Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:50 AM

262 posts, read 486,603 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that there will be no charges filed, but it'll be turned over to a Dallas jury, who will set him free without blinking an eye.

Last edited by PennyGWoods; 07-12-2008 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 07:13 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,497,598 times
Just curious where the outcry is....

Joe Horn was a good case to stir the racism pot. That's pathetic.

These cases actually happen daily.....but they don't fit in some folks agenda.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:42 AM

438 posts, read 1,784,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
is this enough to shoot someone over?
People should protect their property.

I would prefer conviction and hard labor to killing thieves, but I wasn't there on the roof. Perhaps jailing them in unairconditioned quarters would be appropriate, since they effectively steal other people's AC.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:57 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,244,706 times
As I understand this was not the first time someone had stole the copper from this businesses A/C. So the total cost for repairs and replacement is probably pretty high. It' was probably extremely frustrating for the business owners as they had been the victim of this crime more than once. I believe the law states you have the right to use deadly force if they threaten you or your property. It's not that theft should be a crime punishable by death, but those who choose to steal are choosing to put themself in position to be shot and killed.

There was a case in Plano a few years ago where a young man attempted to steal some beer from a supermarket. An employee gave chase and caught up with the theif in the road median. The thief in is efforts to get away stepped into on coming traffic and was killed. His mother then tried to sue and claimed her son was a "good kid". Sorry but good kids do not steal, and do not drink under age. Just another case of people setting themselves up.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,497,598 times
I'm sure the A/C or refrigeration theft was extremely expensive. Who knows what it went to (bargain town???)....could be all kinds of hidden losses.

The copper itself probably wouldn't get him more than $200......unless it was a chiller or something.

"several recent copper thefts for the same business"

I hope at least insurance helped.....HVAC on roof tops are extremely expensive to replace.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:16 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,910,002 times
Yes Mary, the business had already had this happend TWICE in the last few weeks. Sorry for who this might offend but DO NOT STEAL!!! And if you break into my business 2x in a week I'll be there waiting w/ a loaded gun myself. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! Business owners are getting fed up and protecting what is rightfully theirs to protect. The police can't be everywhere all the time and most times these thieves are not caught. The cities are trying to clamp down on the scrap yards (someone should ) but the idiots keep stealing from INNOCENT PEOPLE!

Besides, it is not just the $200 in cooper that was stolen. It is the total cost of all repairs, the lose of business (who wants to shop in June/July in a store w/ no a/c), HIGHER INSURANCE rates due to more claims, etc. There is much more to it than the $200.

If your stupid enough to go steal or rob from the same business 3x's in a few weeks................ well, just a good citizen doing their job to clean out the gene pool.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,910,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I hope at least insurance helped.....HVAC on roof tops are extremely expensive to replace.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! Um, NO, business insurance probably won't come close to covering this. Even if it DID their rates are going to go thru the roof after having 2 such claims already IF they did claim it and it was covered. Most business insurance has a VERY HIGH deductible and even though this equipment is very expensive it may not have covered it. The price of doing business is not as cheap as many make it out to be.

Folks, this is one reason why prices are going up. Businesses that get hit w/ these kinds of thefts have to cover the costs somewhere. Everyone should be enraged over these kinds of thefts.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:25 AM

3,822 posts, read 8,756,047 times
Add that insurance into the cost of the thefts. If this has happened more than a couple times, the insurance rates are probably skyrocketing.

This guy is a small business owner and the thefts are costing him time and money to deal with the aftermath - dealing with the police, getting it repaired, not being able to open and then having to go thru it all over and over. Chances are it's the same thief, he'd know that it would get repaired and would have to just give it a little time and then hit it all over again.

Certainly it would have been better if the thief had dropped to his knees and allowed the police to show up, but it doesn't appear that happened. The Castle law does allow this response and perhaps this will cause at least one potential thief from trying it.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:30 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,244,706 times
How about the copper theives who have stolen copper from churches and schools? Should kids have to go to school and suffer, or be dismissed from class and lose valuable learning time? The people stealing copper are usually drug addicts anyways, so good riddance.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:15 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,756,047 times
In addition to stealing the copper from AC units, there's also a huge problem with stealing copper electrical from construction sites. One of these days some idiot will try stealing energized cable and get himself a well deserved electrocutrocution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: