Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2007, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,601 times

Advertisements

Our family is considering a move from southern Cali to the Dalla area. My husband is a teacher and I am a barber/stylist. I have researched and the school districts and realize that he will be taking a slight pay cut, but the savings on the mortgage and gas (traffic) balance it. Does anyone know the typical rate for male hair cuts. How much do the average barbers make in the dallas area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 08:20 PM

13 posts, read 121,266 times
Default barber/stylist

I think there is a big difference between a barber and a stylist. Are you a local barber or do you work for a larger salon? I get my hair cut at one of those franchised joints like Great Clips. They do a pretty good job as long as I get the same person to cut my hair each time. I pay 13 bucks for the cut and usually give a 2 or 3 dollar tip.

Now if that's the kind of place you are talking about then you should find plenty of places that will be hiring when you get here.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,148,644 times
My old barber was charging $8 a cut; but he was in Hillsboro, which is a bit aways from the Metroplex. While I don't know for sure, I would expect that to be a reasonable "minimum" price.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,690,100 times
$15 is typically the norm for a male haircut in the metroplex.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:59 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,656,725 times
Hey Teachme, Personally I had a lady barber cut and color my hair for 9 years here in Texas. She was excellent and rented a chair out in a nice salon/ day spa with other hair dressers. I though don't live too close to her now and have a cosmotologist doing my hair, but just loved the way she cut and colored my hair.

There are just a few things that hold distinction between the 2 professions? With a barber being able to trim and dye mustaches right? I know my hair dresser told me once but I just can't remember. She charged the same rates as the other hair dressers who were cosmotologist and she was always booked.

Just so you know this and I am sure it is the same there that what you charge really depends on your experience over the years, your training and continued education. I love to get my hair colored and cut and go on a regular basis, every 6 weeks. So it is important for me personally to find someone who is not only good but is reasonable. I have been to Tony and Guy trained hair dressers since moving back but just a few months ago discovered a wonderful hairdresser who isn't T&G trained and is much more reasonable. That is the key for me. There is a huge competition it seems in the industry here because of Tony& Guy and their hair dressing schools. That school and that company are really industry leaders throughout the US so you can imagine how many people have come out of those schools here working. Too most of those hair dressers are really good.

My hairstyle is a textured bob with full foil highlights. I am running about 110 dollars every 6 weeks. I also tip 10%. My hair dresser also cuts my daughters hair for 12 dollars ( she is a child) and then I tip on top of that.
I think the standard for just a hair cut for a woman is going to run 30- 40 dollars or less if you are working at one of the chain salons which I would not really recommend because it is usually a 60- 40 split with YOU taking the less. I do recommend leasing chairs here because you can set your own rates and be in charge of your own business.

If you are really good and keep your edcuation up on the latest techniques you can build a great clientel here. You can also advertise your serves in local magazines that show how you were trained, any awards you have won and with a coupon to get people through the door to see you.

Oh too,

I find the saying that women in Texas have BIG HAIR with wings and layers such a falsity. Then when I see a makeover and someone from Texas doing a makeover on a national show, I wonder what closet they pulled that person from because I just don't see many women with big hair here like that. In the 17 yrs that I have been in DFW I have seen maybe 2 women like that, one my mil who is from NY and 40 yr old doctor from Jersey. So know that you are coming to an area where people want to have good hair . Just the facts. You can soar! If you have any questions on where to work, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: