Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2024, 07:48 PM

578 posts, read 300,440 times

Advertisements

Had both these exemptions in place since qualified for them but wife died last year . No will as we owned house and financial assets jointly other than Ira. Seems to be why I was requested to re file. Following affifidavit recorded showing no other heirs, ownership updated to my name only.

I did not save a copy of affidavit as I found it by searching Google last year, how ever it n longer is accessible that way. Anyone been thru this? What is quickest way to get the filed copy as deadline to re die is 30,days.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 08:05 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Had both these exemptions in place since qualified for them but wife died last year . No will as we owned house and financial assets jointly other than Ira. Seems to be why I was requested to re file. Following affifidavit recorded showing no other heirs, ownership updated to my name only.

I did not save a copy of affidavit as I found it by searching Google last year, how ever it n longer is accessible that way. Anyone been thru this? What is quickest way to get the filed copy as deadline to re die is 30,days.

Thanks in advance.

What county are you located in? If you are looking for an affidavit you can try the County Clerk online search function. For example in Collin County go to Collin County Clerk WEB site here https://www.collincountytx.gov/County-Clerk . On the left select "Deed Search". Yes it sounds strange but is used for a lot of County records including affidavits. Search your name. Use as little search information as possible as the more you use the more likely it is they pass it up.

What I would be interested in is if you can come back and answer a question after you are approved. Essentially my question is did they carry over the house value from when your Wife filed for the over 65 or did they recalculate based on when you filed the new over 65 exemption in your name? I have a suspicion of the answer and it would not surprise me too. Today's values are higher compared to yesteryears values.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:46 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,743,369 times
It's my understanding that they are requesting it every 20 years. Perhaps to recapture taxes lost when people are still claiming one they aren't eligible for.

Old 03-05-2024, 06:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Have you stopped by the tax assessor's office?

Old 03-05-2024, 08:07 AM

95 posts, read 69,562 times
A new Texas law requires counties to verify their exemptions once every 5 years. you just may be on the clock for that verification. I know Tarrant county has started doing that; here is the info from collin county where I live (its on the main page):

Homestead Exemption Audit- Senate Bill (SB) 1801
During the 88th regular session, the Texas legislature passed Senate Bill (SB) 1801, effective September 1, 2023, which requires the Collin Central Appraisal District develop a program for periodic review of each residence homestead granted under Texas Property Tax Code Section 11.13. The bill requires the Chief Appraiser verify each residence homestead at least every 5-years to confirm the recipient of the exemptions still qualify.

Texas Property Tax Code, Section 11.43(c): The chief appraiser may require a person allowed one of the exemptions in a prior year to file a new application to confirm his current qualification for the exemption by delivering a written notice that a new application is required, accompanied by an appropriate application form, to the person previously allowed the exemption.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:09 AM

as escanlan stated. you can serach for recorded deeds/affidavits online:

https://denton.tx.publicsearch.us/
https://collin.tx.publicsearch.us/
https://dallas.tx.publicsearch.us/
https://tarrant.tx.publicsearch.us/
https://grayson.tx.publicsearch.us/

Old 03-05-2024, 09:15 AM

I am in Collin county and called the Collin cad number on the letter. They had already changed the owner of my house to just me not wife and I. I dropped a jr on the end.of the name I no longer use since my dad died. The clerk I spoke to said all I needed to provide was copy of my drivers license showing I’m over 65 and completed and signed the application stating it’s my primary household and I don’t rent out a port of the house etc. just the standard application for those exemptions.

I think the name change may have triggered it they might speculate a chid owned it now.

The affidavit we filed last July shows I own 100% of the property so no affidavit required as they updated owner name when it was recorded.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:34 AM

sounds easy enough! glad you figured it out.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:35 AM

It was simple once I talked to a lady to simplify it down to what was needed in my case along with death of my wife.

Last edited by Johnhw222; 03-05-2024 at 11:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas