Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best living arrangement for 75+ India Senior Parents (no family in India)
Live with one of the children in US (permanent setup) 2 18.18%
Live with one of the children in Canada (permanent setup) 2 18.18%
Divide time between children's families (travel required, change in setup every 4-5 months) 4 36.36%
Live in US senior care center (very expensive, negative psych, monthly visit from family) 0 0%
Live in India senior care center (inexpensive, negative psych, yearly visit from family) 3 27.27%
Live alone in India with 24/7 caregiver, cook (still less expensive, independent lifestyle, yearly visit from family) 4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 3,177 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am in Dallas. My mom who is above 75, moved-in with us last year from India. None of the siblings live in India therefore we had to move her to Dallas. Having lived as a dependent housewife all life, her life revolved around cooking, social and managing day to day stuff at home but physically she is weak to do cooking and much leg work. Without a real hobby, she now feels she has nothing to do all day - no social life, and she is not too much into religion. Our kids are all gone to college and there is nothing to do all day as both of us work. What can I do?
Is there any independent or assisted senior retirement place, exclusive to Indian community (so it can have religious activities, Indian food, like-minded people), in Dallas, Austin, or in Houston ? How much would it cost? Florida is only my 2nd option.

Thanks

Last edited by dmomshanti; 01-28-2024 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 12:33 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,485,389 times
Depending on where you live there may be a ”senior center” that has activities. Call 311 to ask about the possibilities.
Also some chance you can let her participate in some of the other cities senior activities, such as Farmers Branch or Richardson or maybe some other city close to you. These could involve lunch or lunch and games. Could she join a service club like Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, etc? Could she volunteer somewhere?

Old 01-29-2024, 12:56 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Due to the anti-discrimination laws in the USA, it would not be legal for an assisted living facility to cater to one ethnicity. The facilities have to accept people of all ethnicities, religions, etc. If you look around, you may find one that has activities which would appeal more to people of a certain ethnicity.

Old 01-29-2024, 02:00 PM

Agreed, I don’t really care if it is not an exclusive place. Do you know of such places in Dallas or Houston where there are lot of such activities that Indian community elders would enjoy?

Old 01-29-2024, 02:11 PM

TeamLynn,
My mom does not speak English as such and most of these activities won’t be enjoyable without proper communication skills and physical strength to be active on feet more than 1 hour. She has low BP issue that causes episodes of passing out. That’s why I was looking for place where more people who speak Indian languages are around her, and assisted living option so nurse can keep an eye on her, give meds, etc

Old 01-29-2024, 02:46 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
You may want to inquire within your circle and church how people deal with elderly in this particular situation. Maybe you and several others can share hosting activities and hiring staff to keep elderly parents active during your working days. Have you enrolled your mother in English classes?
Are you looking for an assisted living facility as in her living there full time? There are plenty in the DFW area. If so - have you discussed this with her and her physician and the other family members? Costs vary depending on facility, services offered.
Are you looking for a community center? Again Google and the Indian community will be your best sources.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:06 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
The Indian community is huge in the Irving / Las Colinas / Coppell areas. You should do some research in those areas.

I would guess there are quite a few Indian elderly and activities in these areas that would be right for your mom.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:52 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
It could be detrimental for your Mom to stay in US due to her age.
The language barrier, lack of social activities, chatting and visiting with the neighbors, different taste of food - even if it is the same food.

I think she could be much better off in India, where your money could secure a caregiver, a cook and the gardener maybe?

You could have once weekly family zoom, one child on Sunday, another - some other day.
Then each of you could visit once a year or more if you can?

Not an ideal solution, but she would be happier there? You could upgrade her living arrangements there and if it is possible to move her closer to the airport - for the ease of travel for you?

It depends how drastically different her new place in India would be compare to the old one.
She could be better off in her old neighborhood due to her social connections?

The second option: keep her with you here or in Canada and hire an Indian companion to come daily while you at work? And pray she likes the companion..

Old 01-29-2024, 08:49 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,082,086 times
Assisted living facilities are pretty miserable for the money you pay. I would definitely advise hiring an in-home caregiver whether in India or maybe part-time with family in the US or Canada. With the huge Indian population, I would imagine you could find someone who speaks the same language.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:58 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,212,124 times
I've looked in case my mother-in-law needs it and I haven't found an assisted living place in DFW that would meet her needs, ie vegetarian Indian food of the type she eats and an Indian community. Right now she can cook for herself and do light exercise and we plan to hire a caregiver if she gets to the point where she can't physically take care of herself. I don't what we'll do if she develops dementia though. She's bored but she always turns us down when we offer to take her places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas