, saw downtown very well, as well as Victory Park and Katy Trail, a bit of Uptown, Fair Park/Cotton Bowl, SMU Campus/Football Field, a bit of Highland Park, and North Park Center Mall. What would have changed most significantly, that it would be absolutely worth visiting on this trip due to the evolution, etc? I do see AT&T has a new (?) I think since 2019 corporate downtown campus area. Not sure how much that has evolved, I did see the historic HQ down there as well as the eyeball, Thanks-Giving Square, the flagship Neiman Marcus (not really much of a tourist site if I'm being honest), etc. etc.

If anything, most core CBDs in the US seem to have regressed a little to a pretty good bit since COVID-19 with Tampa perhaps being an exception, and I'm sort of guessing with how economy heavy Dallas is that might be the same, but I wasn't positive. Not trying to flame at all with that, just stating general experience and what I've heard/stats.

Also, I think it's like $20 to go up the Reunion Tower... worth it?

3) The Texas State Fair of course is on it's final weekend. I've been to the Florida State Fair and Strawberry Fest before... I'm guessing that TX State Fair might just be an even larger scale version of those? But wanted to hear out if it is particularly memorable. I do love the architecture of Fair Park, and wish there was more done to have it be actively used throughout the rest of the year.

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 10:53 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
Sounds like you have it covered. Don’t think Braums is worth trying. DFW has amazing Tex/Mex food. TX State Fair is great but if you have a limited time, don’t know if you want to use a day there. If you have never been to the top of Reunion, I think its worth it.

If you want to check out Northern burb village areas, I’d choose McKinney over Frisco. Downtown Grapevine is fun. Las Colinas is a nice walk around Mandalay Canal, if you’ve never been. If you want to go to downtown Dallas, the Farmers Market is a nice weekend stop.

White Rock lake has lovely walking.

Drive over the Margaret Hunt bridge and check out places in NOC (North Oak Cliff for shopping & dining). There’s also a walking path on the west side of the bridge.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:48 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Totally agree with skipping Braums. Yuck. If you want a good local burger, try Jakes instead. https://jakesburgersandbeer.com/

Reunion Tower is a Dallas landmark, and if you like aerial views, the $20 is worth it. (I'm not a fan of heights.)

Bishop Arts District in North Oak Cliff is fun to walk around. There are a lot of neat restaurants and shops there. https://www.bishopartsdistrict.com/

Downtown Grapevine is fun to walk and shop, too. https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/th...own-grapevine/

Old 10-16-2023, 12:17 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,050,385 times
Braums is a waste of time

Old 10-16-2023, 06:21 PM

6,804 posts, read 14,023,558 times
Baums is a waste of time. If you want to try a local chain I would suggest you go with Pappa's. They have a steak house, BBQ, Mexican and Seafood restaurants.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:23 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,401,147 times
Braum's cheap ice cream prices and small stores are great if you are a local. Their restaurant food is just so-so.

Old 10-18-2023, 12:45 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Sounds like the feedback on Braum's is more maybe to go there just for ice cream instead of the actual food. Makes sense, and appreciate the confirmation from multiple people! Appreciate the other suggestions across the board as well.

ChristieP: Definitely considering Reunion Tower then. I think some of this, if I'm being transparent, as far as our time in DFW, will have to do with how UCF-Oklahoma goes on Saturday lol. If it goes how I am anticipating, and we are down 38-17 late 3rd or end 3rd, then, yeah, we will probably be bound back from DFW by 1:30, and back in the Metroplex by 4, to potentially see the northern burbs or to go up Reunion Tower, etc. If UCF makes a game of it or by some miracle wins, then we may not have much remaining time in the Metroplex at all. However, that is where I appreciate the recommendation from you and other posters of Grapevine. I see you recommended Bishop Arts too, but the neat factor with Grapevine is coming back from DFW and staying near the airport, that is one of two communities (along with Denton, too), that we actually would pass directly through, and still be able to spend a bit of time with on the way out, if the game turns out great and we don't get out of Norman until 3ish.

WorldKlas: I appreciate the guidance! Any particular favorites for DFW based Tex-Mex? One thing I really appreciate in looking at menus and places around is the emphasis on things besides just tacos, and the emphasis on breakfast food (chilaquiles, huevos rancheros, etc.). Re: Texas State Fair, not so sure about that either, honestly. I mean, if I knew it was going to be something way different from any fair in terms of scale, buskers, etc., maybe. But, working against, it, is the fact that I already got to see the exterior of the Cotton Bowl, the Fair Park and structures, etc. on my last visit (even if during the fair it does look way, way different). Good to hear the confirmation on Reunion. Honestly, that may be a move along with AT&T Discovery District if we go downtown, and possibly skip the hockey game unless we could just find a really cheap last minute ticket. Some of this is speculative anyways, because I could see us leaving Norman anytime between 1:15 and 3:15.

Appreciate the recommendation on McKinney and I've seen others echo your sentiments, too. The only thing *maybe* working against McKinney is it being a little further out east/away from the route. That, and I guess the question, I'm not so much interested in Downtown Frisco (though I'd probably see it anyways, when there), and moreso interested in the sights around it (rumored/confirmed future Universal Studios Texas spot in 2026, MLS venue, National Videogame Museum for a souvenir for the BBBS kiddo I mentor, etc.). Not saying I don't take into account McKinney having more urban charm too, just trying to weigh out where we most want to prioritize our time.

Mandalay Canal is close to our hotel for both Thursday and Saturday nights, so I will strongly consider that. I appreciate all your other insights, and anticipate the skyline would look very pretty lit up at night from the other side of the Margaret Hunt bridge (I believe that's where a lot of the Dallas postcard shots come from?) Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions. While I won't have much time in the area, here's hoping for safe travels, and that regardless, at least a little bit on Friday morning and Saturday evening that I get some time to expand my overall knowledge and experience with DFW.

Old 10-18-2023, 02:15 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
If you are going to be in the Las Colinas area, I highly suggest Via Real, on MacArthur in Irving which is a local favorite Latin & Tex/Mex restaurant. It is an upscale place, and reservations are a good idea.

But everywhere in strip centers are Tex/mex hole in the wall restaurants, most really good. When I first came to the DFW area in 1978, the original El Fenix and then a little later Gloria’s restaurants were charming, local and wonderful. Now they are local chains and food is good but the locations have lost the charm of their original places. Still, if you want to try a local chain rooted in downtown Dallas, Gloria’s is good with many locations. The original restaurant no longer exists.

DFW has a strong Indian/Asian demographic and there are great Indian restaurants, too.

Old 10-18-2023, 02:48 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,401,147 times
If I were you, I'd skip downtown McKinney and go to Legacy West (Windrose Ave in Plano). On a weekend evening it will sort of feel like a big city street - it has buskers, lots of people watching, fancy sports cars, and the food along the street is ok if not a bit chainy & expensive, and lots of parking so it's easy to get in and get out when you are done. Looks like a Duran Duran tribute band is playing in Legacy Hall in the evening, but that requires tickets.

Downtown McKinney has some good stuff, but honestly Denison has a better 'real/historic' downtown than any of the suburbs of DFW. Dt McKinney has some cute old houses and some good non-chain places to eat, also a bit expensive.

Old 10-18-2023, 03:17 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
I agree on Via Real. Great food in a classy atmosphere.

Gloria's is more Salvadoran than Tex-Mex. It's good food, just know up front that it is not Tex-Mex. They have a very good happy hour.

Legacy West = shiny and new, lots of chain restaurants
Downtown McKinney = Unique local restaurants, shopping and wineries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas