Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 10,334 times

Advertisements

I am a thirty-ish professional and have found it frustating and difficult searching for a job from a distance. In light of this, I am thinking about taking the plunge and leaving the Northeast and my job and setting up house in Dallas. In this case, I would have an easier time job hunting and getting to local interviews; but, at the same time, I am concerned about the requirements for leasing an apartment in Dallas.

Questions:

What types of background information are typically required by realtors and/or prospective landlords in Dallas? Do they require proof of employment? If so, would it help for me to pay for a few months upfront?

Any advice pertaining to my questions would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,823 times
I've owned a couple of condos that I have used as rental properties and the first thing I ask for is that the potential tenant fill out an application with references and authorize a credit check. I rely on the credit report more than anything else. If someone has awful credit and/or lots of deregotory comments on the report, then I am not about to rent to them. Not having a job is somewhat of a concern to me, but I would probably just ask for a larger deposit. I know that large apartment companies (Post Properties for example) will also do a criminal background check.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM

339 posts, read 1,436,394 times
Don't know how helpful this is, but here's an sample of the typical TX rental contract:

http://www.taa.org/assets/PDF/renter/2007%20rental%20application%20-%20for%20website.pdf (broken link)

Credit history and a criminal check, as already mentioned, is pretty much a given. I'd be wary of a property that didn't require that because it could reflect on the quality of your neighbors/landlord. However, in my experience, most properties aren't looking for an absolute perfect angel, rather they need you to be up front on the application should you have made some blunders. Especially in smaller communities, I found leasing agents to be pretty flexible.

Though some rentals, especially the more upscale properties, have income ratio requirements--you must prove you earn 3X+ a mo what you owe in rent. Paycheck stubs or proof of deposits should suffice. Your former employer faxing something in could be helpful too.

My experiences with corporate owners/large complexes varied greatly than when I rented from an individual. I once had very sweet old lady ask me for 6 character references, lol.

Dallas' number of apartment/condo communities is mind-blowing. Having so many folks relocating to the area, with a job or still searching, is so common that I'd be surprised if you ran into any major problems as long as you can prove a solid rental history and were gainfully employed at your previous location. Besides, no one in a free-lance situation could ever find a home if every community was 100% picky. My (now) husband relocated here from Philly and when he was in-between jobs, no one asked for the rent months in advance.

Good luck!!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:15 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallorder5793 View Post
Any advice pertaining to my questions would be most appreciated. Thank you.
I would try looking for a place leased by a guy who owns a property or two, rather than a Managment Company.
Many management companies can't or won't budge from the official requirements, which usually include a job. Individuals will work with you more.
I remember a complex refusing to rent me an apt for a year when I was an unemployed student. This despite the fact that i offered to prepay the entire years rent.
Believe me I had no trouble getting an individual to agree to those terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: