Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:46 AM

44 posts, read 170,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
I am sorry you had bad experience. There are many, many owners out there who don't know what they're doing and it leads to situations like this. I try very hard to keep my dogs from scaring anyone.

Some people do overreact, though. Some people do exactly the wrong thing when challenged by a dog. Some people think you can do whatever you want to a dog and it's the dog's fault when he responds. Dogs can be trained and socialized, but they can't be made to like everybody.

IF my dogs attack, it won't be unprovoked, and you can bet that if anyone shot them, their families would have to be the ones suing.

By the way, the proper way to separate fighting dogs is to pull the back legs out of both dogs, at the same time, and 'drag' them, wheelbarrow like, in a circular motion until they can be safely separated (cages, rooms, cars, etc). Jumping into the melee is the best way to get seriously injured. If I were by myself with my child, we'd just get out of the way (as much as I love my dogs, I won't be able to stop a dog fight by myself - pick your battles kinda thing).
Why don't you just tie a string to a loaded shotgun and drag it around the neighborhood? Then tell everybody not to go out of their house without a bullet proof vest on because your pet shotgun might hit a bump and go off.

I don't want to worry about dogs liking me. I don't WANT to know how to break up a dog fight. That would be good knowledge for survival if I live in Wild Killer Dog country, but I don't, and I want it to stay that way. Just say no to pittbulls!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:04 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,239 times
Hey Philip, What a great idea! Let's take an old shopping center parking lot, gate it off - sort of like the dog park. Then we open it up to tail-gaters on a binge. We can set up roads and put fake cop cars with manikins dressed in cop uniforms as if writing a ticket on the side of the road. Let the DUIers drive around with their pit bulls running up and down the roads. And then we can sell tickets to watch! I'll be standing nearby with my nail gun just in case any pit bulls jump the fence. Cool!

Old 09-03-2008, 03:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
All dogs have some degree of prey drive. I do not believe Pit Bull Terriers as a breed are more dangerous than other breeds. The problem is people. Somewhere in the last 5-10 years it became fashionable among the ghetto and ghetto wannabe crowd to have a pit. You get extra thug points if your pit is mean or fights. So now you have a whole mess of these dogs owned by irresponsible, uneducated people trying to gain street cred. These dogs are often neglected, abused, and ignored. In the hysteria that has become BSL anything with "bull" in the name is being banned.

Pit Bull Terriers should not be banned, stupid people should be banned from owning them.
I'm a HUGE dog lover and have had dogs my entire life. Rescued dogs, kept them till owners found, etc. or found them a good home if no owner showed up. Even large dogs have been kept in my backyard. But NOT a Pit Bull, American Stafford, etc. Heck, I even owned an 80 lb Dalmatian that LOVED kids. Had him before we had kids and he would have died to protect any kid. But there ARE breeds AND dog owners that just don't have a lick of sense to them.

Mary's point is one that we see all too often. Some wanna be thug that weighs all of 100 lbs dripping wet walking down the street being dragged by a 150 lb Pit Bull on a chain. That wanna be "thug" could no more stop that dog if it decided to attack or get lose if they wanted to.

Some of the most IRRESPONSIBLE pet owners are PIT OWNERS! I'll never forget the day in the vets office on a Saturday when we first got our 3 year old little fur baby. My kids were with me and my daughter wanted to hold "HER" new puppy. When I walked into that full waiting room w/ standing room only and saw a LOOSE pit bull I told her "NO!". This MORON of a dog owner was letting his PIT BULL walk around LOSE and go up to EVERYONE and their dogs and cats. The staff was pretty busy and I don't think really noticed or else they would have said something. The lowlife of owner was laughing everytime another dog owner got a little anxious when the Pit looked their way. I was about at the end of my rope when the IDIOT got called back. Otherwise I would have given our little puppy to my daughter and told them to go outside and then would have told the idiot off. When they did go back there was a HUGE sigh of relief that went thru the room. THIS is the problem. There are TOO MANY people that own Pits that are STUPID and IGNORANT! They give EVERYONE a bad name. These are the people that the owners of the "good" pits should be mad at.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 PM

430 posts, read 1,359,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Let's get this thread cranked up to most stupid thread on City Data.

Does anybody know of any Drunk Driving Friendly places in the DFW Metroplex/Arlington area?

I like to get a buzz on and drive around in my pick up truck with my Pit Bull in the back. The dog is friendly and I am a safe drunk driver, so it is all cool. We usually slow down for the school zones, and rarely run into cop cars working on the shoulder.

I would not hurt anyone, and I keep my dog in a good mood by giving him shotgun hits from my reefer. Why do people hate us so?
How dare you give your dog alcohol!!! It will make him drunk and he won't be able to defend himself against all those people who insult him with their body language!!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:21 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Let's get this thread cranked up to most stupid thread on City Data.

Does anybody know of any Drunk Driving Friendly places in the DFW Metroplex/Arlington area?

I like to get a buzz on and drive around in my pick up truck with my Pit Bull in the back. The dog is friendly and I am a safe drunk driver, so it is all cool. We usually slow down for the school zones, and rarely run into cop cars working on the shoulder.

I would not hurt anyone, and I keep my dog in a good mood by giving him shotgun hits from my reefer. Why do people hate us so?
Best post. Ever.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:55 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Serious question - how do you know you didn't provoke him?

Dogs have a completely different language than humans. Granted, some dogs have been so poorly handled that you can't diffuse a situation, but most people do the wrong thing when confronted by a strange dog.
Serious question my *ss. You know what? I could care less if your dog 'misinterprets my body language'. If it comes on my property and/or threatens me, it's dead. And I am the one that gets the privilege of interpreting body language, not the dog.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:06 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Quote:
Serious question - how do you know you didn't provoke him?
Stupidest question ever. Did you read the post? he stated he was in his garage and the dog came in. sorry but ALL loose dogs no matter the breed can take a simple "GET OUT" as a threat. and yes the little Chihuahua does bite more people...but even a child can punt kick it away and that bite will most likely be a bruise..NOT A MAULING.

I ask Laura...have you EVER been on your own property when a unknown large dog aproaches you growling? Well I have and I've been around dogs my entire life and it was one of the scariest things to see.
I surely didn't go "oh Sweet baby did my 3 year old sledding provoke you?" NO I slowly grabed a tree branch and slowly walked backward with my kid to the house...and that thing charged us, teeth bared and snapping etc... THIS dog... was a "friendly, big baby, who's bark sounds mean, but WOULD never ever hurt a fly etc..." according to it's owner. Sweetest dog ever! Well 2 days later it did the smae thing to my mother-in-law, luckly it was winter and she had on boots and parka, so no serious injury.

All dogs have it in them to turn and bite, i really hope your "loveable sweetest baby" pit bull doesn't decide one day that the garbage you are taking is his.... you'll loose the fight.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
some dogs are bred to bring out savagery and the killing stroke--pit bulls are bred for this--whether someone plans to fight the dog or not--
consider which is stronger---generations that groomed a dog to be a killing machine or two years living with someone who thinks he is a dog whisperer...

I know I don't like them, don't want to be around them, don't care if they are outlawed in the entire USA--they are genetically and tempramentally designed to be a violent attack dog...there might be some specific dogs that go against type==you have that in any breed but basically they are dangerous...
it is like saying it is ok for someone to play with a loaded gun because the safety is on...or it is ok to leave a loaded gun in plain sight in your home or car with minimal supervision...because the gun does not have the intent to hurt someone...
believe me pit bulls (and almost ANY dog in the right set of circumstances) can be very, very dangerous...
check out the list of news stories about Pit Bulls on the Wiki page--while some of them are positive the majority are decidedly not
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull#cite_note-71

Last edited by loves2read; 09-04-2008 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,962 times
Mesquite Calls For City Authority Over Pit Bull Owners - News - MSNBC.com (broken link)

Old 09-04-2008, 01:07 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
Mesquite Calls For City Authority Over Pit Bull Owners - News - MSNBC.com (broken link)
A client of mine is also a Mesquite Police Officer. I shared with him my story regarding the pitbull garage visit. He told me that in Mesquite, pitbulls must be keep in a fenced area that incudes a roof to prevent the dog from climbing over the fence. He said he has been involved in cases where a dog climbed over an 8' wood fence. That news story above calls for micro-chipping pitbulls. That might identify the owner but it won't prevent an attack.

At my vet's office, they have a sign requiring all animals either be in a crate or on a leash. They have loaner slip-over leashes hanging right there at the door. If I came into that waiting room and there was a dumba** like that allowing his dog to roam free, I would have found and grabbed one of the vet interns and confronted the creep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas