Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 01:20 PM

8,126 posts, read 3,669,879 times

Advertisements

I paid about $6600 for 12 steel piers (including engineering report, a slab leak test after the repair, and the city permit). That was just before the pandemic. The whole front of the house was lifted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 08:20 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post

That is possible movement but those same issues do have other causes as well such as framing movements due to other causes, expansion and contraction of brick, and others. If this is all you see and it was movement then the movement was small and localized and may not happen again.

What I would recommend is before you bring in an Engineer you contact a reputable foundation repair company to have them take a look/inspect and get their opinion. If this was all the movement signs they find as well I would expect them to not recommend piering/foundation repairs of any type and instead to repair the signs and monitor for any additional signs occurring. An advantage of this approach is when they are there and determine no work is needed they can also give you a general idea of current costs for piers, etc., so you could have your question answered.

All foundations move here but only those that move enough to be of concern display the various signs of movement. Those other much lesser movements are not visible are obviously not a concern.

If you have more questions please do ask here and let us know how you proceed and what was found.

Old 02-02-2024, 09:54 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,051,062 times
Great thanks, will go that route

Old 02-03-2024, 03:13 AM

7,506 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Agree that the Engineer will know the type of repairs he/she can sign off on (and you want a before and after and you want your house both fixed and sellable).

Old 02-04-2024, 04:28 PM

213 posts, read 239,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I paid about $6600 for 12 steel piers (including engineering report, a slab leak test after the repair, and the city permit). That was just before the pandemic. The whole front of the house was lifted
Who did you use for each process? You can DM me. I am looking for a structural engineer and then a foundation repair company

Old 02-04-2024, 04:30 PM

213 posts, read 239,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
That is possible movement but those same issues do have other causes as well such as framing movements due to other causes, expansion and contraction of brick, and others. If this is all you see and it was movement then the movement was small and localized and may not happen again.

What I would recommend is before you bring in an Engineer you contact a reputable foundation repair company to have them take a look/inspect and get their opinion. If this was all the movement signs they find as well I would expect them to not recommend piering/foundation repairs of any type and instead to repair the signs and monitor for any additional signs occurring. An advantage of this approach is when they are there and determine no work is needed they can also give you a general idea of current costs for piers, etc., so you could have your question answered.

All foundations move here but only those that move enough to be of concern display the various signs of movement. Those other much lesser movements are not visible are obviously not a concern.

If you have more questions please do ask here and let us know how you proceed and what was found.
Getting a foundation company have a look first before structural engineer is the right course of action? What if foundation company exaggerate the repair to make money?

Old 02-04-2024, 06:29 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkett View Post
Getting a foundation company have a look first before structural engineer is the right course of action? What if foundation company exaggerate the repair to make money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post

If that occurs then they have not contacted a "reputable foundation repair company".

Old 02-12-2024, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,135 times
I recommend getting multiple opinions. Have heard of people with suspected foundation issues get quoted $20K repairs only to get another opinion and discover it's a plumbing issue, not a foundation issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: