Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,454 times

Advertisements

I remember when my dad relocated in Tennessee after the breakup of AT&T. We were lucky and found a house on a lake exactly as we wanted. I am now relocating from Dallas to Orlando and would love to help an AT&T employee having to move to Dallas. Moderator cut: use Direct Message, please

Last edited by Marka; 09-03-2008 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 35,638 times
Thank you all for all your replies. I am in Dallas as I type this and so far today we have combed through the Lakewood area and White Rock Lake or whatever little community is near Lakewood. I thought theres was supposed to be more of a coffeeshop/artsy feel to that side of town but maybe I got confused with some other place. We traveled through Garland and Richardson (by accident) on our way to the Plano Nordstrom Rack (we had to make a pitstop there lol) and please no offenese but were not too impressed w/ it. There are nice homes there but I think my mom is looking for a more hopping place to be. I am her only daughter and grown and have a family of my own so no need for her to be out in the suburbs w/ the soccer moms. I think tomorrow we will head to the uptown area. I love the house pictured above...maybe there are some rentals in that area. My mom is not looking to buy, she is keeping her home in San Antonio since she only has a little over a year w/ the company before she retires.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:39 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If you go to Uptown be sure to drive up McKinney all the way past West Village to Knox-Henderson, that may have the feel she is looking for. SMU, Mockingbird Station and Lower Greenville are all close by. Turtle Creek is also a must-see (not that hopping but beautiful). Katy Trail is in between McKinney and Turtle Creek.

It's hard to find your way around Lakewood on your own - we used to say if you have a party you have to give out maps.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
AT&T Plaza is downtown on Jackson, between Field and Akard. Buses run by there continuously and stop for the Plaza, including commuter buses. The train runs parallel to Jackson but three blocks away, along Elm and would be a walk to the Plaza. There are two buildings in the Plaza and another across Jackson. There are three gated and monitored AT&T parking garages at the Plaza with tunnels for protected access.

Access by auto from the Uptown or Oak Lawn areas is easy, along Turtle Creek or McKinney.

There are some nice lofts/condos in the immediate vicinity.

Immediately next door is DPL Flats, rental.

Directly across Jackson from AT&T Plaza and DPL Flats is the InterUrban Building (http://www.interurbanbuilding.com/photo_gallery_b.html - broken link), a pretty cool looking place and has a market and cafe in the first floor.

There are additional places at this link. I listed that one because I used to work on the 7th floor at the ATT Plaza, looking directly at that building.

Last edited by WillysB; 09-02-2008 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Aren't the Third Rail Lofts right there too? The DP&L building also has the really cool :: Welcome To Fuse Dallas ::

Be sure to go upstairs in the back to the huge outside patio.

The Kirby Building is also just around the corner - our dallasmetropolis group had a party at the rooftop pool - pretty cool, too.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
same thing with empty nesters moving into the downtown FTW/Sundance Sq area
they like the activities close to hand that the downtown offers and in FTW especially--it is very safe to walk around at night...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas