Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,247 times

Advertisements

We plan to move to Texas, and we would love you to tell us what you like, or even what you don't like about Texas, and maybe more precisely about Plano (any pictures of Plano ?), or the Dallas area...
We thank you in advance for giving us some tips

Last edited by Claire&Serge; 06-17-2006 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 09:11 PM

34 posts, read 157,368 times
Default Likes and dislikes about Plano, DFW and Texas

Oh boy.. you're gonna be sorry..

Likes: I love the 'Texas attitude' although, I will admit, there are some here who have their own "attitude"... nose stuck up in the air, wouldn't speak if their life depended on it, don't care if anyone around them is alive or dead, no matters, no consideration, no courtesy. Yea, I know, transplants.. imports.. non-natives.. but the sad thing is those numbers are growing each day and if someone don't teach them the Texas attitude, we're going to lose it then it'll be transplant attitude.
I like it when I walk into a store the clerks speak. It makes me feel welcome and that could easily mean more $$ spent there. Even when I walk into Comp USA or Circuit City and am looking around, it's not unusual for a store clerk to come up to me and ask if I need any help. I sure didn't find THAT in California. In CA, I swear most employees hid when customers came in.
I love the weather. It's hot.. real hot to some.. 90s (F.) and it'll hit 100 F. many times over the summer. I don't mind the thunderstorms unless they hit at 3 in the morning (which is their preferred time to show up) and wake me out of a sound sleep but even then, it's 'weather' which is something California was seriously lacking in during most of the summer.
The cost of housing is impressive and somewhat unbelieveable. One can easily get a nice house in an equally nice neighborhood for under $150,000 although I see they are now building subdivisions with houses from $450,000 up so it's coming but at least it's not here yet.
The cost of food is also decent. Of course, beef is relatively cheap (DUH) I've been buying bananas at 39 cents a pound since I got here. Organic prices are what I paid for regular bananas in California. Soda is ridiculously cheap... 2+ cases for $10. Gas is high everywhere but under $3.00 a gallon here (for now.. *knock on wood*).
The highway infrastructure is worth mentioning. The DFW Area had the insight, years ago, to build roads that would accomodate a lot more cars than they had when they built them. Multilane thoroughfares (2 and 3 in each direction) are extremely common here which allows surface street traffic to move quickly. North Dallas is blessed with 6 main arteries (and they need them)... 35E, 121, Bush Tollway, North Dallas Tollway (or Parkway), 75 (North Central Expressway) and LBJ (635) plus they had the insight to put in tolltags a decade before some areas thought of it.
Shopping is everywhere and I do mean *EVERYWHERE*. If you love to shop the North of Dallas area is for you. Two outlet malls within 30 miles east or west plus at least 4-5 standard malls and that isn't counting the shopping centers that seem to be on almost every corner. You may find though, that you will have to drive clear across town to get to the stores you are used to driving just a few blocks (or miles) to get to. This area is *VERY SPREAD OUT*.

I know there's a lot more that I just can't think of right at this moment so will get to the other side of the coin before I put everyone to sleep...

Part 1 of 2

Old 06-18-2006, 09:13 PM

34 posts, read 157,368 times
Default and the dislikes....

Dislikes: I dislike the attitude that some people have... the imports.. the non-natives... the transplants. I know, I'm a transplant too but I don't exactly see myself as one. I lived here before and was forced to leave and even though I am one, I'm a Texan in my heart. Hopefully that counts for something.
Drivers... Oh boy, some of the drivers here must have gotten their license out of a shoe box. They leave barely 1 car length between them and the car in front of them no matter the speed. 70? 30? 50? NO matter... ONE car length. That makes for a lot of rearend collisions.. and they wonder why. DUH! Speeders abound. A long time ago, I recall a Johnny Carson monologue that went something like... we have 4 lanes on our freeways here in California... 55, 65, 75 and get the hell out of my way! That goes double here! I did notice when I first got here and was driving along the surface streets with my California plates on, it was rare for a car to pass me. I went the speed limit and they stayed behind me. But, once I got my Texas plates on the truck, they went around me like I was sitting still. They change lanes at the drop of a hat and they never move just ONE lane over. It seems it's always at least 2 lanes and if possible, 3. I will say that they do tend to use their turn signals a lot more than Californians do. And oh... they run red lights like no other drivers I have ever seen! OMG! If someone goes through on the yellow, the two drivers behind them will go through too... at least one blatantly on the red. Even the 5 second delay before the red changes to green for opposing traffic isn't enough. If you are at the light, ALWAYS count to 5 before you hit the gas and even then, check cross traffic and that's no exaggeration. They are finally putting up cameras at some of the major intersections (they need them at EVERY intersection that has a traffic light) and are reporting very high numbers of fines being given.
Another thing that bothers me is the escalating crime rate. It's pretty scary when cars are getting hijacked in the middle of the day from busy parking lots or people are getting robbed at gas stations when others are around or women are getting their purses stolen right out of their shopping carts in busy stores.
Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with a blatant lack of police presence. I am used to seeing police cars driving up and down the roads, it's called patroling, on a regular basis. That doesn't happen here. Police just do not seem to patrol... must be the rising gas prices.

This could be a like, or a dislike, depending on your sweet tooth.... one thing that is in overabundance here is... donut shops. I swear, there is one in every corner shopping center in North Dallas and beyond. There's one intersection in North Dallas ... 3 little shopping centers on each of the corners... and EACH of them has a donut shop in it. if the other intersection didn't have a gas station they'd probably have a donut shop there too. *Laughs* Funny thing is... they all seem to be doing a good busines... which really makes me wonder... where ARE those police cruisers anyway?!

Anyway, I am sure this will be one of the longest posts ever put up on the forum and I apologize to all who attempt to read it and get this far. There's just so much to like, and dislike, about the area... I could go on and on. But, and I think this is the bottom line.... I'd still move back here in a heartbeat!

Lany

Old 06-18-2006, 11:24 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,648 times
Don't stop writing about Texas. We love it. Those of us who want to know, this is great. I read it all and liked what I read. Honesty. Thanks leny

Old 06-22-2006, 11:57 AM

8 posts, read 37,349 times
Lany, you're wonderful, hon! I do agree about the attitudes of the transplants. Maybe if they're here long enough they'll pick up on some Southern hospitality.

As far as the crime rate, I would have to say that with the influx of people here, crime will rise proportionately but there are definitely alot of safe areas in which to live. I would, of course, be sure to keep my wits about me in and around the malls like you mentioned Lany, but that's common sense anyway, in any big city. I do, however, see police cruising the neighborhoods quite often where I live. I live on the border of Grand Prairie and Arlington and I see them often in both cities.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:33 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,965 times
hmmmm, funny.....I moved to the DFW area 7 years ago from San Diego and I find San Diego to be much more friendly. I also find that most of the people I like out here are NOT natives. customer service seems to be non existant out here.........and California drivers might be crazy....but at least they don't drive stupid!! The traffic infrastructure must of been designed by an idiot....it's confusing......not lit up at night.......not enough exit warnings and the frontage roads drive me nuts!! I can get directions in LA and SD and find where I'm going very easily.......in DFW? people who have lived here all their lives have trouble giving directions. The only thing I like out here is the schools and the price of my home.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:35 PM

OMG!! Where is this southern hospitality people keep talking about???

Old 06-24-2006, 12:40 PM

702 posts, read 2,722,951 times
People who are not content with where they live should basically just pack up and move to where they are happy. I have experienced Shannon94's attitude many times with Californinans and I always advise them to move back with a nice big smile on my face!

Old 06-24-2006, 05:13 PM

46 posts, read 131,824 times
Default Baking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan
Well,two thoughts.

One,you seem to be one of the few not experiencing the hospitality,and

Two,your previous post is one long b*tch about how things suck here and are way better in CA.

You reckon # 2 has something to do with # 1?
*ggl*
Um... I reckon' it might... one of the reasons this girl is heading East, away from CA, is because there is woefully sparse hospitality here in the land of nuts and flakes. Only other people from Texas who moved to CA appreciated my insistence on starting a conversation with "Hi, how are you? [not faking sincere interest in their answer while waiting for them to in fact answer] I'm doing good [stopped saying "fair to middlin'" within 5 minutes of moving], what can I do for you?" [again, I mean it, not just wasting my breath]"
I'm not looking forward to working much harder for much less (sad but true, you do work less and get paid more in CA, at least you do in LA and SF), but I want to feel like I belong. I'm basically trying to save my own life, 'cos out here, I am turning to dust. In LA, you have to live in the 310 area code or you're just not worth associating with - and, it helps if you're gay. LA is a company town, so get an entertainment related job, or you're not worth associating with.
In SF, just be gay. Or you're not... exactly. Yipes! That sounds so bad, don't it... I'm sorry... but, honest... I'm not disparaging gays - they make the best pajama party girlfriends - I just mean it's just how it is. (I'm bracing for a gay backlash to this comment, so I'm baking a cake. Chocolate, drrrrenched in cherries.) One time, years ago, I exited the BART at Castro Street, by mistake, on Gay Pride Parade day. Talk about Sudden Twilight Zone. Open display of naked men wearing just chaps. I Am Not Kidding.
Ok, so, though I shoulda' moved at least 10 years ago, at last I've had enough.
I think I'm moving to Longview/Mt. Pleasant. Trouble is, most towns I research are made up mostly of married-with-kids, not very single-friendly. And, I think I'm going to have to convert to Christianity. Uh-oh. I think I'm getting dirty looks from a different group now. Ok, wait, wait, I'm baking a pecan pie and I got some Blue Bell vanilla in the freezer!
*pulls out To-Do*
Sell furniture... check. Pack plates tipped on their sides, not flat... check. Get letters of good pay history from utility companies... check. Scour local book store for used Bible, so it looks like I've been using it faithfully for my whole life... check. I have a wicked little sense of humor.
Oh, and thanks Lany for your two part post, very fun and very educational.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1
People who are not content with where they live should basically just pack up and move to where they are happy. I have experienced Shannon94's attitude many times with Californinans and I always advise them to move back with a nice big smile on my face!

Oh I'm very happy!!! I was just responding to the hospitality thing out here. I've talked to people from other states , and for that matter from here, who feel the same way. I guess it's only ok to bash California on this site. If you had seen any of my other posts ...I said some nice things to say about Texas too...

Your response is typical Texan.......thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas