Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:27 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
South Texas roaches are bigger than North Texas roaches.
HEHEHEHEE!!! Too good.

I think that is one race I'd be happy to concede

Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 PM

154 posts, read 432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!! No kidding. It was NOT funny at the time and it was not a wee little baby one either. I swear that thing could have plugged the bathtub drain. Do not recall how I ended up finally getting my hair rinsed out. Want to say this was our first night in the place too and for the rest of the time I was VERY tempted to pack a bag and shower at the ski resort when I was done for the day.

And NO this was NOT a cheap, nasty, dirty place either. The Hotel Colorado way up IN the mountains in Glenwood Springs. There ARE roaches IN Colorado contrary to some peoples opinion And my experience was IN the winter w/ snow on the ground (hence the reason we were there for a ski trip). Having grown up going to Colorado every year in winter and summer as a kid and staying out in areas away from the big cities (Colorado Springs was NOT a "big city" then) there are PLENTY of creepy crawlies in Colorado as well just of a different variety. But hey, if anyone wants to buy some land up in Colorado away from the rat race....... I've got some
That big fat cockroach probably jumped into your bag when you left Texas...ha,ha!! I have never seen or heard of Texas size roaches here in Colorado!!! Maybe one of your nightmares hunting you from back Texas!!! ha,ha!! Stay away from Colorado - those roaches here really like to bite those big headed tourists from Texas - ...hey- they are telling you to stay away!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:21 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie123 View Post
That big fat cockroach probably jumped into your bag when you left Texas...ha,ha!! I have never seen or heard of Texas size roaches here in Colorado!!! Maybe one of your nightmares hunting you from back Texas!!! ha,ha!! Stay away from Colorado - those roaches here really like to bite those big headed tourists from Texas - ...hey- they are telling you to stay away!!!
THEY BITE??????

Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
South Texas roaches are bigger than North Texas roaches.
LOL I totally believe that.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:58 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie123 View Post
Actually, I thought it bizarre too to have such a large roach in CO, but I certainly wasn't sure. Mom, since you travel constantly, could it have possibly been when you visited the Keys or some undesirable climate since roaches thrive in climates such as what one will find there and unfortunately, here is Texas too.

Here is a post from someone who has lived in CO for years.

I have been in Colorado since 1971 and have never seen roaches or heard of them. We do have ants, some harmless beetles, and mosquitos in wet areas but compared to the midwest and other areas, "no" bugs. The ground freezes too hard in the winter for that sort of thing to survive.

My great-nephew lived there for two years and never saw a roach.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 06-19-2008 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,463 times
Maybe it was a beetle? Or a ghost roach....

Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Actually, I thought it bizarre too to have such a large roach in CO, but I certainly wasn't sure. Mom, since you travel constantly, could it have possibly been when you visited the Keys or some undesirable climate since roaches thrive in climates such as what one will find there and unfortunately, here is Texas too.

Here is a post from someone who has lived in CO for years.

I have been in Colorado since 1971 and have never seen roaches or heard of them. We do have ants, some harmless beetles, and mosquitos in wet areas but compared to the midwest and other areas, "no" bugs. The ground freezes too hard in the winter for that sort of thing to survive.

My great-nephew lived there for two years and never saw a roach.
Nope, it WAS in Colorado. It was a ski trip w/ a church group and came to be deemed the "ski trip from hell". Trust me............ IT WAS ON THAT TRIP!!! Besides, I was in the tub and I hardly EVER take baths but had to since there was no shower in that room.

Here are some links from Colorado that show what kinds of roaches can be found there:
Cockroaches
FYI, not for the weak stomached

Here, even on this thread in the Colorado forum some posters dispell the rumors that they don't exist there:
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...6-roaches.html

Actually, in the place we stayed in down in The Keys we had little bitty sugar ants. Had to put EVERYTHING food related in the fridge. Even a box of Pop-Tarts that were still sealed were not immune from those little devils. Oh, and the place we stayed at was not a dive either. I actually highly recommend Hawks Cay. Florida Keys Resort & Marina - Hawks Cay Resort - Luxury Resort in the Florida Keys, Fl.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Maybe it was a beetle? Or a ghost roach....
Ghost roach. LOL!!! I'm pretty sure that being this was in the winter and I'm fair skinned if I had gone running down the hotel corridor butt naked they would have assumed I was a ghost.

No beetle either. I know what those look like and they don't have the long antena that roaches do that this critter had. Okay folks, I'm getting the willies as that memory can sure give it to me. Not just the bathtub/roach encounter but the entire trip. Trust me, when the preacher says, "ski trip from hell" you KNOW it's bad. My dh quipped back saying, "at least it's not TO".

Old 06-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Her

298 posts, read 868,958 times
Hahaha this post made my day. In New Mexico we get the flying ones. My dad used to get up in the middle of the night with a flyswatter to do maintenance. I still remember the horror. We didnt have any until some really seedy neighbors moved in. Now we find them coming up the sink The other night I was doing the dishes and when I opened the silver ware drawer, a humongo roach was trying to catapult at my face off a spoon. Talk about doing a ***!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Holy @@$@$#@!
WHAT IS UP WITH THE SIZE OF THE ROACHES DOWN HERE!!!
This dream move to Texas is turning up some pretty nasty little added benefits!
I've found a roach in my sun room last week (just wandered in, right?) and just five minutes ago found another one as big as a credit card inside my cereal bowl INSIDE my Kitchen cabinet. I am utterly freaked out!!! After doing a *** all over the kitchen and smashing the monster to bits I am ready to throw up!
How common is this? I've got a contract with a pest control company who will only be able to come out on Friday to spray the place. Friday!! Heck I'm terrified of entering the kitchen anymore! I haven't seen roaches this big in 13 years!
So what does this mean?? Is this house infested?? We just bought it this spring but I cleaned those cabinets out really well! Where on earth are these da&**d things hiding? HEEEELLLP!!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:23 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
We had one 'ski trip from hell' (bus stuck in ice, then it broke down a couple of times - stayed for hours at bus stations, horrible motel with no heat, hail falling on everyone trapped on a stopped ski-lift) way back in my days in the church youth group and it turned out to be the one everyone always talks about ... a little namedropping here - Peri Gilpin (Frasier) went to my church so I always say I used to go skiing with her...

In the Keys if you see a roach you don't care. But they do have those ants which disturb your Key Lime Pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas