Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 PM

12 posts, read 35,676 times

Advertisements

I've decided this whole business of trying to find a home in a town you know nothing about is extremely frustrating!

My husband is transfering to the Dallas VA Hospital, which is located at 4500 South Lancaster Road in south Dallas. These are the things we are looking for in a neighborhood:

Big Backyard
Lots of Trees
Not close to any major highways or old duplexes, apartments
Fairly new homes (built later than the 80's)
Short commute to the Dallas VA
Prices less than $175,000
Not too much culture shock (like I said, we're coming from a very small Texas Panhandle town that is anything but diverse in it's culture - we're just not used to the diversity in the Dallas area)

I know this is a lot to ask for and is probably impossible, but I was hoping for some direction on where to start looking. I have read all the posts about how bad South Dallas is getting, but without ever having seen the different areas of Dallas I don't know which ones fit into our wants/needs. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:09 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,485,010 times
Look at Forney, Crandall, Red Oak.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,058,771 times
Sounds like you want a fairly rural setting. You will not find that in the city of Dallas proper and there are not many nearby burbs that fit the bill. I was suggest places like Waxachie, Palmer, Red Oak etc. The VA is in a pretty bad part of town (I grew up in the area) so look at some of the small communities in the southern sector of Dallas.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:22 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,110,631 times
You may want to look in Glenn Heights as well.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,918,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsTexas View Post
Big Backyard
Lots of Trees
Not close to any major highways or old duplexes, apartments
Fairly new homes (built later than the 80's)
Short commute to the Dallas VA
Prices less than $175,000
Not too much culture shock (like I said, we're coming from a very small Texas Panhandle town that is anything but diverse in it's culture - we're just not used to the diversity in the Dallas area
If you don't mind my asking, what small town are you coming from? I'm pretty familiar w/ most of them and my own mother moved from a teeny map dot of a town up there to Dallas when she was a kid. She was in culture shock THEN and that was back in the 1950's.

1. If you go w/ the "popular" suburbs of Frisco, McKinney, Allen, etc your not going to find the BIG backyard to give you the space your probably wanting. Are you wanting closer to an acre or two? Or just the BIG subdivision lots?
2. NOt going to be possible unless you move into an older existing neighborhood or stay to the northeast portion of Dallas County or go far east of Dallas.
3. Can keep you away from the old apartments and duplexes. But, how far away do you want to be from a highway? Around here you are going to be w/in a few miles of ANY highway. Being your probably going to be located out a bit your going to want to be near some highway. There are also areas w/in Dallas that fit all of your other points but are close to several highways (although you wouldn't know it as they are kind of secluded).
4. No problem here unless you really like the closer in neighborhoods of Dallas that would give you your other likes.
5. Your going to have to give up something to get this one. It might be the BIG backyard and for sure the close to highways and possibly apartments.
6. Okay, not much of a problem depending on what area and how long of a commute you want.

Then there are PLENTY of places to avoid.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:00 PM

216 posts, read 716,575 times
its going to be really hard to avoid "diversity" in whatever neighborhood you move into as the area in general is very diverse.

waxahachie, red oak, crandall e.t.c might not be "diverse" now but what if somebody from another culture moves next door to you? are you going to move?these areas will become increasingly diverse in the coming years.

the only truly monolithic community is Highland park and its environs though youll need alot more than 175k to move there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas