Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:48 AM

8 posts, read 15,082 times

Advertisements

Several good questions have been asked. Understand that I am somewhat the messenger here and I don't necessarily agree with all of this.

1) selling or giving the equipment to a different (private) entity. First, certain regulatory issues do not go away so and some amplify. One example: ADA. (Americans with disabilities act) There is a limited sense of grandfathering under ADA, but giving it to another entity would kick in ADA immediately if I understand ADA correctly. Also, the city takes on liability of a different sort when they transfer it. Lastly, the city loses control. The equipment could be separated, modified, or destroyed at a future time.

2) Simply closing the rocket or sealing off other pieces. The rocket can still be climbed on from the outside. In fact, kids try to do that now and teenagers occasionally make it to the top. Well what then? Various ideas have been floated about how to turn it into art. My idea was to host a design competition and let artists, designers, architects, or whomever submit ideas about how to change the pieces into art while respecting their history. Simply sealing off the rocket is also not visually satisfying.

tycobb2522, Thanks for your complements. I might also suggest you read the original essay I wrote. A link to it can be found in the article at the beginning of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:01 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,907 times
What I don't get about the ADA is that it claims to make life equal for the disabled, when in fact it is giving special treatment. It's just anther stupid piece of legislation forced on us by the whiny PC do gooders.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:13 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
What I don't get about the ADA is that it claims to make life equal for the disabled, when in fact it is giving special treatment. It's just anther stupid piece of legislation forced on us by the whiny PC do gooders.
Ever seen the Penn and Teller Bull---- episode on the ADA.
Excellent look at this law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas