Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,622 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I just took a job in Uptown (in between Crescent Court and AA center - Victory Park?) and was interested in some feedback on the best areas of town to live for someone in my situation.

A little background: I really dislike traffic and would ideally like a short commute (< 15 minutes) to work. I only need a decent one bed/one bath and can spend up to $800/month in rent. I've found several places that fit my criteria in Oaklawn, Uptown, Cityplace, Lower Greenville and the Lakewood area. Oaklawn west of the tollway also looked attractive from a price perspective but seems a little shadier judging from Google street view. I'd also be willing to live in the Village/Walnut Hill area or somewhere at 635 and 75 for the right place and price.

I'm pretty familiar with Dallas and where to find restaurants, nightlife, etc. I'm more interested in finding a safe area free from car break-ins or burglaries. The DPD online crime map has helped give me some inital impressions, but I'd love to hear your own thoughts on this.

Are there any potential areas I've missed? I want to get as large a place as I can but still be close to work and not worry about break-ins or vandalism. I've lived in Austin for the last 3 years and had my car broken into twice, so that might help explain some of my focus.

Also any opinions on best and worst freeways at rush hours (635, 75, Tollway)? I've read a couple other threads on this but found a lot of people seemed to disagree. Any input you could offer would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,475 times
The areas that you listed are all good ones, except for Walnut Hill area, Cityplace and 635/75.

There is crime throughout Dalllas and you just have to deal with it. If you want a crime free zone you will have to move out 40+ miles away.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:04 PM

247 posts, read 737,644 times
I lived in Uptown and Lower Greenville and never personally had a problem with crime in either area. However, both have had incidences of crime like any major city. I loved living off Lower Greenville it is fun, friendly and ecclectic. (think Travis Heights and sixth street) The residents are educated and have money but tend to be more laid back and neighborly. With Lower Greenville the closer you get to Hall and Henderson the more crime you'll probably experience. The homes in the neighborhood have been largely rennovated but the apartments tend to be older and somewhat run down. With the exception of one apartment complex near Homer a duplex is the way to go for a renter in the Lower Greenville area. Uptown is more trendy/hip and full of pretty people with designer clothes. It will be your shortest commute with the largest selection of new apartments to choose from. They tend to be pretty pricey though, I paid 1000.00 for a small one bedroom 8 years ago. The Village apartments are older but well maintained and full of college students from SMU and singles. Lakewood is alot like Lower Greenville in feel but more residential. The apartments in Lakewood are mostly along Gaston Ave. and although they are 60's era a lot of them have been rennovated and are pretty cool. The problem is that they border a high crime area. The Village and Lakewood will be your longest commute. Probably 20 to 25 minutes in traffic. City Place has a short commute and some pockets of nice, newer apartments but also borders a high crime area and they just recently closed the Lowes theater. Oaklawn is a gay enclave and is also a bad area for crime but not a bad commute. Good Luck.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 AM

38 posts, read 128,952 times
i would recommend uptown. somewhere near the mckinney avenue trolley (mata.org) and you may not even have to drive to work! also one of the most lively/pedestrian areas of dallas.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
There are places to live in Victory Park - have you considered them? It seems safe to me when I've walked around at night with my kids.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,622 times
Thanks for all your help. I've looked in Victory Park but found it to be slightly out of my price range - after reading all this, I'm going to focus on Uptown, the Village and some of the areas around Greenville/Lakewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas