Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
In Houston, there is only one Chinese/Asian market, which is located in Bellaire and maybe few others. It's nice to know that Dallas has one in virtually every suburb. I like Chinese food and Asian cooking ingredient.
Houston's Asian population is a lot larger & denser than D/FW's. Its the largest concentration of Asians in the whole entire Southern United States. "New Chinatown" is located on Bellaire in Southwest Houston & "Old Chinatown" is located in east downtown. There is also a "Little Saigon" in Midtown where even the street signs are written in Vietnamese, similar to the Chinese street signs in New Chinatown on Bellaire Blvd. Though Houston has a smaller Korean population than Dallas, its still sizable enough to have a Korean Town (locally known as simply "K-Town") which is located in the Spring Branch area of West Houston.

There are Hong Kong Markets all over Houston, the Mall on Bellaire is just the main one. Northwest Houston off Veterans Memorial & Southeast Houston off Scarsdale also have Hong Kong Markets located within Asian shopping plazas which could be considered "mini" Chinatowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 10:29 PM

627 posts, read 1,622,268 times
Does Dallas have any of these Chinatowns or Mini-Chinatowns? If so, where?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Does Dallas have any of these Chinatowns or Mini-Chinatowns? If so, where?
The only "official" designated Chinatown in D/FW is in Richardson off Beltline & Greenville near old downtown Richardson, but its VERY small. A new Asian mini mall just opened in Garland off of Jupiter & Beltline which is fairly large. The other mini mall that just opened in Grand Prairie which is almost identical to the one in Garland is located off Pioneer & Great Southwest. These are both the largest Asian markets in D/FW now.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times
Well, many stores that are supposedly ethnic Vietnamese are owned by Chinese or Hoa (Ethnic Chinese from Vietnam).
I know that Garland has a Chinatown of sorts, although Dallas does not officially have a Chinatown Asian Markets are scattered throughout the metropolitan area.
Vietnamese markets are perhaps the most Common, and several can be found in Arlington, Irving, Garland, and Carrollton.
These do a good job of supplying a Chinese kitchen, as I am familiar with the Chinese community as I claim Chinese decent.
If you want actual Chinese grocers, I know there is one in Richardson, a few in Plano Garland, and I think one in Arlington called as mentioned Hong Kong market...there two of these in the metropolitan area, one is in arlington...the other I forget.
Plano and Richardson are noted for their large Chinese communities.
There is also various Korean markets, one that stick out in my mind is H-mart, a large super-asian-market.
And then you'll probably be able to find a few in the Korean town in Northwest Dallas.
But yeah... for strictly Chinese markets, there a few...
i always thought there were more Chinese markets in Houston as it is more noted for it's Chinese community.

There is a new china-town arising in Plano, Richardson has a small area of Shops, and I'm pretty sure the Small area the poster above is referring to is in Garland no?
Anyways, many of the Vietnamese enclaves a few Chinese, but as for actual Towns...strictly Chinese just Garland, Plano, and Richardson.
Possibly Arlington too...

Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
do a google map for your town and then search for Asian/Chinese/Vietnamese/Korean--whatever groceries
simple

Old 09-09-2008, 04:43 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,239 times
Sunday, my wife wanted to go to a market she was told about called "H Mart". It's located on the NW corner of Old Denton Road and the George Bush in Carrollton. My Gosh! You should see this place! It's Central Market and Whole Foods gone Korean! The store was very clean, even on a very busy Sunday afternoon! The produce was fabulous! My wife was very pleased with the prices too. The employees were also very pleasant and helpful including the Asian customers who help with a lot of what might have been silly questions. I highly recommend it!

Old 09-09-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I'm pretty sure the Small area the poster above is referring to is in Garland no?
Downtown Richardson off 75 N./Beltline East/Greenville Ave. is where Dallas' only "official" Chinatown is located, & yes its VERY small.

Garland is mostly Vietnamese businesses mixed with Hispanic & a few Korean stores along Walnut & Jupiter. Its hardly a Chinatown...

Just because theres a strip mall style development with an Asian market & a few businesses surrounding it doesn't make it a Chinatown. Bellaire in Houston is an exception though given its enormous size & Asiatic influence, its whats called a suburban Chinatown & is very similar in style to the Asian district in Monterey Park, California (suburban Los Angeles)

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-09-2008 at 06:00 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 07:38 PM

627 posts, read 1,622,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Hoa (Ethnic Chinese from Vietnam).
Really? I never heard of Hoa. Do they look Chinese or Vietnamese? What are their common last names?

Quote:
These do a good job of supplying a Chinese kitchen, as I am familiar with the Chinese community as I claim Chinese decent.
Are you a Hoa?

I really like the Vietnamese (is it?) fast food place called Lee's Sandwiches. Unfortunately, there is none in Dallas.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times
Quote:
Really? I never heard of Hoa. Do they look Chinese or Vietnamese? What are their common last names?

Are you a Hoa?

I really like the Vietnamese (is it?) fast food place called Lee's Sandwiches. Unfortunately, there is none in Dallas.
You should check their website then ...

Lee Sandwiches

It's opened more recently than the one in Oklahoma City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas