Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times

Advertisements

Has he lost it again? We don't need this kind of national exposure. It just perpetuates a stereotype. If this was another time, I could see an Emily Litella skit about this.

Dallas County commissioner John Wiley Price's lack of understanding of space phenomena is now national news | pegasusnews.com | Dallas / Fort Worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 11:09 AM

262 posts, read 486,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
It just confirms a stereotype.
Which is?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 AM

The Emily Litella reference is a big indicator of the stereotype I was referring to. What other stereotype would have implied? I reworded it to say that it perpetuated a stereotype, confirmed was the wrong word. Although, in some people's minds, it is all they need to confirm the stereotype of another dumb southerner or dumb Texas.

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-14-2008 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Emily Litella
Who?

Quote:
What other stereotype would have implied?
Black men = angry & stupid. You don't think this would make national news if JWP was white, do you? What JWP said was dumb as a box of rocks, but that doesn't make it news.

Quote:
Although, in some people's minds, it is all they need to confirm the stereotype of another dumb southerner or dumb Texas.
People who believe those things are going to believe them, period. Who cares?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post
Who?
Gilda Radner character from SNL - 1977.

Quote:
Black men = angry & stupid. You don't think this would make national news if JWP was white, do you? What JWP said was dumb as a box of rocks, but that doesn't make it news.
Hmm, I did not know "angry & stupid" was such a stereotype. I do believe that crosses all sorts of racial boundaries. hehehe Well, if that is true then he really needs get a clue, as that makes him his own problem without realizing it. Or at least he needs to get an education or at least let someone that is a little smarter than him to review his comments before he spouts off. I was thinking you might have thought I was possibly referring to people that we have had working for the City of Dallas, and not an indictment of any particular race. Shows you what I was thinking. Silly me.

Quote:
People who believe those things are going to believe them, period. Who cares?
I do. A little education that he is not typical of other Texans will only go toward reducing their ignorance.

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-14-2008 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Well, if that is true then he really needs get a clue, as that makes him his own problem without realizing it.
The problem is the people who believe that kind of thing. You think I care what people think of me when they see me in my cornrows or rocking my Afro? Eff 'em, and eff anybody who would look at ONE person and apply his poor traits to an entire group of people - blacks, men, southerners, people with big teeth, or whatever.

Quote:
I do.
Perhaps you shouldn't. I'm sure it would lower your blood pressure.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Good for you, and my blood pressure is fine, but thanks for your concern. What's the saying, "never give your opponent anything that they beat you with." He's just embarrasing. He is the one that is caring way too much, and just ends up looking like an idiot.

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-14-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
An overreaction is what caused the contretemps -- most of us just know JWP wants attention and laugh it off..Judge Jones however is another story!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
too bad there was only one Barbara Jordan
we could certainly use someone of her strength, intelligence, and eloquence in the US Congress today--and in local politics
Imagine if she instead of Nancy Pelosi were Speaker of the House---

and Steve Blow's commentary was just weak---
JWP missed too many "teachable moments" in school
and how anyone can be labeled Judge and so lack judgement is true irony in action

Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
too bad there was only one Barbara Jordan
She would've made an excellent president. Ditto for Ann Richards.

Quote:
What's the saying, "never give your opponent anything that they beat you with." He's just embarrasing. He is the one that is caring way too much, and just ends up looking like an idiot.
Especially when we have people like you who are willing to feed into the stereotypes and make a non-issue an issue. Thanks, PanTerra!

I give my "opponents" plenty of stuff to beat me with, and they still don't beat me. Now what?

*J5-boppin' out of this thread with my big-ass Afro and HBCU education, laughing at anyone who has a problem with it*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas