Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2023, 12:48 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times

Advertisements

Have a 4-year old that turned 4 after September 1st 2023. So will be 5 years old after Sept 1st 2024.

I don't think the zoned Public School will be an option.

So will likely need to do private or something else like charter or magnet or lottery.

What are the things I need to do and when do I need to do them in order to get kid into a school after daycare is over? We are a non-religious household so looking for something preferably without a hardcore religious bent.

Live in 75244 near Midway/635.

Also will need after-school care since both parents work, any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 05:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Have a 4-year old that turned 4 after September 1st 2023. So will be 5 years old after Sept 1st 2024.

I don't think the zoned Public School will be an option.

So will likely need to do private or something else like charter or magnet or lottery.

What are the things I need to do and when do I need to do them in order to get kid into a school after daycare is over? We are a non-religious household so looking for something preferably without a hardcore religious bent.

Live in 75244 near Midway/635.

Also will need after-school care since both parents work, any recommendations?
I’m a little confused by your timeline- are you looking for PK4 for 2024-25 or Kindergarten for 2025-26?

You do have some options within DISD - Prestonwood Montessori is a DISD choice school located near you (Forest & Tollroad area). Not sure which elementary you’re zoned for, but you could apply to transfer into DeGoyler which is great & close by (Northaven & Marsh area). I know they took kindergarten transfers this year. Dealey is the DISD magnet Montessori nearby (Royal & Hillcrest area) - it is quite difficult to gain admissions.

Uplift Northern Hills is an excellent though almost impossible to get into lottery-based charter in Irving not far from you. I’m not aware of any other good charters nearby but they could be out there.

Private school admissions typically start one year before you would start, so right now prospective families are touring schools to submit applications by January for the 2024-25 school year. Most privates take a large number of new students in both PK4 and Kinder years. There are tons of posts on City Data about about the north Dallas private schools so I would poke around the site and make a list of schools’ websites to check out.

Some schools offer after-school care until 6pm or so; others don’t. It a question to put on your list when you’re checking out the public and private options.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:58 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
You're a few months late starting the process although you can catch up if you hurry. During Thanksgiving break make a list of schools you're interested in and make tour appointments the Monday after Thanksgiving. You probably won't make the early decisions deadline but you can make the regular decision deadlines if you hurry and are efficient. Since you're behind the curve, I would apply to as many schools as possible.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:57 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Uplift Northern Hills is an excellent though almost impossible to get into lottery-based charter in Irving not far from you. I’m not aware of any other good charters nearby but they could be out there.
I think TurtleCreek means Uplift North Hills Prep, just in case you get to Googling and can't find it. It is indeed a good school, but it is hard to get into. Many, many years ago when I worked for a different test prep company in DFW, we worked with North Hills Prep. I always had a very good impression of both the students and the staff.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:18 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
You probably won't make the early decisions deadline but you can make the regular decision deadlines if you hurry and are efficient.
There are no “early” and “regular” deadlines for Dallas privates; maybe FW is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I think TurtleCreek means Uplift North Hills Prep, just in case you get to Googling and can't find it. It is indeed a good school, but it is hard to get into. Many, many years ago when I worked for a different test prep company in DFW, we worked with North Hills Prep. I always had a very good impression of both the students and the staff.
Yes. Sorry & thank you for the correction! I briefly lived in a duplex in Dallas’ Northern Hills neighborhood and must have filed the school name in my brain as the same thing

Old 11-18-2023, 09:00 AM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I’m a little confused by your timeline- are you looking for PK4 for 2024-25 or Kindergarten for 2025-26?

You do have some options within DISD - Prestonwood Montessori is a DISD choice school located near you (Forest & Tollroad area). Not sure which elementary you’re zoned for, but you could apply to transfer into DeGoyler which is great & close by (Northaven & Marsh area). I know they took kindergarten transfers this year. Dealey is the DISD magnet Montessori nearby (Royal & Hillcrest area) - it is quite difficult to gain admissions.

Private school admissions typically start one year before you would start, so right now prospective families are touring schools to submit applications by January for the 2024-25 school year. Most privates take a large number of new students in both PK4 and Kinder years. There are tons of posts on City Data about about the north Dallas private schools so I would poke around the site and make a list of schools’ websites to check out.

Some schools offer after-school care until 6pm or so; others don’t. It a question to put on your list when you’re checking out the public and private options.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Sorry for confusion, to clarify, I meant Kindergarten 2025-2026 school year. (Right? Because she turns 5 after Sept 1 2024. Still get confused about it.)

So it sounds like next ~Summer/Fall I need to start touring and considering schools and have applications in before January 2025, is that right?

Are there any private/charter schools you recommend avoiding, or that you know are super religious? The public school we are zoned to is Tom Gooch. Not sure if that is a good option or not.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:49 AM

303 posts, read 364,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
My advice, coming from someone who sent two children through top privates and also served as chair of the board of a top private school.

Step one, start saving money because it's going to be expensive if you go the North Dallas private school route.

Step Two, do not discount any of the Episcopal private schools in North Dallas like Parish and Good Shepard.. There is no "hardcore religious bent" there, and you'll do yourself a disservice to count those out. Trust me on this. Others to consider (outside of what was mentioned previously) would be Lamplighter and Alcuin.

Step three. Start the process to "play the game" - go visit the schools, meet the administration, network with other parents, all of it. Read through the extensive threads here in this forum on private school admissions. The Dallas private school community is not for the faint of heart. It will be a maddening, subjective, expensive, and high pressure environment.

Good luck.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:27 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Keep in mind that tuition isn't the entire cost. There may be uniforms, spirit wear, activity fees, donations to the Room Parent fund, fundraising drives, etc. Those can really add up.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:37 AM

303 posts, read 364,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Keep in mind that tuition isn't the entire cost. There may be uniforms, spirit wear, activity fees, donations to the Room Parent fund, fundraising drives, etc. Those can really add up.
The annual fund
The annual gala
Your bid on the hunting trip to south america
The endowment
A classroom named after your family
The capital campaign for a new STEM robotics building
The middle school graduation celebration run by the parents which will exceed 50K
The other capital campaign for a new kinder facility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas